Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
FG knot to wire
April 18, 2010, 03:09:10 PM
I have trouble with toothy critters here all the time, mostly mackerel and stuff. My start out rig would be 70lb braid to 80 or 100lb Gallis leader to jig, followed by a few snip offs then I move to leader to swivel join to wire to jig. Thats then usually followed by snip offs at the swivel..... Cue me bashing my head on the side of the boat after loosing another hundred buks worth of lures >:(
It was suggested to me to tie straight to wire. So I have tried it and although I have not trialed it I have great confidence in it.
I tie my 70lb braid straight to 30cm of 90lb nylon coated wire with the FG knot. My only problem is how to finish the knot. Any suggestions? Normally with the FG knot to mono I would melt the end of the mono to ensure no slippage, I cant exactly do that with wire. Do I just cut the wire and just leave a short tag? And could that then wear away at the braid?
Hopefully I'll be getting out in the next couple of weeks to test it out.

A pic of my knot,

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: FG knot to wire
April 18, 2010, 04:26:50 PM
Trim and dip in superglue or contact cement to get that same rounded smooth finish as when heating mono.

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 18, 2010, 05:03:15 PM
Hi Warwick ..

Nice try ...
Maybe try this ???

At the front of the popper or stickbait. i use single strand wire (60mm long) which it hand out of the guide,s ...120-150...cheap,
 easy to use and just flosses their gums
Also it's much finer in diameter than most heavy mono bite leaders..

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 18, 2010, 05:10:45 PM
Hi mick,

I only use this set up for jigging and my aim was to avoid using a swivel or solid ring in any join because they create a bubble trail and thats what they are biting >:( I had one experience where I hooked up nice and the fish went on a blinding run  ;D then another fish bit me off at the swivel which would have had a serious bubble trail at the time.

Cheers