Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bugatti Reef trip report 25 May 2010
May 26, 2010, 10:18:49 AM
Damon:- Perfect weather just made the day more enjoyable. The guys are getting pretty tired now, and the GT fishing is taking a back seat to relaxing and doing a bit of light tackle fishing and trolling. We caught some nice goldspot trevally, Spanish mackerel, shark mackerel and bludgers this morning, as well as 1 nice 25kg GT while casting poppers. We went back to Odyssey for lunch, and enjoyed a spectacular low tide anchorage while eating one of Brett's great lunches on the top deck. Went out for a few hours after lunch and landed 2 nice GTs of around 24kg on poppers, as well as a heap of shark mackerel. All up, it was a great day with perfect weather and a great group of guys, looking forward to some more great weather tomorrow, and to moving down to a new area we have not fished before - my only concern is that these guys are too broken to be able to fish much and any more fish might really hurt a few of them... should be fun!!

Chris:- the days just keep getting better and better, not just weather wise but fishing as well. Today was glass out with just that little bit of breeze to take away that heat. We started off quite well after seeing a GT on the first cast but unfortunately not being able to hook it. There were massive amounts of bait, bait I hadn't seen like this in quite a while and something underneath them making them nervous. I knew that they were there it was just the cast of finding one that wanted to eat a lure. As I worked my way through the bait along the ledge we picked up one every now and then but these fish just weren't fired up as normal I don't know whether it's the fact that there is lots of bait or just the conditions. We saw 8 GTs for the day and landed an absolute bus being at least 40kg which was a tremendous effort by Doug who landed his first GT and it being 40kg made the moment even more special. In between these GTs we landed plenty of shark mackerel, mac tuna, red throat emperor, bludger and goldspot travalley which filled in the gaps and made the day pretty action packed. We came back for lunch and the boys decided that a good snorkel was in order. I hope the weather holds up because it just makes the day even BETTER.

Glanville:- Our day started off with a bang today I had couple of guys who were mad keen anglers and are now well and truly addicted/converted to GT fishing, they even got me out of bed early to see if we can get an extra hour in as the tide turned, the tide was about to start running out and with the big tide we have at the moment it's blue holes all the way...first blue hole we stopped in and we had our first fish hooked up but unluckily the hooks pulled half way through the fight, by 8.30am we had boated our first Gt and lost 6 others to bad luck and slack line. The day continued pretty well and we were continuously seeing fish, by 11 30 we had 4 to the boat amongst a bunch of other species that we caught in between. I don't know what you guys were doing at 12:00 today but let me tell you something, I was losing my mind, we had one of the craziest fishing sessions ever, it was all happening Gts, big mackerel sky rocketing out the water after lures, then it happened...... we hooked a Spano on one of the lighter rods and it was getting air bourne in its attempt to get away from the sharks which were soon accompanied by a massive pack of big Gts this now left the poor 15kg mackerel helpless in its attempts to free itself and it came falling out the sky straight into the jaws of a ravaging shark, there was white water every where, tail, fins, teeth, more tails, the white water then turned red with blood and one of the guys managed to position his popper between the frothing mess and bang a Gt of about 30kg was all over it, whilst tussling the Gt the amount of sharks, mackerel and other Gts that were attracted by the feeding frenzy was unbelievable. We went straight back to the spot and 3 casts later David's popper was crashed by a mammoth of a creature which was nothing short of enormous, it charged out of the water to get his lure and the whole back of the fish could be seen, the sight I have got in my head is something that can be described as scary and I'm probably not going to get any sleep tonight but it was all worth it, the fish could only have been a Spanish mackerel of 45kg or it could have been a Dogtooth Tuna of about 70-80kg judging by the length and girth of the body, I was a little frustrated that I never got a look at its head as my eyes were fixated on the other popper to my right that was getting demolished by a Gt at the same time... the more I think of it though the more I think that it was a Dogtooth Tuna, just the way it crashed the lure had Dogtooth written all over it, I tried to have a look at the brutally damaged lure to see if I could find some proper teeth marks and there was a pair there that would have matched up to a giant Doggie oh well next time he's mine...a day like this on a glassy calm ocean is what you come out fishing for!!!!!! I even had a chance to get in the mix of things today myself and caught a GT on fly of 35kg off back of the mothership which was pretty awesome.

Nick :- Working the blue holes today seemed to be the thing today for us with very pleasant conditions on the shallows and things happening everywhere. With the first couple of casts yielding a nice GT of around 25 kilos this was a great start to stretch out the weary muscles from yesterday. We carried on jumping the blue holes and managed to boat another nice GT around the same weight division as the first - nice fish. Out the corner of my eye I saw birds going absoloutly beserk on the flats so we rushed over and got stuck into some serious bludger and gold spot mania which continued for some time. We had to keep moving as the mothership was moving anchorages so we picked up lines and head of to some new grounds, on arrival this looked like we should call for backup with fusies dying all over the show, we managed to hook another two GTs but pulled the hooks on both of them and saw many more but just not commited enough. Again we saw things weren't going to go off the hook here so we decided to keep moving as we were having lunch on the mothership some distance away. We managed to stop at a secret spot where again bait was dying everywhere and raised more uncommitted fish but this definitely got the blood pumping. After lunch I thought I would take a different approach and go under water instead of being on top, we took a few of the guys for a dive and this was awesome to see things from another perspective at one point during the dive myself and Dom deflated all our air out of our bc's and sat on the sand with a whole school of Mackeral and Bludger Travelly circling us. The longer we sat there the more fish came to investigate the alienated bubbles. With turtles, job fish, trout, emperor and a few white tip reef sharks made for and awesome end to the day....hope there are more days like this in store.