Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bugatti Reef Guides Report 30 April 2010
May 03, 2010, 12:22:49 PM
Damon:- A beautiful day on the water. The wind was moderate, with patches of sunshine, and we had a very enjoyable day fishing with David Hovenden, Ito and Break. The 2 japanese guys were part of Mogi's group fishing this week, and the day was off to a great start at the first spot with multiple packs of GTs coming up and eating poppers, none landed however. We had a massive GT eat a big carpenter stickbait in a blue hole, but the treble hook pulled out. Break had a 25kg Spaniard eat his stickbait at the side of the boat and get airborne in spectacular fashion. The fish charged under the boat, and he did very well to stay in the boat and not to break his rod. I counted the number of strikes we had from GTs today. 28 strikes for 16 solid hook-ups for more than 20 seconds, and we landed 7 GTs. Everyone knows my opinion on treble hooks, and the Japanese guys fishing with Trebles again proved that they are simply not an effective way to land fish. Sure, you might hook a few more on trebles, but you get less to the boat. Anyway, aside from the treble scenario, we had a great day, with plenty of fish to keep us entertained, and pleasant weather.

Glanville:- We started off great and saw a Gt come charging out at a lure and get half its body out in an aggressive attempt to kill the lure but as the line tightened up the hooks pulled out, not a bad way to start off for a first cast. With the blood pumping and the adrenaline running we continued our venture, we fished the last bit of the run in tide and we were seeing Gts but they seemed to be coming up to the lures very timid, as the tide turned we started to see a little more action and we had a monster fish come and smash a stick bait but the same scenario tight and the hooks pulled. It was about 12 when our luck turned and we finally got a fish to the boat after 8 solid strikes, we celebrated this with a lunch break and wow the game was on after that, we went through a period and within an hour managed to boat 8 Gts, the fish were going absolutely crazy and pack after pack of gts were coming up and the excitement was on! I don't think we went through a period where the guys had more than 5 casts for a fish in the carnage we had some amazing takes with Gts fully airbourne out the water in an effort to get to the lure before his mates. The spot seemed to slow down a little and we moved along the reef the next spot seemed to be the bus stop and we had 5 fish over 30kg and up to about 40kg smashing the lures and every fish the hooks pulled out, the guys were using GT recorder trebles and I don't think even velcro would stick to those things, they are horrible, it got a little frustrating watching big Gts come and absolutely smashing the lures so aggressively and not staying stuck. 

Chris report. Well today was an absolute ball with not only me but with the boys as well. First stop I rocked up to, pack attack managing to pull a nice 15kg GT out. We saw in the amount of 20 to 30 fish today it was incredible. It was like someone turned the switch on. I worked along the edges and a few blue holes seeing fish at every single point. We saw a couple of absolute monster fish today around the 40kg mark. One of the blokes hooked one up with the twisted leader still in the runners but unfortunately busting that one off to. Today we just couldn't stick the hooks in them it becomes a little frustrating. We busted 6 solid GTs off today. As the change of tide was near so was a change in spots I moved to another reef and decided to try my luck in a couple of other blue holes. First blue hole and first cast a nice 35kg plus GT engulfed this 90 gram skipjack and it was ours for the taking it was a solid fish. A couple of other casts in the blue hole and more bust offs. Today even if we did lose a fair few was a good day. The GTs were in numbers which is a good thing to see. Hopefully more excitement tomorrow.