Ivan Verhage

T-curve vs saltist
July 06, 2007, 01:13:49 PM
Hi Guys
I am interested in bying a new budget priced popper rod and there are two i have in mind, the shimano T-curve blue water spin 15-24 kg and the daiwa saltist
sa-b8040s  which is 8" and rated 30-60lb. Has any one tried these rods and which would be best suited to fishing 80lb braid and casting poppers up to 175g?

Thanks
Ivan Verhage

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: T-curve vs saltist
July 06, 2007, 01:43:01 PM
I dont know about the saltist rod, but the t curves arent going to handle 175 gram lures. Im pretty sure that they are rated to about 100 grams or so.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 06, 2007, 03:19:02 PM
Andrew is right - 175g is a bit too much to ask from a T-Curve
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Neil Griffiths

July 06, 2007, 03:35:19 PM
New T-Curve one piece popping rod on the way. Slower taper, stiffer tip, should be the best cheapest popping rod. Maybe available after August.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 06, 2007, 03:38:13 PM
Guys ,

Remember that after 2 pairs of heavy trebles + splitrings , the overall weight of the lures are going to be around 25~30 gr. heavier , on top of that the windage on the overall terminal tackles ( heavy mono leader + body of lure + armaments ) , I am more confortable casting around 75% max. of the stated " casting weight " .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Ivan Verhage

July 06, 2007, 06:34:05 PM
Neil could you give me more infomation about the new T-curve rods.  Are you going to get in the new Daiwa monster mesh jig and popper rods and if so how much would they cost?

Thanks
Ivan Verhage

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 06, 2007, 06:41:28 PM
Neil could you give me more infomation about the new T-curve rods.  Are you going to get in the new Daiwa monster mesh jig and popper rods and if so how much would they cost?

Thanks
Ivan Verhage

Ivan,

In my opinion, the T-Curve is the best popping rod in the 'cheap' popping rod market today. Simply put, The T-Curve and Saltist models you mention are not designed for 80lb. I would opt for the T-Curve if you had to make the choice but you would be pushing to handle weights greater than 125 grams. Running 50lb would be best.

Your best option would be to choose another rod or find out about these new rods that Neil mentions if you want to run 80lb.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 06, 2007, 07:04:32 PM
I heard a rumour about a new T-Curve Jig 500 rod :-\, another one thrown to you Neil ??? ;)
Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 07:38:09 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Neil Griffiths

July 09, 2007, 08:32:35 AM
This is c
I heard a rumour about a new T-Curve Jig 500 rod :-\, another one thrown to you Neil ??? ;)

This is coming soon. One piece and extra heavy.

Ivan Verhage

July 13, 2007, 06:09:03 PM
Hi guys

I have been looking at another popper rod called a Shino gtpop

This rod features the folowing:
Length 8'6"
PE 8
2piece Butt Joint
Fuji SIC
Fuji DPS-H reel seat
Aluminium Gimble
Do you think it is to long to be runing 80lb line on it?
Has anyone used this rod and how do you think it would compair to the T-curve?

Thanks
Ivan

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 13, 2007, 09:35:14 PM
Ivan ,

Shino does not have good reputations in S.E.Asia and a few have broken , if you are serious in GT popping , get a well established brand .

Jon . 
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Ivan Verhage

July 17, 2007, 04:53:23 PM
Neil are the shimano popper rods you are getting the Gt specal with these specs:GT Special
2.45m
2pc
Lure Wt. 100-250g
Line PE3-8
Max Drag 12kg

I got these specs from shimano.

Thanks
Ivan

Neil Griffiths

July 18, 2007, 08:54:13 AM
Neil are the shimano popper rods you are getting the Gt specal with these specs:GT Special
2.45m
2pc
Lure Wt. 100-250g
Line PE3-8
Max Drag 12kg

I got these specs from shimano.

Thanks
Ivan

The Shimano popping rod is from the T-Curve range and the one I saw had no specs like this on it at the time, it is basically a stiffer and slower version of the 15-24kg T-Curve spin rod. The rod would appear to be an Aussie developed rod seperate from Shimano Japan or Europe models.

Looks ok for the money though.

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 18, 2007, 10:50:36 PM
The daiwa saltist sa-b8040s is actually a much stiffer rod than the T-Curve 24kg rod. So stiff in fact that you could easily run PE8 on it and potential break your back using it. Good casting rod but ergonomics could be a whole lot better. Heat shrink grip tubes are not the "new trend" for rod building, it is crap to use and too hard. Guides could be better but the action of the rod is a back breaker for sure. 30-60lb is very very under-rated. This rod will easily cast 200gm....but I wouldnt buy one.