Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rod lube
March 05, 2010, 03:30:17 PM
I know you can buy specific rod wax  but does it have any advantages over other lubes?  I've recently just been using a very light coat of what ever is handy (inox, drag grease) in the belief it's better than what I previously used ie nothing.  Just want to make sure that these aren't damaging the blank or if the wax is more inert etc.  Anyone know?

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Rod lube
March 07, 2010, 02:19:09 PM
I have been using the Smith wax.

Does a good job and wouldnt be anywhere near as messy as Grease.

Pete

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 07, 2010, 02:52:19 PM
Travis, I'd be concerned that the grease might actually make it easier for the joint to separate. If you can't find rod wax in your area, just find some soft candle wax - it does exactly the same thing.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
March 07, 2010, 05:29:11 PM
Guys I'd have to say that using grease or innox or whatever is not a good idea. Many times I have heard of people not being able to get fly rods apart. They tried wd40, innox etc and it makes it worse. I would suggest just using candle wax, I have been using the small candles that you get for burning incense for a long time with no ill effects or problems. Very cheap too. I use it on all my popping rods and fly rods, actually anything with a join ;)

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 09, 2010, 07:50:54 AM
Thanks fellas - will look around for some candles at home.  I don't use enough grease or inox to make a mess, I wipe it off pretty well to just leave that residue there - it has worked very well for me, no movement while fishing but I can pull the rod apart by myself after a trip.  My concern is more of the effect on the material with prolonged use, the more inert wax might be better in this regards. 

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 09, 2010, 08:07:40 AM
Travis, I don't think it could penetrate the resins in that way.
The problem with using oils/sprays etc arises when the rod is left joined for a period of time. The oils dissipate or dry up and actually become more like a bonding agent :o

AustralianAngling

March 09, 2010, 08:16:54 AM
Inox, WD40 the like should never be used on a rod it will penetarte the clear resin coat eventually you will end up with blisters under the resin on the rod the only thing to ever spray on a rod is MR SHEEN.
Use wax.

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 09, 2010, 08:46:35 AM
Thanks for that bit of info Steve, I was unaware it could penetrate the resins. I am now extra glad I have never used any of these things  ;D

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 09, 2010, 01:10:05 PM
Interesting to have that confirmed thanks Steve.  Wax it is. 

Chris Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 15, 2010, 02:38:16 AM
I don't know if this is useful, but for all joint rods i used, i rub the part going into the ferule on my nose or forehead before inserting. Natural oil i suppose. Haha. So far, nothing happen in terms of slip off or it popping out. Hope i did not just cursed myself.