Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Elusive Reef 5 July 2010
July 07, 2010, 08:58:43 AM
Damon:- The weather eased a little today and allowed us to roam around and look for some fish. I had Sunny, Ken and Dominique onboard today, and we had a great day on the water. We landed 7 GTs and a nice mackerel for the day, but we saw and missed a lot of GTs, including a couple of monster fish, one of which had to be 60kg, as it was at least 5ft long, and we got a very good look at it. We did not land a GT after 11am today, and we saw and missed a lot of fish after lunch. At 2:30pm the tide was high, and the fish stopped biting completely. Prior to this high tide, we had seen some very good action, but were a bit unlucky. Tomorrow looks like better weather, so I think the game will be on tomorrow!!

Glanville:- The weather died down a little today and we decided to move anchorages so we will be able to fish some unfished water when the weather gets better tomorrow, we had an awesome start to the day and 2nd cast from Brandon resulted in a nice Gt just over 25kg, we then moved around to the eastern edge to have a look atthe run in tide for some fish and we found some, Rob hooked a massive Spaniard around 30kg and it got airborne on his lure and crashed into the side of the boat wetting us all in the process, the next spot we stopped at was red bass heaven they were like sand these things, every cast with heavy GT gear and a giant red bass would be all over the lure, the guys in search of Gts nearly refused to cast so we decided to move and first cast another giant red bass, the rest of the day we continued to see the odd Gt and with a lot of persistence we managed to boat 5 Gts and a bucket full of red bass. I think with the new anchorage and better weather forecasted the Gts should put their tails between their legs and run for their lives cause tomorrow they are in big trouble...

Nick:- Well today looked like it was going to be a better day regarding the weather and it definitely was. I had Martin, Luke and Kai fishing with me today. On our first couple of stops we managed to get our first fish early around 8:30 or so which was a good start however the rest of the day proved to be hard work all the way. We managed to hook another fish earlier which ended up reefing Luke. Worked hard the rest of the day with no luck the fish were very scarce all over. Around 3 or so we were working a shoal and saw some fish busting up on the surface, not the usual so we went to investigate and im glad we did cos the were two decent size Mahi Mahi feeding on some gar fish sitting off the shoal as the Cubera 125 hit the water the cow was there and hooked straight away, the bull on the other hand was a little more reluctant. Made for a nice surprise and a good meal - thanks Martin.

Chris:- today was a much better day on the water with the winds easing. You would be surprised how much better the day is when you have calmer conditions. Today my aim was to fish blue holes all day. The morning stated off slow. Everything looked perfect. The water, the tide and the bait were all there but no takers. We didn't see our first fish till about 11. But after that we saw plenty to keep us on our toes. We pulled a nice 15-20kg GT out that put up an excellent fight in the shallows. Moving through the blue holes we probably saw at least 10 GTs for the day but only managed to boat one. We worked a small blue hole only 3 metres deep and saw an absolute giant come out of nowhere. I could safely say that this fish was at least 35kg if not more. The head on this thing was enormous. This fish ate the lure right next to the boat. It was surprising to see that this fish wasn't really fired up and just swam up behind this full scale pencil popper, opened its mouth lazily and sucked it in like a lollipop. Was a pretty amazing sight and I'd have to say that half of the fun isn't catching them but seeing these amazing takes. We moved a little further through the blue holes seeing plenty but just not managing to keep the hooks in. Tomorrow is a new day...