Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Diamond Islets 8 Dec 2010
December 09, 2010, 09:38:34 AM
Glanville:- today was a phenomenal day and one of the best I have yet to experience... we started the day off with a bunch of mad keen anglers who had me out of bed at 5:30am we headed straight out to the danger area in hope of a behemoth doggie we tried some jigging for the first half an hour but no love so we set some lures out for a troll and it wasn't long before we had a solid wahoo launch out of the water with the stickbait between its scissors a couple quick pics and we set the lures out again...must have been 15 minutes before my guys were shouting as I turned around I  noticed the massive hole in the ocean where out 150g stickbait once swam, the reel by this stage was screaming with an enormous amount of drag... after a brief but extreme struggle we all waited anxiously alongside to see how big the fish was, we caught a glimpse of silver that looked like a door coming to the surface and it wasn't long before a 60kg doggie was lying on the deck...it didn't end there we decided to go and give the sailfish another try and a little bit of prior preparation ensured that I was ready for them this time, we set out a hookless teaser and I was lucky enough to net a few garfish off the back of the mother ship the previous night we had been going for about an hour and it happened the black shadow of a sail appeared behind the teaser and I quickly got the guys to drop their baits rigged with circle hooks back to the fired up fish, moments later we had the fish by the bill and after some more camera work the fish was set free. The rest of our day continued in a similar fashion with fish being caught on a regular basis we managed to raise another 2 sailfish but they were not really too interested in our offerings, with the weather still on our side I'm looking forward to getting out again tomorrow.

Saltaire - well today was similar to yesterday, we were still searching for that sailfish. We had a much similar lure pattern as yesterday although we had more skipping garfish out with one lure and a teaser. We managed to raise a nice little sailfish of around the 25kg mark that took a skipping garfish. We fought the little guy for about 10 minutes and after it put on a great performance for us we slid him in the boat for a quick photo and released still nice and green. We caught him on a nice light outfit (Stella 8000 with a light G.loomis spin rod) which was perfect for the job. After we caught the saily we decided to finish the day of with a jig catching doggies, red bass, long nose emperors, Mac tuna and plenty of other species that kept us busy for the remainder of the day..

Peter: Today we started off on the search for a doggie but got side tracked by mass schools of yellowfin on the way. We had hook ups on 18- 22kg yellowfin for the majority of the morning which made things quite entertaining. In between the yellowfin were Wahoo and we hooked up to a dogtooth on the edge that absolutely destroyed us in 80m of water straight down into the reef. This beast of a thing was absolutely unstoppable and sometimes there's not much else you can do but laugh it off and think my goodness how big were you. 20 mins later there was another attack on a mac tuna that we were bringing next to the boat, as a 65kg doggie decided he wanted it for breaky. Unfortunately we didn't hook up to it but it was impressive to see.
After lunch we went for a quick pop for a GT and managed to get 1 on an isolated bommie around the 22kg mark and we also raised 3 separate doggies on poppers, one that was around the 40kg range but we never managed to connect on all 3 occasions, which was frustrating but also had all of our hearts pumping a bit faster. All in all it was a great days fishing with not a dull moment.