• Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stickbaits Stickbaits Stickbaits!
June 27, 2007, 05:47:42 PM
Stickbait: A GT's Delight

This has been posted on the main siteHow do I work a Stickbait?Lighter, floating stickbaits can be worked in two ways:

A range of quality stickbaits (top to bottom): Smith Runboh Junior, Orion BigFoot, Carpenter Livebait, Nomad Dogtooth
Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 05:50:19 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Wong Kai Zhee

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Stickbaits Stickbaits Stickbaits!
June 28, 2007, 01:05:51 AM
some "primitive" stikbaits.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 15, 2007, 10:40:17 PM
I just bought one of the shimano stickbaits, 60gm sinking. Looks good for medium sized GT's. Fitted it with some Owner ST-66TN trebles. First time using a stickbait and hopefully get a chance to use it over the next couple of weeks.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 16, 2007, 06:52:40 PM
Here is a picture of a new stickbait I picked up in Singapore from Anglers Outfitters called an Adhek Goby. The standard of the construction is exceptional and apparently, the wood is also very strong. I had a good look at one which had been used extensively and was amazed by how well it had taken the hits.

The other picture is of a new stickbait from Daiwa, an 85 gram Saltiga stickbait. It is almost a replica of a stickbait from another Japanese manufacturer which I can't remember the name of which I caught dozens of fish with until it was unfortunately broken by a huge fish at Shoalwater. A great lure for reef species but I don't think I will be targeting GTs with it specifically again!

If it swims; I want to catch it!

anthony rizzo

July 29, 2007, 06:01:20 PM
Went out today used this method, raised big gt's looked 30kg plus had three that hung around but couldn't get a hit, used the nomad 100 stickbait and nomad 80. The flash of these lures was fantastic.

Any ideas to help get hit using these? The water was crystal clear and the gt's turned up at the top of the tide.

Ant ideas or help would be great. Threw haymakers around didn't raise one!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 03, 2007, 09:44:32 PM
did the fish follow thr stickbaits or poppers at all? Unfortunately, sometimes they are simply not feeding and nothing short of a live bait will turn them on.

anthony rizzo

August 10, 2007, 08:33:08 AM
They were following the stickbait but not the poppers. Went back to same spot wednesday got two spainish on the stickbait had gt swimming all around it but to no avail. Will throw all and sundry again this weekend to see if I can get one,

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 10, 2007, 08:42:00 AM
well, two spaniards on a stickbait isn't bad at all!

With the GTs, it is a matter of persevering. You'll get them when they are feeding at some point. Were you using a loud chugging popper? I've found in the past that even if they are not really feeding, they will sometimes hit the chugger.

good luck this weekend

anthony rizzo

August 10, 2007, 05:36:08 PM
Thanks Brandon, have four new poppers to use. so will be throwing water all around the whitsundays! will post photos when I finally get one on a stickbait and one of these new poppers

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 12, 2007, 01:46:34 PM
Not to sure how to rig a stikbait.Had a go but one looks a little bulky and the other a little under done. HELP PLEASE
Have not yet crushed the barbs but i do intend on doing so.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 12, 2007, 06:51:05 PM
Cam - most people fish their stickbaits on the same rigs as what they use for poppers. I do have some friends who are more particular who actually run a single strand leader using a FG (or midknot etc) for stickbaits because they reckon they are far less visible that twisted leaders. I think they're right but I haven't found GTs to be that particular.

I don't know whether you actually attached a picture to your post but I have a bug in my profile which prevents me seeing some photos. If you did, send it to me on [email protected]

I have always crushed my barbs but at Bugatti, Malcolm Crane told me he uses a dremel to grind the barbs off. There is no doubt that this is better than just crushing them so I went shopping today and will be grinding all my barbs off as well in future.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 12, 2007, 07:06:44 PM
Cam, I tried a Runboh with the treble on the bottom and an assist on the back and it worked really well ;D, much better than with two trebles :), also ran one with an assist on the bottom and a spinner blade on the back, but while the blade gave action the lure ran straight :-\. The Baby Runbohs sink quite fast so I would go with two assists if you are casting from the shore, or wait [I know you can't] for the floating ones. ::) ;)
 Making some Baker rigs tonight like you did but I don;t think they use the swivels?
Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 07:09:47 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 12, 2007, 07:13:43 PM
Brandon i sent some pics through to you see what you recon.
Greg [Bun] do you think the assist are sweet ,if i put them straight onto the stickbait as i have done or should i run them of a split ring then a swivel.
No GTs over this way but hoping for some big KINGS so i don't want to be busted off ,story of my life.
Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 07:15:17 PM by Cam Foley
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 12, 2007, 07:31:00 PM
Found Brandons original posts and picks on the Baker rigs, as he was using Wahoo Stickbaits the swivels were already attacked, as you are using the Decoy Sergeants you can use one split ring straight to the lure. ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 12, 2007, 07:40:55 PM
Cheers Greg [Bun] i see i see looks good thanks for that.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER