Andrew Phillips

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Middle of Peak Hour
March 27, 2010, 09:23:45 PM
Went for my final offshore trip for at least a month (birth of child pending), so had to make it a good one.  Had a great trip out on Wednesday (Spanish Airforce post) so hopes where high.  Was at cleveland boat ramp by 5.15 and was already packed, with this being the first good weekend day in about two months.

Wanted to hit some shallow reefs early to get some popping in after the success of wednesday but knew our chances where below average with the amount of boats that would be out.  Had a couple of mates Lanks and Matty on board, and as expected our first spot had six boats trolling up and down.  Still thought give it a go, about third drift in saw something get nailed on the surface out of the corner of my eye and quickly chucked a cast in. 

One pop and I got smashed, he swam straight at me and then realised he was hooked, another nice surface display and then we went for the reef.  It was touch and go for a while with me nearly going over the side once even with the rail but up she pops a nice GT caught in amongst all of these other boats.  Scaled her in at 27kg, but the scales bottoms out at that so not sure of total weight, but she was thick across the shoulders.  Got a few photos and back in the water to fight another day.  Two trips with the new rod and two great fish.;D

Decided to go and have a look in some deeper water to get away from the traffic, found a potential pearly spot in 80 metres of water.  I have no idea on where to get pearlies, if any one would like to help me out would be muchly appreciated.  Then thought I would try and get Matty and Lanks onto some dolphin fish, so took them down to the wave rider bouy.  We were cleaning up until everyone else turned up and decided sitting right next to the bouy with their motor running is the best way of keeping the fish biting.>:(

Headed back two a few of the shallow reefs again Lanks got absolutely dusted up twice in two drifts by something very fast on the bottom and then it was pretty quiet so decided to call it a day.

Counting down the days to due date (next offshore trip;D ) already.
Andrew

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Middle of Peak Hour
March 27, 2010, 09:58:25 PM
Thats a nice fish Andrew - some cracking photo's too. Well done & best of luck for your pending arrival !!

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
March 29, 2010, 10:12:46 AM
Good fish mate we;ll done.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 29, 2010, 09:34:10 PM
That lure has served you well recently  :D  Nice fish, must be satisfying to be able to snag quality fish close the city.  Are Gee's becoming more common down that way or is it just more people chasing them?

Andrew Phillips

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 29, 2010, 11:02:45 PM
Travis,
I don't think they are becoming more common, maybe more people chasing them but one thing for sure, lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of casts :)

Andrew