jarrodday

WHERE TO BUY TOP SHELF POPPERS
August 11, 2007, 12:18:29 PM
Hey all, im heading over to Vanuatu in a few weeks but cant seem to find a place to purchase top shelf poppers. ie: craftbait, orion etc: i know Nomad sells his poppers and stickbaits as well as carpenter but who has GT pencil poppers?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: WHERE TO BUY TOP SHELF POPPERS
August 11, 2007, 05:30:44 PM
Craftbait and Hammerheads are available from Jones' Tackle so give Neil a call if you're interested. Orions are not to my knowledge available anywhere in Australia from any retailer. If you're on a Nomad charter aboard the Odyssey, they do stock some models but not the really big ones like the T-Rex or ConoCono. if you're going in a few weeks, you've basically got little chance of acquiring Orions in that time.

If you're really desperate for a couple of Orions, I'll part with a couple if you're in Sydney and you're willing to go to the trouble of coming around. Sorry, but too much effort required if I have to post them!

Forget about Carpenter GT lures - noone here sells them and they can't be had for money or love. Pencil poppers you can use for GTs - well, the Heru (sold in Australia under the Nomad or Blackjack name) Amano and Skipjack are excellent. The little Tuna from the same manufacturer is excellent too.

I hope you're not going to Vanuatu specifically for GTs and that is it part of a mixed trip which involves jigging etc. Vanuatu doesn't have the same extensive coral reefs and structure you find in other parts of the Coral Sea as it is on a different plate. You will get GTs there but it is not of the same standard for GT fishing as (say) New Caledonia
If it swims; I want to catch it!

jarrodday

August 11, 2007, 10:21:34 PM
thx brandon, i know, im taking 4 clients out for a week, jigging, popping etc:. next year im planning on nomad, emailed damon some time ago but ive been very busy of late. will organise something with him in the near future, alternatively i was thinking of going to New Cal in 2008, Sept sometime. maybe thats the other option.

cheers,

Jarrod

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
August 11, 2007, 11:06:55 PM
It is really a stunning place with mountainous islands with amazing clifss and drop-offs. This is why they have such great seamounts and why it's a great doggie location. Do you know the area you're going to be fishing? It's better if you can get out to the outer islands as the area around Port Vila has been heavily fished.

The secret to big doggies there is live bait - and big ones (the live bait) at that.

Good luck!
If it swims; I want to catch it!