Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Elusive Reef 28 June 2010
June 29, 2010, 08:28:38 AM
 Damon:- Today saw some excellent weather and we set off from the mothership with Brandon, Tak and Paul onboard for what was set to be an excellent day. We had a real quality day on the water, with 15 GTs in the boat for the day, and a total of 24 solidly hooked up. We spent a few hours in the morning up in the shallows playing with sharkies and bludger trevally, and Brandon caught a very nice size chinaman fish on his light rod. We saw what looked like small dolphins porpoising in the shallows, in about 2m of water, and went to investigate only to find a pack of 15-20kg GTs sipping bait off the surface something like I imagine trout would do!! Quite astonishing, and quite a challenge when we had a double hookup on light tackle to 15kg GTs. Brandon and Paul both landed their GTs on the light tackle, and Tak unfortunately pulled the hooks. We picked away for the rest of the afternoon and consistently saw and caught fish, but had another crazy session on a shallow reef edge at about 3pm when we had packs of big fish crashing lures, and not hooking up. There was a 40-45kg fish that busted up bait on the surface and Brandon cast his popper next to the bust up to see a huge head engulf his popper and then spit it out again. I told him it was trebles... he did not like that one!!! We did loose a lot of fish today, but it was a very exciting day on the water. After yesterday afternoon's session catching 9 GTs and a whole bunch of mackerel in a few hours after the plane landed, the guys are all having a ball, and on top of the world. The fishing is going great, and the weather is being very kind. HAPPY DAYS!!

Tim- Awesome weather! So much better than last week! We moved anchorage today so I was able to fish an extensive area and we saw some really good Gt action for most of the day. We unfortunately dropped so many fish and had that many smashing it and missing the lure all together it is ridiculous but it we still managed to boat 17 for the day. We got bust off by a few fish and had a really big fish drag the 7.4 meter Noble towards the reef so that I had to put the motor in reverse to keep the fish from reaching the reef! Unfortunately there was so much strain on the new 130 pound braid it parted and we lost the fish. Over all it was an amazing day with heaps of fish seen and a bunch of tired but very happy anglers downing beers back at the mothership at days end.

Glanville:- What an awesome day, accompanied by Malcolm, Greg and Sam we went in search of some Gt Mania...and did we find it...Things were a little slow until around 10:30 and we had boated 2 fish, things after that went crazy there were fish getting hooked up left right and centre, we got a couple really quick and we moved over to the next bommie where we were kindly introduced to some very scared friends in the form of Fusilers, 3 lures went flying and seconds later, triple hook up Crazy might not be the word...in 2 hours of fishing we added another 19 quality Gts including an awesome specimen of around 34kg that Sam subdued, that brought our tally to 21 before the guys were begging to stop at the servo to refuel, "batteries were flat", so we called it lunch, it felt like we were watching a movie with the amount of bait shoals getting demolished all around us as we drifted in a dead calm ocean speaking about some of the amazing takes and some other interesting actions that the morning produced for us. After lunch we went for a small tour and we were once again met by some of our good but extremely scared friends, the game was on again and didn't really stop till the end of the day when we returned back to Odyssey with a total score of
33 GT, 4 Mackerel, my guys looked a little worse for wear and a very well done to Malcolm who beat his personal best with 18 GTs for a single days fishing...Its only day 1, warm up day, with a good weather forecast for the next couple of days I might find it a little hard to sleep with all the excitement, GTs be scared we back in town.... 

Nick: Well what a difference from last weeks weather and what a pleasure it was to be out today. From the first stop we had a double up onboard, wich was the beginning to a great day. As the day progressed we managed to see fish constantly all day with loads of bait shimmering close to the surface waiting for their number to be up. We lost quite a few fish today with a couple of strokes of bad luck. The highlight of my day for sure was a 28kg Spanish Mackeral leaping 2 meters out of the air with a new Orion Monster Popper in its mouth! Awesome fish caught by Eric himself. We had a great day and boated 16 GTs and the bus Mackeral. Lets go to sleep so tomorrow comes quicker..... 
Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 08:32:59 AM by Nomad Sportfishing

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Elusive Reef 28 June 2010
June 29, 2010, 09:01:39 AM
Lucky B@#$%ds ;) ;) ;)

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 29, 2010, 10:47:25 AM
Wow what a way to start a trip, great weather AND great fishing, the jackpot

Pleased to see good results in the few days following a full moon, I know a lot of guys feel this can be an unproductive time and since my trip in late August also follows a full moon had the question mark out....guess I have no excuses now

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 29, 2010, 01:45:28 PM
Still a few days to go Chris... but the weather isn't looking too sh!t hot for next week... 30knts wind and rain  :o :'( :'(
AKA: Sunny

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
June 29, 2010, 01:53:47 PM
I don't think it will be quite that bad Sunny!!, but - we may need to take some cement powder and a desert spoon in case we need to HTFU  ;)

millies

June 29, 2010, 06:26:39 PM
Well done Shiny   Pops  xxxx