Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bugatti Reef Gudies report 2 May 2010
May 03, 2010, 12:32:56 PM
Damon:- Had a great day today. The tides were very small and the wind was blowing 25kn, but the sun was shining, and we had 3 very excited Japanese anglers. I had Break Kawasumi onboard today, he's the guy in the famous picture at Kenn reef holding a 25kg GT that he landed off the reef edge fishing a blue hole at Kenn Reef in 2005. This was his first return visit since then. We also had Mr Mogi and Mr Suzuki onboard today. Mogi sight cast to a 30kg GT in a blue hole and had the fish eat the lure boatside in one of probably the top 3 GT strikes I have ever seen in 3m of water, and only 10m from the side of the boat. The fish busted him off in the reef, but an absolutely amazing sight. The afternoon was simply spectacular, we caught 10 GTs from a heap of strikes and several pulled hooks, 7 of the Gts were over 30kgs, and Mogi got one near 40kg on his lighter 65lb braid and a sinking carpenter stickbait. We had chinaman fish and Gts swimming under the boat at times, packs of big fish coming up, and some simply amazing takes. I could carry on about all the amazing things we saw, but to be fishing in calm water with the sun shining in 25kn of wind, and catching PLENTY of fish, was a very special thing. Mr Mogi had a great day, as did Break and Mr Suzuki, one of the best days we've had in the past few weeks, and considering the wind was blowing and the tides were not ideal it was very special.

Glanville Report:- we started off this morning fishing in some ridiculously rough water in hope that there was enough run in tide running over some shoals that I am familiar with. I quickly ran away from there with my tail between my legs and a drastically changed plan, straight into the blue holes, it started of fairly well and saw a good pack of fish come up 1 got bust off in the reef and after a mad run around chasing a Gt around bommies we managed to extract a 30kg specimen which was to Bruce's delight as he had been having some terrible luck in the previous days. We looked around and managed to find another 2 fish before I moved along the reef to a very big surprise, I found a ledge that was 1.8 miles long with terrified fusiliers wall to wall the most shoals of bait I have ever seen along this particular ledge...the game was on but I don't think I have ever seen 3 anglers with such bad luck, to start off with we had a 7/0 shout kudaku straightened like a spear if that's not enough the very next cast straightened up a 9/0 jobu which let me tell you doesn't happen often, that was then followed up by 2 fish being bust off in the reef one after the next and it doesn't stop there, we then had a 2/0 power swivel snap out of the belly on one of the lures by this stage I was searching for a knife to slit my wrists to rid me from the frustration,  that was then followed up by 2 fish being lost due to the line just breaking in the middle which left me very disappointed, the gts were in plague proportions and packs of fish were coming up on every shoal of fusies like clock work, this little session lasted about an hour and this included the non stop rigging that was taking place, never the less we did manage to boat 5 Gts for the day and a tractor size gold spot trevally, the day was ended off in great fashion we arrived back at the anchorage and just a random cast at the back of the boat resulted in a mad pack of gts barging each other out of the way for the lure, this seen in the reflected light of an awesome sunset is something to be admired but guess what the gt gods were still against us as the hooks pulled out of this specimen just under the boat....Beer time was the call after that.

Alex report- Today started off great hooked up on the 2nd cast of the day but a tiny bit of slack line and the hooks came out, the action came thick and fast with the fish actually eating properly and we hooked 7 good fish including a couple of monsters but most were hooked on trebles and the hooks just pulled which was very frustrating. When the hooks finally stuck we got busted off by a nice fish of about 35kgs our luck was just getting worse. We had a flurry of better action and converted 3 fish to about 32kg including one amazing take where the gt was completely airborne missed the lure cartwheeling back into the water only to turn and crash tackle the lure. In the afternoon with some fairly average weather and some huge pressure waves the action slowed a bit. On the way back to the anchorage I saw a nice little patch of bait showering and getting very nervous and more bad luck we missed another 5 good fish with another hook up and hooks pulled, a fairly frustrating day with too many missed fish and ugly weather.

Chris report. Well waking up this morning looking out the window to find windy weather isn't always a good thing. Today we got fairly beaten around by the weather. I worked a long ledge of the reef this morning picking one or two GTs from a pack of 4 to 5. Saw plenty of GTs today. Hooked and boated a few GTs around the 30 kg mark and I think a couple may have been bigger. Worked blue holes and mainly ledges of the reef doing pretty well. We hooked at least 6 good fish today but unfortunately just not sticking the hooks. In the afternoon we headed to another reef closer to the anchorage to give us a good run home and saw plenty of fusiliers and plenty of GTs on them at one stage we were double hooked up but pulled the hooks on both. Saw a couple of beauty takes of the lure. Today they were hungry and you know when they really want that popper or stickbait because they don't play. We managed to boat 5 GTs two of which were around the 30kg mark. We also had a blast on the light stuff playing in the shallows with some big goldspot and bludger travalley. Played around with some Spanish mackerel, shark mackerel and some coral trout. Hopefully tomorrow brings more...