Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Spare spools
July 26, 2007, 12:20:20 PM
Hi all,

Im looking at getting a spare spool for my dogfighter, and stumbled across some other after market ones called Studio Ocean Mark. Has anyone ever seen in these in person - what are they like quality wise?

cheers

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Spare spools
July 26, 2007, 12:46:19 PM
Andrew, I understand they are of a pretty decent quality but do not have the same drag capacity of the OEM spools. Dogfight spools are expensive!!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 26, 2007, 01:32:51 PM
Yeah, the DF ones arent exactly cheap, but neither was the reel so I didnt want to get anything dodgy. Neil has provided me the cost and its good for me. From what I read the aftermarket ones are rated to about 18kg of drag. I just need a spare for some 80lb.....

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 26, 2007, 01:34:35 PM
Andrew - for the difference in price, go for the OEM spool.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 26, 2007, 01:40:07 PM
Yeah, price wise there isnt much in it at all. I will end up getting the original, but some of the aftermarket stuff looks nice....I seem to be getting too much in to the bling lately - and not enough fishing !

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 26, 2007, 01:47:43 PM
If you have the time, upgrade the drag in the DF spools to carbontex.

Rob Ciotucha

July 26, 2007, 06:03:33 PM
What about just a standard 6000 or 6500 spoool compared to a dogfight 6500 spool is there any price difference?

Rob

Neil Griffiths

July 26, 2007, 06:56:13 PM
Hi all,

Im looking at getting a spare spool for my dogfighter, and stumbled across some other after market ones called Studio Ocean Mark. Has anyone ever seen in these in person - what are they like quality wise?

cheers

Studio Ocean Mark drags are crap, worse than original.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 26, 2007, 07:49:51 PM
Can they be upgraded Neil or should Andrew stick to the OEM?

SHizz

July 26, 2007, 10:18:32 PM
Dogfight spools are ~$300AUD from memory, standard 6000 or 6500's are ~ $240AUD.

The ocean mark ones are very nice looking but cant comment on them drag wise, have ordeded one for my stella 10k will post once i found out how they go!

Hal Harvey

July 27, 2007, 12:00:16 AM
Some curious responses there. Here's the facts: the Dogfight spool is identical (apart from colour) to the Expedition spool and the non-standard 6500 spool; they have the large face, small core, cost about $240 in the 6500 version (more for the Expedition and Dogfight) and take 300m PE8. They come with the standard drag, of course, and I've used it in my Expedition since they first came out (three years?) on a few hundred samsons and a handful of GTs, tuna, sails and wahoo, and have never had to do anything to it. It still has the original washers in it and has never even been pulled apart. It's as smooth as the proverbial and always has been.

Others have not been so lucky (though my four other Daiwa Saltiga spools have all been fine), and have replaced the fibre washers with Carbontex, which works fine too.

My two popper reels are both Saltiga 6000GTs (which accounts for two of the other four spools), but both are mostly used with Studio Ocean Mark 6500 spools, if only so that I could have a pretty red spool and a pretty silver spool to go with the custom handles. They both have original, untouched drags in them, have both caught a heap of good fish, and the drags have always been perfect. I'm pretty fond of fixing dodgy drags and have Carbontex in several reels, but I've never had to do it to any of those spools.

Andrew, if you want a spare spool for the DF, why not get a 6000 GT spool? It's a better size for lighter PE (the 80lb belongs on the DF spool) and a better diameter for working minnows and smaller stickbaits... casts better... just not quite as fast or as roomy, but you have the DF spool for that.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 27, 2007, 08:34:50 AM
You know what -I completely forgot about the possibility of getting a 6000gt spool instead of a DF one. I know when I was looking around I had asked on other forums about the intercompatibility and what would suit me chasing kings off the rocks, but clean slipped my memory. Thanks Hal for the reminder.

I have 50lb on the DF at the moment, and that works well and I have a fair bit on it in case of a tuna either off a boat or landbased or jigging, but I could get a GT spool and put the 80lb on that. I dont need as much capacity and given the cost of braid, I could spool this up easily to target close in kings and the slightly smaller face and lip will cast the 80lb well too. A bit opposite to what your suggesting Hal, but I dread trying to take the 50lb off the DF and onto the other spool then reloading again.....but either way that could provide a good solution to.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 27, 2007, 08:52:50 AM
but I do like the look of the DF spool, maybe I just need another reel  ::)

Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 27, 2007, 11:41:08 AM
Andrew,

Thats what I did.
I bought an Expedition first and then the GT.
I can change spools between them ....
GT with Exp spool is the same as the Dogfight, and the colours match.
By time I swap spools and work out which to use the fish will be long gone!!!  ;)
Just need some Bling now!!

Ken
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 27, 2007, 01:59:52 PM
Now you're talking Andrew :D, too many spools are confusing.You need more reels :-\ ;)
Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 02:01:50 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt