Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Why You Should Always Be Careful With Trebles (And Casting)!

This came from a friend of mine not long back - first cast during a GT expedition, next minute going home :o :'(

Oh yeah, you may want to crush trebles as well!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Luke - this is actually a very good thread and an important topic for all GT fishermen.

I'd always encourage people to be cautious and look behind them when they get into a casting position. If there is any doubt, don't cast. The other point is if you are on a boat with a cowboy, pull them up firmly a soon as it happens. Believe me, this is not a time to be shy because they are not putting themselves in danger, just everyone else on the boat. It is your trip they are going to spoil, not theirs.

I've generally had little problem because I pulll people up immediately but I have heard of some cowboys who friends have fished with who will cast directly over other people in the boat if they think there are fish in that direction.

There are some really exciteable people out there who don't seem to pay any heed to safety.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Thats gotta have hurt  :o

Ive lost count of how many times Ive had to pull people up when Ive been fishing off the rocks because of their casting technique (or lack of) and careless attitude.

Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Think of the pressure needed on that hook to bend it like that with the human head. If a person was hit in the upper neck, front or back, it could have pierced something vital.
The scalp is a bad enough place to be cut, lots of claret.
A very good reminder for all.
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
or an eye........

Think of the pressure needed on that hook to bend it like that with the human head. If a person was hit in the upper neck, front or back, it could have pierced something vital.
The scalp is a bad enough place to be cut, lots of claret.
A very good reminder for all.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
OUCH .

been looking around and i found this

so i thought why not bump this to the top  ;D
to WARNING  everyone

BE CAREFULL on what your casting .

Aaron Concord

I had my prescription sunnies ripped off my face by a GT recorder 4 years ago.......I still get the shivers from it, not to mention the anger at the casters stupidity.
It was a 'change in direction' cast that nearly got me in the left temple.

Keep safe.

For you and your mates sake.

jay currie

I had a mate hit in the eye with a jig head by another mate casting (not me :)) , just extremlly lucky the hook was pointing away from his eye when it hit or else it could have been alot worse then a blood shot eye! I dont think the other bloke hs fished with us since

craig breadsell

The other thing to be wary of is wind knots and new braid!!   In the last few months I have tested some new gear (unbranded and still under destruction testing) So far I have bounced 2 lures into the boat because of wind knots. One was a reel with a cheaper brand of braid I havn't tried. The end result was braid around the stripper guide, lure snapped in half after bouncing off the bow rail!!  The end theory is dodgy braid for spin gear and a reel with oscilation which does not suit braid.  Didn't scratch the boat and didn't break the reel after blooding it on a 30kg model however I will be very wary of testing new gear.

Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
i just got goose bumps, stuff that!

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi All,

Sends a shiver down my spine this one.  I'm from the UK and have to put in the miles for GT's....one incident like this and the whole trips potentially gone !!

We work a simple rotation system.  The bloke at the front casts then shuffles his way backwards down the side of the boat popping as he goes.  The next guy then moves to the front and casts and works his way back...and so on.  Works well and gives plenty of room to the guy casting.  Does need everyone to play ball though !

Tight lines   Dave

Mat Selwyn

I've posted this up before but thought it relevant to the thread.
Brought a queenie in very green (as you do when set up to pop for trevs, even if they are smallish. There where follows and hits everywhere, we had landed a couple of trevs around 9 and 12kgs. Queenie generally get in the way of chasing other fish when you've been in Darwin for years and in my haste to remove one from my lure I had managed to get a hook stuck in my shoe, with a thrashing queenie on the other one. Got it out only to have the fish swing it straight into my thumb. The fish was about 6-7kgs going off it's head attached to my thumb, digging the hook in down and deep. No pulling it out following the curve in and no being able to do the line pull thing. Nearly fainted and should not have tried that at all anyway. With the adrenalin pumping I was also stupid enough to just try and pull it out with brute force. Needless to say nearly fainted agin.Off to the hospital, local anasthetic and 3 orderlies and a big set of bolt cutters to get it out. The doctors reminding me to never pull out a hook lodged deeply in your hand or even feet. If it has buried itself in a tendon or ligament you can do alot more damage trying to pull it out. The pain wasnt that bad, although the worst of it was leaving where we were fishing with my mate driving to fast over some speed humps to get me to the emergency room.

Sorry bout the quality of the pic, it's from my phone.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Ohhhh man....Thats horrible... :o

That would have hurt like hell.!!!

Pete