Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jewell Reef 1 Nov 2010
November 03, 2010, 03:11:45 PM

Chris:- We started the day off travelling to jewel reef, the plan was to fish for some GTs, play in the shallows and do a little bit of jigging. I worked a few edges and deep bommies of Jewell Reef catching a GT here and there but nothing that was crazy then we moved into the shallows working a few schools of bluefin trevally, which made for awesome fun in the shallows on the light gear. We also caught a nice size GT around the 15kg mark on the light gear. This was a really good effort in the shallows. We caught plenty of species some of which include coral trout, barracuda, shark and Spanish mackerel, bluefin, bludger and giant travelley, triggerfish to name a few…

Damon:- A simply awesome day today. We a started with 5 GTs at the first reef we stopped at, all within an hour, and then fished the outside of Jewell, which was a little slow, and then went in the shallows at Jewell, and this was simply incredible. We were in 1-3m of water for the rest of the day, and would have easily caught 80 fish, consisting of 15 different species. Most of the fish were between 3-6kgs, all caught on the light rods. Of course there were the usual big wrasse and big GTs that busted us off, but that is how it goes… There were the usual red bass, GTs, 3 species of emperor, coral cod, long nose emperor, yellow lip maori sea perch, bluefin trevally, boarfish, jobfish, maori wrasse, a couple of species of triggerfish, including one with the meanest teeth I have ever seen on any fish, and a host of other things. The action was just chaotic at times, with swarms of fish following the boat and anything hitting the water being eaten. Hard to explain this because it was hard to believe, and we saw it!! We jumped in and watched underwater while drifting with the boat as the guys onboard caught fish after fish, and we could see the fish coming and fighting over the lures. Truly spectacular, and one of the most memorable days I‘ve had on the water.