Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
500lb FG knot
February 23, 2010, 05:52:23 PM
The weather has been bad up in CQ so I went crabbing instead.
Managed a very nice feed and was happy with myself winding the boat back on the trailer, when...BANG!!  I broke the winch cable on my extremely poorly maintained tinnie and trailer....hmmm. Now the cable is too short, If I tie a knot in the rusty cable it will either snap at the bend and definietly won't fit on the drum. Can't drive a 4.35m tinnie onto the trailer by myself in  30knots of breeze and a cross current.
Maybe I could use a crab pot rope somehow. Don't even think I could get the pile of rust that used to be a cable off the drum to wind on  some crab pot rope..hmmm  Think Graham!

How about a friction knot from a crab pot rope onto the wire cable?? Knot looked OK but I was standing well back as the full weight of boat came onto the trailer...success it wound on the drum as well!!. It worked so well I went crabbing again the next day....might not even bother getting a new cable.

OK OK its not pretty, none of my knots are!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: 500lb FG knot
February 23, 2010, 05:58:57 PM
Hmmm where'd you get the crabs...I mean, um, nice knot  ;D  We were going crabbing when we headed north Wednesday but the weatherman put the kybosh on that, I have a feeling we would have done ok too...

Nice work on the macgyvering, seems to have done the trick!

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 23, 2010, 06:07:22 PM
I can now see endless uses for friction knots, why I didn know this knot 30 years ago is a mystery.
Managed 7 good crabs over night sat night so left them in and picked em up late sunday for another 5.
Starvation Creek (Coorooman)
Better get back to GT's

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
February 24, 2010, 07:38:21 PM
Very interesting Graham - thanks for sharing.