Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Elusive Reef 9 July 2010
July 13, 2010, 08:46:49 AM
Nick:- Change over day today so I headed out with four guys, Sunny, Ken, Rob and Kai. Two of them just spectators due to the hardships they have endured this last week of fishing. All four of them pretty broken but still found the energy to cast....one more time. Moving south a little for a few hours till the plane came was a good idea cos when we arrived there were patches of bait scattered along the ledge. All of a sudden I could see the wounded boys had found their second wind shortly after our first strike then all the hurt seemed to fade away - for a moment. To allow them another chance at the big one. Ken managed to hook up solidly boating a nice 22 kilo fish while the other guys where having pretty bad luck. With six or seven more strikes that morning we only managed to convert one. I think everyone was just happy to have seen the mayhem one more time before going back to the grind stone. Back to Odyssey to drop the guys off and have some lunch, with the next bunch of guys and girls we managed to get out the water around 3pm or so with some of them never having caught a fish before we were going to start of slowly and stick a couple trolling rods out. We managed to boat another GT on the troll along with gold spots, sharkies, mac tuna and a Job fish.

Tim:- I flew in with the first plane after a week off and after a quick rigging session headed off for the afternoon. A slow afternoon overall but still good because I got to know the guys and was able to show them a fair few tricks and what not to do with casting and fishing for Gts. 2 of the guys had not ever fished for Gts and one guy had very limited fishing experience so a very enjoyable afternoon's session of tuition ensued with a few smaller fish landed and we missed a few Gts with the biggest one being in the 30-35kg range. The guys are keen to put to use their new found skills in the morning - the Gts and other species had better watch out!

Chris:- well started the day off working a few edges and blue holes just to try and keep out of the wind. Had an absolute bus come up in a blue hole, swipe at the popper then leave which was a little unfortunate. Moved out to the edges where I found quite a few schools of fussies but for some reason couldn't raise a fish which was a little puzzling. Tried our luck at a few schools of bludgers, goldspot and shark mackerel and did quite well on the light stuff. I must mention that I have never seen a client cast themselves out of the boat before while casting poppers! This made for an eventful day which kept the laughter going on the boat. Well the afternoon session with the new clients was quite a great afternoon seeing plenty of GTs. We moved further down the reef, found a great patch of fussies and within seconds had 3 GTs come up but couldn't stick the hooks in. As the afternoon went out so did the GTs. One after the other just couldn't boat one. I was a little frustrated with these fish, one of which I called at about 45kg it was an absolute bus. As the sun got lower I decided to move back in the blue holes to finish off the day. First 2 casts 2 GTs up only of about 25kg but story of our lives couldn't keep the hooks in. We move further down the blue hole, I knew at this stage that our luck must turn. There was this one spot I knew for sure there was a fish, between 2 bomys in a blue hole. First cast another fish of about 45kg was monstrous lept out of the water but missed completely. Seeing the whole fish was pretty amazing. Last cast for the day and pulled out a nice 32kg fish. Taking on a Bugatti special rigged with 2 SJ41 9/0s on the belly and a Jobu 9/0 on the tail. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings

Alex:- Today was a bit of a change of pace for me. After chasing barra for the last week and watching them go nuts on sebile lures and landing my first wild metre specimen I was back on Odyssey chasing those angry black creatures. We had a few show themselves but not very keen and then we put some minnows out and got a few sharkies and gold spots in the few hours we fished this afternoon, there was a heap of little white bait around so I think the light tackle will go off in the next few days as well as some good gts, hopefully the fishing gods keep smiling and the week goes well, stay tuned.