Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Medium GT rod recommendations, please
July 19, 2007, 07:00:43 PM
Looking for a PE5 GT rod for my Stella 8000. At this stage I'll probably go with a Pencil Instrument, unless someone can recommend something better in the same price range.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Medium GT rod recommendations, please
July 19, 2007, 08:00:55 PM
Jay - what is a pencil instrument?! Give us a price range to work with.

Looking for a PE5 GT rod for my Stella 8000. At this stage I'll probably go with a Pencil Instrument, unless someone can recommend something better in the same price range.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 19, 2007, 08:07:06 PM
Jay - what is a pencil instrument?! Give us a price range to work with.

Caranx Kaibutsu, Pencil Instrument.

Price range $400-500 AUD.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 19, 2007, 08:13:50 PM
uh duh....... didn't click. A bit slow today.....   ;D

pretty tough to beat at that price range, Jay. For that weight class, a Saltiga like an 80TN would be suitable as well but a little more pricey. Do you even want to get into the rods that are upwards of a grand?

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 19, 2007, 08:25:38 PM
uh duh....... didn't click. A bit slow today.....   ;D

pretty tough to beat at that price range, Jay. For that weight class, a Saltiga like an 80TN would be suitable as well but a little more pricey. Do you even want to get into the rods that are upwards of a grand?

Perhaps, when I'm on a bit better wages as I'm only a first year apprentice hehe :)

I've got a GT86, I dont mind the saltigas but I want to expand... try other rods.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 19, 2007, 09:00:10 PM
Jay, to be honest, the GT86 can be used to fish PE5. Sure, it is probably just a touch heavy to be considered ideal to be fishing PE5 but it is fine for that purpose. Notwithstanding the Daiwa rating, I think PE8 is really testing the upper limits of the GT86. I have at times fished PE5 off my Komodo Dragon in the past. It's ok and that rod is rated up to PE12.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 19, 2007, 11:11:35 PM
I can fish PE5 on the GT86 but it isn't so good casting the lighter lures and not so fun on the smaller fish.

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 20, 2007, 01:09:13 AM
 ;D ;D

just get an Ugly Stik Jay  ;D

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 20, 2007, 08:35:19 AM
;D ;D

hehe I'm not that cheap. Will be difficult to get a Kaibutsu sent from over seas without paying an arm and a leg, anyone know when they might be available in Australia?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 20, 2007, 09:27:50 AM

hehe I'm not that cheap. Will be difficult to get a Kaibutsu sent from over seas without paying an arm and a leg, anyone know when they might be available in Australia?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 20, 2007, 10:00:15 AM
actually Jay, there is a nice Ugly Stick for around PE5. It's got SiC guides and the works. Looks like a tough stick that will handle a bit of abuse.

;D ;D

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 20, 2007, 05:44:25 PM

Not when you add freight costs. Fishing Buddy quoted $250-350 SGD because it would need to come via TNT or similar.

Thanks Brandon, I'll look into it... I replied in your other thread regarding Kaibutsu.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 20, 2007, 06:12:06 PM
That's absolutely ridiculous.

I have had rods sent from Japan in the past for less than $100.00 AUD (normally around $60.00) - which is quite fair given their size.

You try to see if there are other retailers that can get you this rod, i don't know much about this tackle shop or shipping for that matter but it could be possible that they are also making money from the shipping they are charging you.

What a bummer.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 20, 2007, 06:29:37 PM
okay - i can sum this one up. if a rod can be posted by EMS, it costs bugger all. From Japan, this works out to something like $30. On the other hand, if the rod cannot be posted by EMS, it then has to be sent by Fedex, DHL etc. the freight companies charge an absolute arm and a leg. The cost from Japan for this is something like $100.

I can't remember the length exactly but it is either 1.2 or 1.5m. What this basically means is that a jigging rod that has a detatchable butt will be able to be sent by EMS whereas a popping rod cannot.

This isn't where the story ends - unfortunately - and it gets worse. If a parcel is under $1,000 AUD in value and it comes in through the mail system, you pay no tax or duty. On the other hand, if it comes in by courier (Fedex and co), they will hit you for customs registration, customs duty, GST etc for anything that is more than $250 and believe it ot not, they include the value of the freight.

That is why I am saying that I am willing to organise the purchase of a number of the Caranx but I need enough numbers to make it worthwhile so we can spread the cost of the freight and duty among a few. Btw - I don't intend to make a red cent out of this nor am I getting one of these rods myself. I don;t need it!

Jay, I don't know whether you meant the rod would cost $250 to $350 SGD or the freight would. Neither seems correct to me. If you can get the rod for $250SGD, Simon must have robbed someone for the rod but if the frieght costs that much, he is robbing you!! Btw - he is a member here!!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 20, 2007, 06:58:50 PM
Interesting...

It's bummer customs charge you for anything over $250 when using a courier. It should be the same as EMS  >:(

umm... quote from my email.

Due to the length of rod, we may not be able to send them by normal
parcel, EMS only allow up to 1.05m for Australia. If you require any
rods from us more than 1.05m, we will need to send you by other courier
service like TNT, DHL etc. and normally they will cost from SG$250 ~
SG$350 per consignment.