Ian Ramsey

Dogtooth
May 06, 2010, 04:40:14 AM
Hi All  , I need your help , I am new to jigging , and I am off to Osprey reef for 5 days in November, and I want to jig for Dogtooth Tuna , I am going to build a  Synit  vemon 450 tt  it has a max drag rateing of 43 kg ,  best jig 200--500gr,  rod  length 5'2", Max PE rateing PE 8 ,  What I would like to know is what style of reel is best , PE line weight , and jigs to use  , Thank you for any advice given

Ian

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Dogtooth
May 06, 2010, 05:15:08 AM
hooker and andermans are a good bet . hooker1 and speed hooker 220g range , black . pink/siver,gunmetal , white .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 06, 2010, 08:35:28 AM
Ian, did you say a maximum drag rating of 43kgs?!  :o
If that is the case, the rod wouldn't be PE8, it'd be about PE30 and you would need to be a bull elephant to hold on to it!!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Bwanna Surya

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 06, 2010, 01:49:36 PM
Ian, did you say a maximum drag rating of 43kgs?!  :o
If that is the case, the rod wouldn't be PE8, it'd be about PE30 and you would need to be a bull elephant to hold on to it!!

;D..funny how this new rod manufacturer stated their rod spec.....

Ian Ramsey

May 06, 2010, 02:49:12 PM
Brandon, thank you for pointing that out should have been Max drag 18 kg best 9-14 kg , and please lets not start on the make of the blank , it is just one I am going to build on , That is all , not if it is better than others .I am more intrested in catching a fish ,  Thanks  Ian

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 06, 2010, 02:55:03 PM
sorry Ian - not quite with you - what are you saying?

Brandon, thank you for pointing that out should have been Max drag 18 kg best 9-14 kg , and please lets not start on the make of the blank , it is just one I am going to build on , That is all , not if it is better than others .I am more intrested in catching a fish ,  Thanks  Ian
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Ian Ramsey

May 06, 2010, 05:24:27 PM
Brandon , would a rod with those specs do the job to catch a large Dogtooth , or is it to heavy or to light ? ,  then what type of reel would be best , and what is the best style of jig to use ,  I have been told by some people that have fished Osprey that there are very large fish out there , So what  I want to do is have the best set up I can , To target the Dogtooth ,

Ian

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 06, 2010, 06:43:25 PM
nothing wrong with the synit blank . got the VENOM 350g, 550g getting the brand new 450TT model . 350 and 550g are spin versiona new one will be overhead . catching big yellowfin tuna on the 350g with a stella 20000 . with both the 350 and 550g can work a 200g jig perfectly . 

Ian Ramsey

May 06, 2010, 07:20:09 PM
Thank you Mark , So I will be happy with the Venom 450 tt , now I was thinking of a JM PE 8 reel  ? Lures  Hooker 1 220 gr ,Now what type of area of the reef do they prefer , and does time of day matter
                  Thanks  Ian

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 10, 2010, 04:00:48 PM
Hi Ian.
Is there nothing off the shelf that could fit the bill?
I am just wondering with Osprey being remote and probably an aspirational destination for most would you better off with something proven out there such as any of the offerings from Fisherman, Blue Rose, Valley Hill etc.
Just a thought.
Have a great trip and hope you nail a monster doggie!!