Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Crimping solid rings.
August 25, 2007, 05:37:33 PM
Hi, new to this forum. Some great stuff here.

My question; Is anyone crimping their solid rings to leaders for jigging?
I realise that most leader is easily tied....... but was just thinking crimps should be strong enough and neat. Was thinking of maybe using 2 quality crimps and sliding over either heat-shrink or glow tube or just leaving crimps bare.
Any thoughts on pro's and con's?  cheers Daz.

Ben Keller

Re: Crimping solid rings.
August 25, 2007, 08:03:07 PM
Hi Daz,
Welcome to the forum.

I have just moved from knots to crimps with my jigging. I use 2 crimps, one close by the solid ring (with some protective tubing) then twist about 6 inches of leader back up itself and crimp the second one. The second crimp and the additional twists are just for some additional abrasion resistance to the cuda, and for piece of mind.

I lost a couple of fish with the knot tightening down on itself and snapping under sudden shock. Havnt had the same problem with crimps.

I wouldnt worry about heat shrink, for me fire and fishing line is not a sweet thing in any circumstance. Plus its just another thing to have to do.

A possible con may be super fussy fish may be put off by the additional 6 inches of doubled up line, but having said this I cant prove it as Im normally the only one jigging on the boat and my biggest fish so far has been taken on this rig, and my catch rate seems exactly the same. The extra abrasion resistance is well worth the possibility of spooking fish for my situation.

Cheers
Ben

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
August 25, 2007, 11:50:56 PM
Darren, I don't know anybody that ties the jig connection, I use a bit of line guard [tubing] on the loop and two crimps, nice and neat and never had a failure there. ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 26, 2007, 08:59:02 AM
Crimps are the way to go never had one move although if you are using owner solid rings a line guard is a must.I use a 1.3mm crimps on 150lb leader and use two but only 1cm apart.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Che Carson

August 26, 2007, 04:39:39 PM
It sounds like its done different over east ???

Most of the guys jigging sambos on the west coast and running heavy drags tie there mono leaders straight to the swivel. A three or four turn uni knot is more than good enough. I have been using this system for 4+ years and haven't had a problem yet.

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 29, 2007, 08:12:31 PM
Thanks guys,used the crimped system today with success........shame about my first PR knot, had one failure and resorted back to bimini-allbright.  ???

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 29, 2007, 08:26:39 PM
Hey Darren have you tried the Bimini to a wind-on leader works a treat except for wind-ons costing a bit ,which is why i make my own.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 29, 2007, 09:39:16 PM
Cam,
       no not for jigging but i do have some floating around somewhere.
Is there any instuctions on how to make them here?

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 30, 2007, 04:53:52 AM
Um no i don't think it has been brought up yet on the forum on how to make them but if you were to Google wind on leaders you should find something, there quite easy once you get all the correct tools.I got all my tools and dacron ,leader,glue thread and bobbin from Wellsys Tackle but  im sure someone down your way would stock it.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Ben Keller

August 30, 2007, 11:25:08 AM
Where did your PR knot fail Darryn?

Was it a slip or a snap?

Cheers
Ben

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 30, 2007, 09:09:07 PM
Ben, it was a snap, where i finished it i imagine. Was thinking i must have done something weird at the half hitches above the burned knob on the leader. Couldnt imagine that knot slipping unless everything was falling apart.
The PR knot on my other set-up held ok and landed 3 kings to about 10kg with resonably serious drag so i wont give up on the PR just yet.

Ben Keller

August 31, 2007, 10:56:23 AM
I never put fire anywhere near my knots.

If the little blob on the end of the leader is the last resort holding everything together, which its not, ill change knots.

I have never had it slip through or anything like that. If it breaks it seems to pop right at the waterline (wet line tests lower, I think).

I would say it would have been the excess heat, rather than the half hitches. The hitches dont do bugger all in my opinion, except tidy the end of the knot so it doesnt all unravel. The strength of the knot comes from the fact that the mainline runs straight through the center of the knot, with no additional twisting.

The other weekend I got beaten by my first kingfish. Duel speedy maxed out on sunset, plus thumb on the spool, between 15-16kg of drag on the fish (tested on a scale afterwards  ;) ) and the trusty PR didnt fail me. Glad to hear your not giving up on it, best.........knot..........ever.......

Cheers
Ben

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 01, 2007, 04:25:15 PM
Hey Ben are you going to let on where you found such a kingfish?  lol
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Ben Keller