Evan Gluck

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Magical Maldives!
July 12, 2011, 03:17:26 AM
Nice report and pics Nick!  What a place!

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 12, 2011, 12:10:08 PM
Hi Evan, It is an awesome place and really good for your KGS!!

Hi Cambear - I thought we agreed what happened on tour stayed on tour..................

Cheers,
Nick

Mario Benedict

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 13, 2011, 10:50:34 AM
Excellent report... Love the action photos of the KGS and what it's capable of :-) One of my favorite rods !

Aaron Concord

July 15, 2011, 08:40:38 PM
Nick,

Excellent report and images!

Just a question, I have noticed in your report images plus many others on the Maldives and the weather is fantastic.  The water is dead flat in most photos.
Is this the normal weather that can be expected when going to the Maldives??
All of the popping and jigging spots I have fished here on the East coast of Queensland tend to be pretty lumpy most days.
Actually, I have noticed that many of the better large fish spots have the roughest waves and heavy current right where your popper needs to be.
If it is flat/calm, the local fish are more hesitant to move from mid-water until a bit of wave action occurs again.
Perhaps that is another reason for the smaller average GT size.........big fish need more cover to hunt effectively in and 30-40kg of GT are going to stick out like a sore thumb in flat, clear water.............just a theory..........

Having said that, I think a lot of anglers can get caught up in looking for the places that ONLY have big GTs.  There is a lot of fun to be had with the smaller fish on light tackle, along with the other critters that call the coral reefs home.
The upside of smaller GT's on light tackle is that you can enjoy more hookups and fights without needing to pass out after one big fish.......they are easier on the body and just as fun.

Cheers

Aaron.

jonathan_tan

July 28, 2011, 05:44:58 PM
Awesome report!!  :)

I have been there 3 times and always think of going back there again.
Its something about the atolls, gin clear water, good fishing and value for money plus good service.
AND the lack of mobile reception!! No bosses and no wife for a week!  ;D
Thanks for reviving the memories.

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 28, 2011, 09:37:13 PM
Hi Aaron, The Maldives is amazing all round! Fishing, scenery, calm weather, blue skies etc etc! Basically fishing in paradise, but you can never have everything and one con with Maldives is that there are not many big GTs, this said our second last trip we caught 40kg+ GTs. But you don;t go to Maldives for big GTs you go for quantity, variety and to relax. This is an excellent place to break into popping and also to test products, set ups etc. With the calm seas the fish are definitely are lot wearier and I have seen with my own eyes when I cast in a big 200gr stickbait at about a 25kg GT, the GT got such a fright he screamed off in the opposite direction without even looking at the lure. Normally in Oman the GT would hammer the lure like he had something to prove!

I think the good point with Maldives is that all the fish move on and off the flats to feed and will still come into shallow water. I've seen 40kgs+ GTs in Seychelles with their backs out the water it is so shallow chasing baitfish. But I think you're right generally you have more of a chance with deep, rough, strong currents water for big GTs. We are lucky to have the big GTs on our doorstep so it is always a treat to fish Maldives with the calm water and sheer beauty! Variety is always something that I think we as humans crave, a case of the sea is always bluer and fish bigger on the other side!

Hi Jonathan, 100% correct, just re-reading the report brings the memories flooding back! Think that will be my task for tomorrow get the next Maldives trip sorted out! Always have to have a trip to plan to keep alive!!

Cheers,
Nick

Daniel Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 01, 2011, 11:08:12 PM
FantaStic report and awesome pics mate!