Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Frederick Reef 1 August 2010
August 02, 2010, 09:12:51 AM
Nick:- We all were waiting in anticipation this morning to see what we were in for at our first day at Fredrick Reef. I headed out today with Damon, Warren, Jose and Graham on a mission to get Yellowfin on poppers and Wahoo on casting gear as well. On our approach to coulder we saw a big flock of birds working and underneath it were what we were looking for....as our poppers hit the water it only took a few pops to raise a fish and we were straight into it with triple hook ups and mayhem first up in the morning it was a bit too much to get a grip on so early. We decided to head over to the sea mount trolling a Sebile Bonga Jerk wich you can troll at 20 knots. Towing this high speed minnow is somewhat different but it does work and is good while you have to cover ground. We managed to land a few nice wahoo on casting gear today but the sharks were causing a bit of a problem early on in the day. After lunch they seemed to disappear, making our lives and the Wahoos' much better. A really action packed day today and one I won't forget in a hurry. Graham mention that before he came out here he wanted to catch a Yellowfin on a popper and a Wahoo on a stickbait and he managed to do that a few times before lunch!

Glanville:- Well our first day at Frederick and it once again is awesome to be here, rigged up with a menagerie of tackle we went to battle with high expectations for this reef that is renowned as far as bluewater fish go, in particular wahoo and yellowfin tuna. We steamed to a sea mount just off Frederick and were greeted on our arrival with heaps of birds and Yellowfin tuna busting up all over the joint and it wasn't a heartbeat and Patricks Sebile Stick Shad 182 was sent into flight, which resulted in a bent rod and screaming reel as a nice size Yellowfin tuna stripped off line, nice way to begin the day, we played around with a couple of shoals of yellowfin and boated 4 or 5 fish around 10kg before moving onto some wahoo madness where we tamed a couple of fish in quick succession, we even caught a couple on the Bonga Jerk trolling at 18knots, I felt sorry for the poor torsa by the end of it... We decided to take a much needed lunch break which got interrupted by a couple of yellowfin splashing around the boat, Patrick fired a cast which was immediately intercepted by a large yellowfin which pulled the hooks at the end of it, we fished around the birds for a little while longer before Larry got stuck into a solid yellowfin tuna of 40-45kg which was taken on a sinking stick shad. The afternoon session was probably the best bite for the day and we had wahoo going crazy with triple hook ups on casted lures for the rest of the afternoon, I was very reluctant to leave but daylight got the better of us towards the end of the day. 

Josh Cunningham

Re: Frederick Reef 1 August 2010
August 02, 2010, 12:42:55 PM
Thats what I like to hear!!!!! Very excited!!!

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Frederick Reef 1 August 2010
August 02, 2010, 02:46:43 PM
Oh my god (as Glanville would say)

Started checking my terminal gear levels and culling the lures on the weekend plus changed the line on one of my reels, 25 days until Bugatti, bring it on!