Tan Wah Leng

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
YGK ULTRA CAST MAN X8 vs Varivas Avani GT
February 14, 2010, 04:13:25 PM
Hi,

I am looking at spooling my stella 8K with PE5, seems like YGK
has higher breaking strength at 78lb instead of 70lb (Varivas) and also at cheaper price too.

Any kind souls whom had used both can advise which line is a better choice?

Thanks.

Khaled Altaher

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: YGK ULTRA CAST MAN X8 vs Varivas Avani GT
February 14, 2010, 04:19:39 PM
I tried YGK ultra cast man PE5, very nice for casting, but seems to make lots of wind knots! I'm using Power Pro PE5 now, no wind knots. I tried Xzoga PE6 as well, its my favourite line so far.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 14, 2010, 04:24:56 PM
They are two of the finest lines you can buy. If you can get Castman at a better price, go for it. You won't go too far wrong with either
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
February 16, 2010, 07:45:53 PM
Tan, I run a stella 10000 with one spool of YGK PE5 and another with PE6, whilst the stated breaking strains are very similar 78 vs 86 lb, I find that there is a huge difference in knot strength when using the midknot and FG knot between the two.  I'm breaking off fish left right and centre on PE5 but holding happily on PE6.  I find there is very little difference between the two in casting distance and now opt for the PE6 first for lighter GT work.

If you are targeting only smaller fish (under 20kg), then by all means go the PE5, but if you want top be able to put some pressure on the odd larger fish in difficult terrain, do yourself a favour and pick up a spare 10000 spool (which will fit the SW8000) and load it with PE6. 

I get around 240 -250m of PE6 on a 10000 with a bit of taper and about 270m of PE5.  As a matter of interest, I think you would still get over 200m of PE6 on a 8000 spool - so, no reason why you couldn't use that spool. 

I don't know about you Brandon, but the only difference I can see between the jigman Ultra and the Castman Utra is the colour, is that right?

Joseph Ngan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 16, 2010, 08:36:04 PM
Yes, they are both YGK Ultra.

The difference is just colour. Great line if you can get it at a good price.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
February 16, 2010, 08:54:37 PM
Yes, they are both YGK Ultra.

The difference is just colour. Great line if you can get it at a good price.

Thanks Joseph, thaught that was the case!