Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Elusive Reef 4 July 2010
July 05, 2010, 08:57:27 AM
Damon:- The wind kept on blowing today, but Brandon, Chris and Luke were not concerned, and were ready for action. It seemed at first that the fish were asleep and not ready for action at all!! We tried the outside's of the reefs for little result, then finally chris scored a 25kg GT on his big 230g popper in deep water. Brandon hooked a very large fish straight after this and pulled the hooks. Brandon then had another solid GT eat his goby aftyer persisting over a patch of fusiliers. After lunch we moved into a couple of blue holes and Brandon scored a 35kg GT on the goby, and then had another pack attack on his goby, but failed to hookup. It was to be Brandon's day as he finished the day with another solid 32kg GT out of one of the blue holes, and Luke unfortunately missed a very large GT in the same hole. All up it was a satisfying day because we had to work hard for the fish, but the results were there in the end with two 30kg+ fish for the day, and a couple of smaller ones landed as well. The weather is improving tomorrow, so the fish better look out!!

Glanville:- Despite the bad conditions we had an awesome day, my army consisted of Martin, John and Ken. We had a little unfinished business to deal with in the morning and that was situated in a blue hole where Ken managed to throw his rod and reel over the previous day, after about an hour of snorkelling we managed to recover the rod thanks to Giles, by this stage the tide had gone out somewhat and we were forced to do some light tackle fishing within the blue hole where Ken snuck in a quality size Spangle Emperor, I felt like a little fish trapped in a rock pool, it was around 9-30 when there was enough water to sneak out and GTs beware we were free... about 5 casts into the routine and we had our first fish up in a shallow bay, a nice fish of around 25kg, a couple of casts later and bang another good size fish, we had only been fishing about 15mins and had two fish in the boat and seen another couple, we continued fishing our way down the outside edge in pursuit of a beast but the lures kept getting inside paddled by red bass, bludgers and smaller mackerel. It slowed down for a while before we were rudely woken up by masses of Gts and in the chaos and excitement never managed to boat a fish. The fishing was a little slow all round but we were very lucky and saw fish on most of the spots we fished, we only managed to boat 7 Gts and a couple other fish but we would have seen near 25 fish, they were completely shut down by the bad weather and I think the guys did really well to get that many to the boat. In all it was an amazing day, a day I will no doubt remember, hard fishing good company and laughter all day to keep us entertained...not a bad day in the office despite the windy conditions!!!

Nick:- Heading south this morning with Rob, David and Dominique proved to be quite difficult in the dory, so we had to take and alternate route through the lagoon. With the slack tide at around 8:30 this morning this left us waiting a little for water to start moving. We worked ledges on the southern reefs with no luck and not even a sighting, so with this I decided to head north and try and get out of the swell and into some of the blue holes further north where our new anchorage was. We managed to hook a fish around 12 but unfortunately pulled the hooks on them after a minute or so. Moving from hole to hole we saw fish but they just weren't committed enough to stay stuck. Time was ticking away and finally at 2 we managed to boat our first fish of the day on the turn of the tide in one of the channels, we went straight back there and on the second cast managed to hook up again. Now off the mark a late start I must say but better late than never I guess. Later we threw poppers into some bait and hooked up again but again the hooks pulled. One angler was using back to back singles on his 140 Orion Stick bait and the other was using the same 140 Orion Bigfoot with a treble on the belly and a single on back. The angler using the singles had two bites and landed both fish, the angler using the treble had two bites and two misses. On the way home we drove past a trout boat and managed to land another two fish including David's first GT - nice fish bru.

Chris:- Well today was a tad better as the weather had calmed down a bit. But the wind still made it difficult in the dories. I started off fishing my way south. Working a few shoals, ledgers and edges. Everything looked perfect. The tides were right, the water colour was amazing and there were a few patches of gars and fussies. But for some unknown reason no bite. We saw a few very nice fish but just weren't interested in the lure at all. I worked a few blue holes when the tide started picking up and saw an absolute horse of a fish, came tight I thought this was in the boat for sure but knowing my luck the hooks pulled. At this stage it was around 10 o'clock and as the mothership was moving anchorages further north it was best to start fishing our way up. We stopped at a point with a patch of fussies and I thought to myself this has to be game time but no love. At this stage I was kind of wondering what was going on. We moved into another blue whole first pop another bus but still couldn't keep the hooks tight. A little frustrating but hey 'that's fishing'. By this stage it was probably around 12 so I decided to fish the reefs close to the new anchorage. Pulled up to the first blue hole, everything looked perfect, first pop again, with a pencil popper by the way, pulled a nice fish of 40kg out which made the day delightful. Pulled up to the second blue hole, bending again, another nice GT within minutes. For the rest of the day it was just a case of us seeing fish and not catching them. we had a great little session on the light gear smashing some really good sized rainbow runners which made for some great fun on the light stuff. With double and triple hook ups it made for a really good finish to the day. Can only get better now....   

Jason Sladden

Re: Elusive Reef 4 July 2010
July 06, 2010, 10:58:45 AM
Can Mr Best elaborate any more on the rod at the bottom of the blue hole    ?????

Slads

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Elusive Reef 4 July 2010
July 06, 2010, 05:39:44 PM
Interesting report guys,sound like some good fish were caught but some were just not interested in feeding,playing hard to get huh...buggers... :)