Steven Kakonyi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jig recommendations
October 08, 2010, 11:24:21 AM
I’m am wanting to purchase a few jigs and was just wondering what your recommendation are as far as colours, design and brands were concerned. I’m looking to target dogtooth, AJ’s and kings.
Cheers for your advice
Steve

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Jig recommendations
October 08, 2010, 04:47:22 PM
Steve, this is a much broader question that you might think.

It might be useful to first separate the species and then give the guys some information on where you propose to fish, the depth, likely current etc. All of these influence the type of jig you may need. As an example, let's compare two locations simply on the basis of depth. If you're fishing in 100m depth but one location has no current but another has very strong current, you might be able to get away with a 150-200g jig where there is no current but might need 500-600g for the second.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 08, 2010, 09:55:07 PM
Steve, totally agree with Brandon.

Maybe include the price you are willing to pay for the jigs also.

I hope you know what you are starting here............

Chris

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 09, 2010, 09:41:17 AM
short jigs , long jigs , centre weighted, tail weighted there are so many .what rod and reel are you using ?

Steven Kakonyi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 09, 2010, 03:44:28 PM
Hi guys
The outfit that that I will be using is a Jig Wrex S 508 (wouldn’t have been my first choice but it was a gift) teamed up with Saltiga 6500exp. With P.E 8
I haven’t done a lot of jigging before, what I have done has been for general reef sp. Eg. Trout, job fish and trevally but am yet to specifically target the above mentioned species.
I am aware of the issues regarding jig weights  in  terms of both depth and tidal run but as I am not too familiar with  the amount of run (I will probably be fishing around the 120m line) I was looking a getting a spread of jigs between 150g -500g
    Regarding  prices I’m not too concerned, what I am looking for are good middle of the road jigs that will catch fish, unless you feel that there is a significant advantage to gain from spending the extra.
Mark, as far as, long, short centre weighted jigs are concerned I’m open to suggestion essentially I am flying blind, the small amount of jigging that I’ve done in the past has been with short jigs but the only reason being they were the ones that were recommended to me at the time.
Really appreciate the comments so far, hope this makes thing a bit ore clear.
Steve

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 10, 2010, 01:44:25 AM
Hi Steve,

To fish 120m depth, you will probably use 250-350g jigs mainly (slightly heavier with PE8 line) and a bit of lighter jigs and heavier jigs depending on target and the condition.

Generally centre-weighted jigs are designed for better horizontal action with more natural movement and slower to sink (means hard to get bottom in some situation) and front/rear weighted jigs are for vertical action and quicker to get bottom. Long shape centre-weighted jigs will often appeal the most for those species but there are also the situation when fish only come to little jigs with bait imitation action.

Many mid-priced jigs are well made and work well. When I want to spend an extra $ is usually getting jigs made of other materials such as iron or tungsten which behave quite differently from lead jigs (also better for environment) but not to worry for now.

Sorry for being just a general idea rather than recommendation - so many jigs out there!

Cheers,
Tak

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 10, 2010, 06:51:20 AM
well here are a few proven brands that will work for your target species . SEVENSEAS - HOOKER1 .FISHERMAN - ANDERMANS . SHOUT - STAY .  JIGGING MASTER - ALIEN . ZEST - CURVED SLIDER . RIVER2SEA - SEAROCK , these are just an idea of some jigs  to look at , maybe guys could list their favourite jigs/most success for the listed species that may help you .Good luck

Marko Pekic

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 26, 2011, 07:39:59 PM
for amberjacks and sambos i did very well on Jigging master aliens in pink and silver. I jig in about 110 metres of water and on calm days will jig with 150 grams and not so pleasant days have fished upto 350 grams.. if very unpleasant then i stay at home in bed :)
When x meets y