Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Exmouth 07
June 30, 2007, 12:47:52 AM
Its about time I decided to take sometime to tell the story of my Exmouth trip, 3rd one so far. Spent 8 days there and everyday was blasting easterlies. No problemo, just fish the west side til the wind drop and hire the dinghies to get out. No can do, everyday was blowing til atleast 2pm. Last couple of days was completely blown out the whole day. Despite the wind we still managed our fair share of Charlie Courts (mini cods) and the odd little Golden Trevs and Queenies. Highlight was my brother Gordon's 6.5kg Golden on a pink Roosta 80. Fished the marina a fair bit as that seems to be the only place with baitfish, needless to say we got into a heap of queenies on light gear. One of the guys managed an undersize coral trout from the wharf. The late arvo was spent at Naval Pier chasing GTs and boy was it "expensive". 3 of us did the walk arvo and donated atleast 10 poppers and stickbaits to the fish gods. Apart from the jetty's pylons, there's 2 large bommies and 3 sunken barges, all within 100m of the beach. Following are some of the G's we manage to land, as well as a large cod which decided after snaring an occy, wanted the popper as well!!. Total score of G's landed were 11 and just as much were dropped or lost completely. There were quite a few Big Eye trevalies taking big poppers just as eagerly. One of the guys managed to land a large cod on popper. Bloody thing was greedy as it already has an occy in its gob. It crawled out after he landed the cod. FYI, stickbaits and Surface bull GTs worked the best for us.

Enjoy...

Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 12:51:46 AM by hon-su

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: Exmouth 07
June 30, 2007, 07:57:56 AM
Well done Hon-su!

I bloody love Exmouth - such an awesome fishery. You can't realy complain about that for an arvo session!

Hope to get back there soon myself :D

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 30, 2007, 08:02:25 AM
This is part of an area known as the Oyster rocks on the North-West Cape of Exmouth - a real GT alley.

Couple of pics of me following some baitfish around one of the barges.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 01, 2007, 12:24:29 AM
Well done Honsu, how heavy was the biggest? What gear were you fishing with?

Luke, can you post some more exmouth GT pics?

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 01, 2007, 07:55:24 PM
Yo Jay, you been caught any G's yet?? Time you give your 20k some real workout.

Biggest for me was probably around 10kg. Mate's old man landed one around 20kg and that was on the lightest gear. He was lucky that it was hooked 10m from shore. Pity I missed it for the camera.

I was using my Smith Kerama 73 and a borrowed Shimano Caranx Kaibutsu Longcast 82. I was using the Shimano most of the time as we needed casting distance this time but otherwise I would use the shorter rod. Next time I'll definately take more reels and spools as well as more "cheap" poppers. Last couple of arvos we switched to single trebles to the belly just to save on hardware lost and quicker release as hookup rates wasnt a concern. Oh do think size 9 Owner hyper wire split rings were enough.......NOT. Had one almost completely opened up...should have got a pic of it. 5/0 trebles are the minimum for the 120 to 150gm sticks and poppers. I'll probably get some bigger ones for the next trip.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 01, 2007, 08:28:11 PM
Hey Honsu, yeah been getting into a few, all in the sub 5kilo range though. I know theres big ones around the archipelago just gotta find a reliable spot to target them. The main problem is the guy I fish with isn't really into GT popping so until I get my own boat and have a bit more freedom I'm a bit stuck to landbased.

When are you planning on going to exmouth next? I'm heaps keen to get down there but I'm not real keen going on my own.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 01, 2007, 08:30:22 PM
Hon Su, was that one of the new shimano popper rods..how did it perform?

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 02, 2007, 12:50:21 AM
Landbase GT fishing is alot more fun. Its all you and the fish and not to mention alot safer, I would still wear a lifejacket just in case..... ;D

5kg G's still fun....just down size your gear. I had the 80lb gear as well as my 50lb jigstick with the stella 8k for fun. I even took my 6kg gear down one nite for the Big Eyes but they were gone then.

Im not sure when Im going again. I wish I can go again before the end of the yr but if you were to go, go around the new moon period as it was going off 2-3 days after new moon.

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 02, 2007, 12:53:01 AM

The new Shimano popping rod is pretty good, just a little too long in the butt.....about 2" too long for my liking but I got used to it after a while. Its definately easy to use, I can even work the slimmer Surface Bull and stickbaits quite comfortably with it. Im gonna get the longcast and the pencil instrument for my next trip.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 02, 2007, 06:05:35 PM
Where can you buy them from Honsu?

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 02, 2007, 06:44:28 PM

The new Shimano popping rod is pretty good, just a little too long in the butt.....about 2" too long for my liking but I got used to it after a while. Its definately easy to use, I can even work the slimmer Surface Bull and stickbaits quite comfortably with it. Im gonna get the longcast and the pencil instrument for my next trip.

Hi Honsu ,

What do you think about the diameter of the EVA grip , I imagine it may be OK for smaller anglers but may be too small for bigger anglers with big hands .

Overall these rods are an improvement over the previous model OCEA GT but still slow to medium taper , IMHO .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 02, 2007, 07:06:13 PM
The Longcast is a pretty good casting rod which is why its a slow tapered, medium action rod. Yeah the fore grip could be a little thicker but the top 4-5" is actually thicker then tapers down a bit. I like the reel seat setup with the ally tube and graphite hoods. If you need a faster action rod then you'll have to go to the Deep Monster.

I always thought the Ocea GT range is the top range and this Kaibutsu range is more the same level as the Jig Wrex range. But I could be mistaken...

Jay the rods are not available in Australia, mine is borrowed.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 02, 2007, 07:30:52 PM

I always thought the Ocea GT range is the top range and this Kaibutsu range is more the same level as the Jig Wrex range. But I could be mistaken...

Hi Honsu ,

These new rods don't have the fancy wrapping and as good componentries as Ocea GT , further more they are made in Batam near the Halco factory so the cost prices are cheaper . I think they are the expanded range of Shimano popping rods and the replacement of OCEA GT .

There are quite a few of them in every Shimano distributor around the major cities of Indonesia including Bali , cost around A$. 450.- .

I was told Deep Monster is the slow taper and Surface Monster is the fast taper versions , did not get into details as we were not buying anything but had my Stella 8000HG mounted on one and run the line thru the guides to see the deflection of the blank under load to simulate actual fishing conditions .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 04, 2007, 12:28:47 AM
Hmm.....should have asked if the Ocea GT is still in production......then I could get that and compare the 2

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 06, 2007, 08:25:08 PM
Hello Hon-Su,

How good is that, well done that does look like a top spot........

RESPECT

8)