AustralianAngling

PAPUA NEW GUINEA EXPEDITION
August 06, 2007, 08:18:57 AM
Dear Friends

I am about to organize an exploratory expedition to a few Reef Systems about 200 miles off the West New Britain coast in the Bismark Sea. They are called the Otillian and Whirlwind Reefs.   We will be traveling in comfort aboard the 25 meter MV Fabrina. 

MV Fabrina is fully airconditioned and will accommodate up to 12 clients, however we will only be taking 9 anglers if possible.

There will be three 6.5 meter sportsfishers on tow for quick departure should we see some big yellowfin on the way.  This reef system, has not seen a sports fisherman and I believe there will be big doggies, GT's and a large variety of giant pelagic.  This is an exploratory trip which will also offer a combination of scuba diving for those whom are interested and will also take us throughout the Vitu Group of Islands where we may visit one of the villages and possibly experience some of their cultural festivities. 

The Vitu's are extinct volcanic Islands, one with a huge natural harbor created in ancient times providing the perfect anchorage for our vessel.

The expedition will be around 5 to 6 nights with unlimited fishing opportunity.  The cost will include all meals and laundry plus fishing and diving.  Departure will be from Walindi Resort/Kimbe that evening and by the next morning we should be in amongst the fish.

Flight cost from Australia will be notified later, but I estimate a return Cairns/Hoskins trip of around A$1250.

The vessel is chartered in US$.  It is estimated at this stage, with 9 anglers, to be around US$370 per night/person excluding airfares. A total of 6 nights is $US 2220.   Future trips may be at a higher price.

A non refundable deposit of A$900 will be required to confirm your reservation and the payment in full is required 50 days prior to departure, as I will need to pay for most of the charter in advance.

This type of fishing/diving adventure is a first for this area and should not to be missed.   We will accept the first nine anglers whom confirm with their deposits.  Dates are set for the first week in December

Attached is map showing the approximate locations of our fishing grounds.  The red dot on the bottom right is Kimbe and the destination is the gold dot.  Mid way is the Vitu Islands Group

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PAPUA NEW GUINEA EXPEDITION
August 25, 2007, 08:21:41 AM
Hi Steve,

Is there any more information about the mothership? Any links?

What dates and tide do you have in mind?

Sounds very interesting.
Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 08:23:16 AM by Luke Wyrsta

AustralianAngling

September 04, 2007, 06:03:46 PM
TRIP FULL

Mothership
Type: Steel Mono Hull
Length: 21.84 metres (72 feet)
Beam: 6.05 metres (20 feet)
Draft: 11.829 metres (6 feet)
Number of passengers: 12
Accommodation: 7 cabins

Matthew Clem

September 18, 2007, 08:23:53 PM
Hi Steve,
just a little off the topic of where you're going, but I wonder if you can help me? I'm off in about 7 weeks to Kavieng in PNG and heading to New Hanover on a 42 footer for 5 days and was wondering if you've ever fished this neck of the woods. The whole GT popping thing is quite new to me and this website has cleared up a few issues I've had regarding this style of fishing but just after a bit more info.
Cheers, Matt.

AustralianAngling

September 19, 2007, 01:30:27 PM
Hi Matt

I lived in Kavieng for a couple of years operating fishing & diving.
Fishing there is excellent many channels between New Ireland and New Hanover.
New Hanover on East Coast has chain of island running all the  way to the north.
Dyaul Island of west side between New Ireland & New Hanover is also well worth a visit.
You will need months to fish this area.

Matthew Clem

September 20, 2007, 09:01:15 AM
Thanks for that Steve, and just by chance, you wouldn't happen to know Greg Jacobs at all?
He's the owner of the boat we're going on, who is a long time friend of my fathers who used to fish together when we lived in Port Moresby, and he also runs charters out of there as well.