guy elson

Hi I am new to this forum and i have a question about my Cape Fear Bluewater spin rods (7'7" rated 20-30lb). I own two but have hardly ever used these rods, however it looks like i might be going to Northern Queensland next year to Jewel reef (with Nomad) and so I thought this might be a good opportunity to use them.

I want to use them to target big GT's with large poppers/stick baits (probably upto 170g) but i have no idea if this is too much for these rods. I was thinking of teaming them up with my stella 20000 and running 100lb braid, i am aware that you need some stopping power to keep them away from the reef but I was hoping someone might have had some experience with these rods. I was also considering rigging the second one as a jigging rod for dogtooth tuna?

We are going to be filming for a new tv series so i can't afford to be dropping big fish, in many ways I would prefer to be overgunned incase i hit into something big so any suggestions of alternative setups or reassurance about the ability of these rods would be much appreciated.
All the best
Guy

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Guy, a 20-30lb rated would stand no chance against big GTs. I wouldn't be running 100lb over the rod as I'm absolutely positive it'll end in tears. At 7'7" it's a bit too long for serious jigging. I have not handled the rods, but from your description, I wouldn't use it for the purpose u intend to use it for!
AKA: Sunny

guy elson

Hi Chuen, thanks for your reply, i agree that a standard 20-30lb rated rod would suffer but these rods are quite unique, they are hexagonal blanks with a fibreglass spine inside the blank, they are reported to punch above their rating of 20-30lb, however i would like some real world experience if anyone has used them.

I have little experience with popping for GT's so any advice on bombproof rods reel combo that don't weigh too much for fishing all day would be really appreciated (ideal for Jewel reef,OZ), I have read good things about ripplefisher,carpenter and smith rods
Thanks g

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Hi Chuen, thanks for your reply, i agree that a standard 20-30lb rated rod would suffer but these rods are quite unique, they are hexagonal blanks with a fibreglass spine inside the blank, they are reported to punch above their rating of 20-30lb, however i would like some real world experience if anyone has used them.

I have little experience with popping for GT's so any advice on bombproof rods reel combo that don't weigh too much for fishing all day would be really appreciated (ideal for Jewel reef,OZ), I have read good things about ripplefisher,carpenter and smith rods
Thanks g

Hi Guy,

Where in the states are you located?

If you can deadlift 12-15kg with this rod and it doesn't bend past the midsection (progressive type action) - then perhaps it may be OK for GT fishing - although obviously not ideal. I would liken GT fishing to as much an art as fly fishing in it's own special ways - retrofitting mainstream/conventional gear simply won't cut it.

You should note that Nomad carries all gear capable of subduing big GT and Dogtooth. All the gear is top quality.

guy elson

Hi Luke,
Thanks for your reply, I'm based over in the UK, I will try a deadlift as you suggested and see how they fare. If you where to buy a popping outfit suitable for this location (Coral Sea) and its inhabitants what would you go for?
Thanks guy

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May I suggest you have a look at the information booklet which Nomad supply for all their destinations. You will have a better idea on what kind of outfits the location requires. Also have a read of Brandon Khoo's write up on buying/choosing popping rods (it contains sh!tloads of very useful information). What any one persons recommendation may not be suitable for you, and when you're paying top dollar for a specialized piece of equipment, you want to know that it suits you and that youre able to hang onto it after 10 mins on an angry fish without breaking yourself!

guy elson

Hi Chuen, Thanks for that pointer to Brandon Khoo's write up I will check it out, is it on gtpopping.com? I know what you mean about breaking yourself, we made a film over in Costa Rica last year fishing the Barra for Big Tarpon, I was using 30lb gear and was just about coping with T's upto 130 lbs but took a good two and half hour beating from a 200lb'er, suffice to say after being towed around for miles i had to give up as it was likely to kill the fish from exhaustion (or more like me!)

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Check under GT Popping tackle & techniques thread on this forum, it should be stickied up the top of the first page.

What program are you filming for if I may ask??

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
If the Cape Fear is the old style Hex shape blanks then they were always underrated in line class, they were around in Aus under the 'McGinn' banner in the 90's for game fishing using Scottish Hexagon fly rod techniques, before coming out in the US as Cape Fear. The blanks where strong with a fast recoil.
Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 10:05:20 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

guy elson

Hi Chuen, I was making a Film called Rod and a Rucksack, it was actually on WFN (world fishing network) the sunday before last and we are now in production for the series to be filmed next year. Popping for Gt's /Wahoo and jigging for Dogtooth Tuna in the Coral Sea (jewel Reef) is one of the locations so i have to get myself familiar with this Gt popping game.

Greg, yep it is a hexagonal blank, i don't suppose you know of anyone who has used these rods for popping?
Thanks

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Hi Chuen, I was making a Film called Rod and a Rucksack, it was actually on WFN (world fishing network) the sunday before last and we are now in production for the series to be filmed next year. Popping for Gt's /Wahoo and jigging for Dogtooth Tuna in the Coral Sea (jewel Reef) is one of the locations so i have to get myself familiar with this Gt popping game.

Greg, yep it is a hexagonal blank, i don't suppose you know of anyone who has used these rods for popping?
Thanks

Guy,

There are several GT nuts in the UK (probably more, but these are the most active on this site).... David Foyle, Alex Jordan, Colin Pacitti & David Sharples. If you send them a PM, they may be able to show you in person some GT capable gear.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
No luck Guy, the ones I saw were 6'-6'6" overheads.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

guy elson

Hi Luke, thanks for the info I will get intouch with these guys.
Thanks g