Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Nick: Woke up today with another great day ahead of us, the weather has really been good to us over the last couple of days along with some of the most amazing fishing ever. Our first reef we stopped at was a gift for sure with fusies everywhere and really angry GTs. With absoloute mahem happening the whole morning we managed to land 10 fish by 11:30 and we still had plenty more to come. We decided to move spots which paid off pretty well with the next spot proving to be even better if that is even possible, with a drift of about 2 miles with bait all along the edge getting hammered. We managed to get 12 GTs out of this drift and also hooking into a huge 200kg Manta Ray on a soft plastic as he got pricked he jumped and did a back flip right next to the boat which is something you don't see everyday - so much life around. Next spot was a small reef which we managed to pull another four GTs off which brought us to 26 GTs, as well as some nice Gold Spots and Spannish Mackeral. Awesome day.

Damon:- Another tough trip report to write, because it is very hard to adequately describe just how crazy the fishing has been. We set a new Nomad Boat record with 34 GTs released for the day, with 10 of these over 30kg. Tim Angus set a new record for an individual angler with 20 GTs released for the day on his own - an amazing effort and very deserving. We had 63 GTs solidly hooked up and fighting today, and the guys lost a lot of fish - really it is difficult to comprehend how many fish are actually on these reefs. We caught huge goldspot trevally to 10kg, Spanish mackerel, long toms rainbow runners and a bludger trevally. The GT fishing has been so good it has been hard to target anything else. Also of special note was the fact that of the 34 GTs landed today, 31 of them were caught on a blue/green coloured Adhek Long goby lure. All 3 anglers pretty much refused to use anything else and these lures worked amazingly well.
The weather was phenomenal again today, with 5-8kn of breeze and slight seas. Richard Foong went out with Brett (our chef) to do some light tackle testing and caught a huge variety of reef fish, trevally and mackerel while testing the new range of light Yamaga rods, and smaller Sebile lures. So many stories to tell and so little time. It should also be noted here that this fishing is truly off the scale and please don't anyone ever come out here expecting this type of action regularly- this is the type of fishing that happens occasionally, and this is what makes you keep fishing through the tough days because you know that days like today and yesterday will happen. Catching 10 GTs in a day is a good day, catching 34 is just getting a little ridiculous. It is very satisfying for us to be able to share this fishing with a very large proportion of repeat guests, and it makes them really appreciate what they are experiencing.

Glanville:- Yet another phenomenal day of fishing, over 200 Gts in just 2 days of fishing.... those are about the only descriptive words to find oh and did I add not a breath of wind, it felt like at some stages that we were fishing in a dam for Bass but the eruptions as angry packs of GTs attacked the lures numerous times assured us that this is actually the ocean, we were lucky enough to boat a triple hook up of 28, 32 and 35kg fish not a bad effort...well I'm going to keep it short and sweet, the GTs out here at the moment are like SAND, with the forecast looking good for the next couple of days I actually feel a little sorry for the guests cause tomorrow they going to go through the same torture as today...non stop bending.

Chris:- I woke up this morning and for some reason thought that today was going to be an incredible day. And let me tell you it was the most mind blowing fishing I have ever witnessed in my life. I kid you not. The morning started off a little slow for the first 5 minutes. But we pulled in a nice 25kg GT to get us started. Well the ball just kept rolling. It was GT after GT. Every bait school to every cast you could guarantee that there was a pack ready to pounce on the nearest splashing lure. We had the most ridiculous action ever. And let me remind you that we were filming and having small breaks in between this madness that was going on around us. We boated 23 GTs and lost... I can't even remember how many and a few to at least 40 to 45kg. At one stage we had a 25kg GT hooked up and almost to the boat before a 300 to 400lbs Queensland Grouper absolutely engulfed this GT, we had this ridiculous sized Grouper on for probably 10 minutes before it spat the GT back out. I have never in my life witnessed anything to that extent to have what I thought was one of the toughest most fearsome fish in the sea get absolutely annihilated by this grouper it was an amazing sight. It's hard to explain this in this report it was something that had to be witnessed there and then. That wasn't even half the action that happened that day. I took these guys out to a shoal were we hooked an absolute beauty of a fish around the 35kg mark. But he reefed us.... and get this half an hour to and hour later working the same piece of reef hook a GT got it in to the boat with that exact lure, leader and line hanging out of it mouth. I just couldn't believe it I was completely lost for words. It just goes to show that these fish will still eat a lure after being hooked up. I was talking to Damon about this situation and in his experience only had this happened to him once. It's pretty amazing. I don't think that any day like this could be topped. I just hope that we have this steady action for the rest of the week. Its mind blowing......