Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shopping in Hong Kong
June 30, 2007, 10:22:55 AM
two words - don't bother!

If any of you were expecting that Hong Kong would have loads of popping and jigging gear at awesome prices, all I can say is don't kid yourself. I visited a couple of the more well known stores and really found very little of interest. One of the stores, Triton Tackle is suppsoed to be the biggest tackle store in SE Asia. That may well be the case but there sure isn't much there.

It is clear that popping isn't much of a sport here although, I have to acknowledge that one shop I went to had about a half dozen Fisherman Bigmouths. I wasn't looking for any but when I returned to buy a few other items, I was told that some Australian had bought all of them! Anyone here? if you did, get to ther gym big time before you use those all day - you'll need to!

The one thing I do have to say though is that one store I visited has Rapalas at a price which I still can't believe. I paid $16AUD for the X-Rap 30s. Why did I get these? Well, I want to cast for GTs with minnows!  ;D  Actually, I thought they might be useful on the rare times when I need a minnow for trolling like at Marion next year.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Shopping in Hong Kong
June 30, 2007, 10:45:04 AM
Good buy! a top lure but at $30 at local shops makes it costly on Mac's and wahoo.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

MK-Lee

July 01, 2007, 07:01:15 PM
Triton Tackle will not stock many tackle because the boss don't want to keep an item more than a month to sell.

Those Japanese tackle can be bought from Triton Tackle at quite low price as I got the VIP membership card. Some items can up to 30% off.

Those special jigging and popping tackle will appear limited time only, may be 2-3 days then sold out! That's why you couldn't see them.

For example, I bought a Saltiga GT at Triton Tackle around AU$650. Those Japanese tackle I can get it around 35%off of the official price.

There is an other small tackle shop in Hong Kong selling Jigging and Popping stuff. Sevenseas jig rod from au$300. Fisherman GT rod from au$480.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 02, 2007, 03:56:22 PM
There is an other small tackle shop in Hong Kong selling Jigging and Popping stuff. Sevenseas jig rod from au$300. Fisherman GT rod from au$480.

Thanks for sharing that information MK.

Surely these rods are second hand or fakes?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 02, 2007, 04:31:45 PM
if you can get genuine Sevenseas jig rods at $300, I'll be very pleased to purchase them!!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 02, 2007, 05:22:38 PM
if you can get genuine Sevenseas jig rods at $300, I'll be very pleased to purchase them!!

May be some of them fell out from a truck on the way to the shop . :o

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

MK-Lee

July 02, 2007, 08:31:07 PM
don't be so suprise. The shop owner is my friend. The reason why he can get the rod so cheap is direct import from JP. He has some connection with JP dealer and travel to JP several times a year. He go with empty hand and come back with many rods in several rod cases.

My another very good friend has connection with JP tackle factories (many brands).
I can buy lure from him in very low price.

For example, a Owner Tango Dancer (big pencil), I got it around AU$7. Some Smiths
saltwater minnow around au$6, .......................

just around 60% off in the Australia selling price.

100% not fake! It just too cheap for you aussie guys. I know it's unbelievable for Aussie.

And I'm shocked when I go to Aussie tackle shop, it's unreasonable expensive for me! And then I tell the price to my HK friends, they are unbelieve like you guys too!

The name 'shopping paradise' for Hong Kong is not fake.

He is going to expand his lure selling business, if you guys want to buy some JP lure in cheap price, PM me.
Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 09:05:47 PM by MK-Lee

MK-Lee

July 02, 2007, 08:46:36 PM
The JP tackle factories(not everyone) will have big Sale each year but not for retail. My friend will wait until the Big Sale then stock!

Reselling the tackle in low price or normal price, it's depends to the owner of the shop.

For example, I'm a VIP member of Triton tackle in Hong Kong, I can buy every thing in 15% off! And up to 35% off for special order.

The price is calculate like this:  10000yen = HK$650 = au$100  x discount = you pay~

Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 10:37:14 PM by MK-Lee

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 03, 2007, 07:50:08 AM
With the yen so low at the moment I think anyone would be better off to just cut to the source and go to Japan.  There's some incredible bargains there if you know where to look.  It's a nice place too

steve
Cairns Bommie Basher

MK-Lee

July 03, 2007, 08:37:19 PM

Thanks for sharing that information MK.

Surely these rods are second hand or fakes?

Luke's curious is right, you may say the super low price fisherman rod is 2nd hand! The super low price fisherman rod has been made by wrong order or return by customer with wrong name added or imperfect wrapping or mistake requirement.

Although I can buy custom build fisherman rod with 30% off, it is still to expensive for me.