Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Parker Poppers
June 25, 2007, 05:46:44 PM
Hi Guys. Anyone heard of these poppers? If so any stories to share??

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Parker Poppers
June 25, 2007, 10:19:20 PM
Sachin - for the price, stick to the Haymakers, Dumbbells, Bills Bugs etc.

I assume you are asking about their really big model which is made from wood? Their smaller models are moulded plastic and come with disgraceful terminals
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 26, 2007, 04:09:18 PM
Thanks Brandon. Yes, I was referring to the larger model which is made from wood. Incidentally the website states these poppers as having 6x strong VMC hooks. Wonder about the split rings though. Come to think of it I have never heard anything about 6x strong VMC hooks as I have been using large Mustad doubles of 5x strong Mustad trebles which do not seem to straighten.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 26, 2007, 08:34:48 PM
I'm not a big fan of VMC hooks, Sachin and there are only a very small number of split rings I would use for GTs. Terminals are a bad area to look for savings in when it comes to GTs.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 26, 2007, 08:49:35 PM
I'm not a big fan of VMC hooks, Sachin and there are only a very small number of split rings I would use for GTs. Terminals are a bad area to look for savings in when it comes to GTs.

Brandon is totally right Sachin.

I have just added an article about GT Hook Selection on the main website which you may also find useful.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 26, 2007, 10:21:56 PM
I think the area of terminals where I am most paranoid is with split rings. We all get heavily influenced by our own experiences and while I have never had a hook failure when I am specifically fishing for GTs with GT gear, I have had a split ring get crunched.

Split rings are a bit of a compromise though. The strongest ones I have used personally are the Varivas 400lb but they are a big, thick ring. The Owner 11H is a really nice ring but not in my view as srong as the Varivas. I know the Decoys are popular as well. To me, the Decoys look like they come out of the same factory as the Owners!