Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jewell Reef 25 October 2010
October 26, 2010, 08:46:57 AM
Glanville:- Another day of mind blowing GT action…we steamed out to the edge of the reef and started fishing at about 8:45, we put some lures in and tried for a Dogtooth on the run in tide and it wasn’t long before we had a solid fish hooked up, but as it often happens with Dogtooth fishing it ended with disappointment as the fish beat us in the reef. After a while of trolling deep diving minnows around in pursuit of another elusive Doggie with little success, we opted for a bit of GT fishing and I think the guys got a lot more than they bargained for, second cast for the day and Johnny was hooked into a beast, with a little squealing he handed the rod over to one of the other boys who also fell victim to the strength of the GT and after the efforts of 3 anglers we managed to subdue and pull into the boat a great fish of around 40kg, with excitement now in full swing I pulled us up again for another drift and the guys sent their lures flying which instantly resulted in double bending, pretty good start to the morning fishing…it wasn’t till about 11am when we stumbled into madness “mobile GT bommies”, 4 lures went flying 4 fish hooked up and 4 fish in the boat, next bommie 2 lures flying, 2 GTs in the boat, it carried on like this until the guys were practically begging me for a lunch break so I handed out a hand full of “girls skirts” and we ran onto the inside and anchored up to have some lunch and put some batteries on the chargers cause by this stage a couple of the guys batteries were that flat they were battling to pick their sandwiches up…the after lunch session started off in madness or should I say tears for the guys as once again we had 4 fish solidly hooked up with maybe at least another 1000 (that’s an under estimate for those who were thinking!!!!!) just swimming under the boat in the crystal blue ocean, 3 mobile GT bommies had merged together to create their own little reef… The afternoon carried on in a similar fashion until in the process of the madness one of the guests whilst fighting a fish somehow got his line stuck behind my ear and my sunnies got pulled off into the sea, nearly my ear too, well at this stage I was a little busy and couldn’t dive down to fetch them cause I had the hook remover in one hand, another Gt on the leader wrapped around the other hand, another GT of about 30kg lying on the deck for a photo opportunity, little busy for that and the other one that was still hooked up was getting chased by a giant shark so prob not the best time to go for a swim…shark prob got a very smooth look now!!! So that kinda ended our day’s fishing and I now know what it feels like to be blind as the trip home was directly into the sun which was no fun but the feeling of catching somewhere between 45-55 GTs, I lost count, with fish up to 40kg was still running through the blood…yet another phenomenal day’s fishing, just when you think it can’t get better.

Tim: The weather was a lot kinder to us today and we started the day off with a session on the GTs, just casting to the edge of the reef  and in no time at all we had bending rods and lots of grunting and groaning as the guys’ fishing muscles were rudely awakened. We had packs of patrolling GTs along the edge demolishing all lures presented to them. The guys had a ball and we even manage to jig up a few GTs that were hanging down deep and would not come up to the surface lures. By 11.00 the guys had had enough of the GTs and were keen on some light tackle tactics in the shallows. However you don’t always get what you wish for! Jim cast his GT popper near a bommie in 2 meters of water and a GT of 40kg absolutely annihilated his popper and the fight was on. He did a marvellous job of keeping heaps of pressure on the fish and giving it stick while I assisted with the boat and in the end we had it boat side and avoided being bust off by the numerous bommies in the vicinity. Jim did a superb job and was the man of the day. The flats produced lots of variety and lots of fun. A very enjoyable day for sure and I know the guys are going to be sore tonight and even more so in the morning!

Saltaire:  Today we started off on the search for some more unreal GT action. It was not long before we found ourselves right in amongst GT mayhem. Every clients’ rod fully loaded up with a GT as we were drifting through plagues of them all swarming around the boat at times. It’s not long before the guys get tired and warn out it must be like an intense gym work out for them up here. So we decided to go for a troll through some bommies in a bit shallower water on the inside of the reef. We were catching trout after trout with good size to them as well. As it became towards 2 o’clock it was time to search for a marlin but we had no success with the heavy tackle today.