David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pencil popper recommendations.
September 10, 2007, 07:02:08 PM
Just wondering what are some good pencil poppers to go for.  Any recommendations on various types from cheapies to the more excy imported ones.  Any favourite colurs also?  Or is it all in the action and retrieve?

Cheers Dave

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Pencil popper recommendations.
September 10, 2007, 08:16:38 PM
David -pencils are a reasonably forgiving popper in that I do not believe the premium branded lures offer much more performance than the cheaper ones. If you're simply looking a multi-purpose popper that can work well as both a chugger or a pencil, have a look at the Yo-Zuri Surface Bull which is readily available in Australia.

A decent pencil that works well in heavier water is the Blackjack Amano (I don't know wheher this model comes out under the Nomad label but it might).

My personal favourite is the Fisherman Longpen (yes, I acknowledge this is a premium lure but I just like how it looks)

Pencils can get tossed around a bit in heavier water and work best (IMHO) in calmer waters. To me, too much white water and the trail isn't as visible and I prefer chuggers in such conditions. That said, the Amano above does work well in rougher conditions and looks to me like it is made to do this specifically. One look at one and that will be obvious. It's heavily weighted at the back
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
September 10, 2007, 10:47:47 PM
I would reach anyday for a Fisherman Long Pen over just about any other pencil out there. Yes, simple design but it just seems to be perfect. Longer than most pencils, great weight and casts well. Fisherman also make some much bigger pencils such as the Alligator Pop and ParoParo. Not too much of a fan of the YoZuri Surface Bull - i've broken too many way too easily. An alternative to the Surface Bull would be the Surface Cruiser. I also think Braid made a pencil popper but i've never seem them at any physical or online shop.

An alternative to the Amano is the Skipjack. Not bad lure and can be used as a blooper as well - not ideal though IMO.

David, Plat just got some Long Pen's in - my advice would be to snap some up before i do!

Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 10:50:50 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 11, 2007, 04:25:22 PM
Hi David. I am a big fan of pencil poppers as I seem to get good results out of them and most of my popping is done in calmer water. I find the surface bull and surface cruiser both pretty good once the stock terminals are junked and replaced with heavier duty items. I also suggest the Zest pencil popper. 8 inches and 110 grams with the stock split rings and trebles. I have had excellent results on these. Try www.hottackle.com
At about $10usd + postage although you would spend a bit more to get up to Owners for these I reckon they are a steal. The finish wears off fast but the popper keeps getting hits which is what matters. You could also file down the barbs on some large Mustad doubles and use these instead of Owners and bypass the split rings saving yourself a lot of money in the process. I do this and it works for me.
Let me know how you go.
I ordered 10 today.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 11, 2007, 05:59:23 PM
Sachin - just about everything on that website is out of stock!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
September 11, 2007, 06:08:10 PM
Hi David. I am a big fan of pencil poppers as I seem to get good results out of them and most of my popping is done in calmer water. I find the surface bull and surface cruiser both pretty good once the stock terminals are junked and replaced with heavier duty items. I also suggest the Zest pencil popper. 8 inches and 110 grams with the stock split rings and trebles. I have had excellent results on these. Try www.hottackle.com
At about $10usd + postage although you would spend a bit more to get up to Owners for these I reckon they are a steal. The finish wears off fast but the popper keeps getting hits which is what matters. You could also file down the barbs on some large Mustad doubles and use these instead of Owners and bypass the split rings saving yourself a lot of money in the process. I do this and it works for me.
Let me know how you go.
I ordered 10 today.

Hi Sachin,

This is not a critisism - use what works for you.

I can't help but think that you are setting yourself up for failure by not upgrading your terminals from the start on your lures like the Yo-Zuri's. You'll be kicking yourself when that 60kg GT errupts, long fight and your split ring or crappy treble has failed.

There is no lure i am yet to use besides from Fisherman lures that have adequate stock terminals.

Ivan Verhage

September 11, 2007, 08:17:15 PM
Hi guys
I have turned out some very inpresive poppers and among them are some nice pencil poppers.
I will be trying them out in a couple of weeks
They are around 25-30cm and one is fitted with 5/0 owner 66
I have atached a file with pictures because i do not know how to post pictures.

John Marshall

September 11, 2007, 09:12:45 PM
G'Day Ivan,

They look quite impressive. What type of timber did you use and how did you drill laterally through the body so accurately?

John

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
September 11, 2007, 09:49:02 PM
I tried making one popper ( i wont post the pics of it) but I had a shocker trying to get the drill hole from one end to the other even. You need some kind of bench drill press or something. I was using a handheld and , well, cant say it was the most attractive looking thing I made.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
September 11, 2007, 10:21:33 PM
I also have the latest Craftbait pencil which i'm itching to try - can't wait. Such quality!!!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 11, 2007, 10:31:19 PM
I also have the latest Craftbait pencil which i'm itching to try - can't wait. Such quality!!!

.......and price!!   :o
whew - that got me off 666  ;D

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 12, 2007, 10:39:15 AM
Hi Luke. I take your point about upgrading terminals and I do indeed do this. As you note most stock poppers come with terminals that are not up to the task. I replace the stock hooks on the Zest and Yo Zuris with Mustad doubles. Have to get the model number so we know what hook I am talking about. These are very strong but you have to file the barbs down for easier hooksets and release. Commercial fishermen here use these trolling for yellowfin and wahoo on heavy (200lb) handlines and Alvey deck winches. They do not straighten and offer an economical solution for all except the top shelf poppers on which you would put Owners or Decoys. I have ordered and received Owner ST76 and 11H split rings but will put in an order for some of the more exotic poppers before deploying them. Hal from Bluewater has made some recommendations so I suppose it is a matter of time. My approach to some degree has come from the fact that in Fiji I cannot get Owners or Decoys without resorting to internet orders. The doubles offered a workable solution but as you say a 60kg fish will make things interesting enough to change my reasoning.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 12, 2007, 10:41:20 AM
Hi Brandon. I note that the Popping Master and Jigging Master lures are out of stock and have been for as long as I can care to remember but the Zest lures are there.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 12, 2007, 10:44:57 AM
Ivan, those poppers look first rate. Please try and post some pictures from when they do get hammered.

Ivan Verhage

September 12, 2007, 04:34:00 PM
Hi guys
The poppers i make are made out of pine and then finished with a thick flow coat resen
to drill the hole i keep the popper on the lathe but change the tale stock to one which has a chuck and a long drill bit goes in.
you can also drill them by hand by drilling in a couple of inches and then hold the popper with your hand and drill slowley letting the popper spin to see if it is on center.
it is exspecily hard with pencil poppers.