Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
80lb braids
October 02, 2007, 08:41:34 PM
Just read with intersest a link from this site to Sport Fishing mag where they test various braids.
Based on its test of 50lb braids I'm keen on looking at Cortland Spectron (broke at 167% of stated), Spiderwire Stealth (132%), PowerPro Superline (130%), Tufline (127%) and Tufline XP (116%), because they tested so much higher than stated.

I need 80lb - some for my Saltiga Ishidai Z40 jig reel and the rest for my casting reels (Surf 4500/Blast 4500). I know that you guys rate Tufline XP highly, but from the test there are alot of lines that test much higher that I'd be intersested in (including standard TufLine) if they are cost effective. I like to know that my line tests alot higher so that I have total faith in my knots.

Anyone rate any of these lines for casting or are some of them disastrously bad for windknots? Anyone know where PRT Fins fits in (50lb) to tests like that- its just that I have alot of it at the moment!

thanks
Sam

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: 80lb braids
October 02, 2007, 10:17:12 PM
Sam - I'm not sure I understand the desire to get braid which you know breaks well above its stated breaking strain. If you want this, aren't you better off buying 100lb or 130lb if you want to use 80lb? I personally much prefer the ratings to be accurate. The simple reality is that if Cortland is breaking at 167%, then it is probably the diameter of the 130lb braid made by another manufacturer who labels their breaking strain more accurately.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 02, 2007, 10:24:14 PM
Hi Sam,

It's not only breaking strain that one needs to take in to account. There are numerous other factors such as diameter, abrasion resistance, number of weaves/profile, castability, ability to cope with shock load etc.

Many of the products you mention i would really not poke a stick at (saying this at the risk/possiblity that one of the lines you mention being the exact same product as one I endorse!).

Tried & Tested: 1. Tuf Line XP 2. Power Pro 3. Don't care about there rest - all out of contention in my opinion.

Hal Harvey

October 02, 2007, 11:07:33 PM
Most of those 'line tests' are rubbish Sam. Think about it - if your 50lb FINS was labelled 30lb, would it be 30lb that breaks at 167%? - or would it be 50lb?

Tuf XP and FINS are both consistent and reliable. In 80lb, XP is better, but Japanese braids are better again (real Japanese braids, not dodgy Chinese ones with Japanese-sounding names).

The reels you're talking about aren't real big, so if you needed a bit of capacity you would do well to go to one of the premium Japanese lines in PE6 like Varivas 10x10, YGK Ultra Jigman or Ultra Castman, or TD Sensor Hyper PE (and I suspect at heart all of those lines are identical). In most braids PE6 is about 60lb, but in those ones the same diameter will give you about 80lb.

You might also want to consider getting a 6000-size spool for your Surf 4500. That will give you a lot more capacity, with no downside.

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 03, 2007, 07:11:45 AM
yeah, just wanted best possible line capacity for a given breaking strain and the piece of mind of knowing that after tying  a bimini or FG that my knots hadn't diminished line breaking strain much below stated. Tuf Line XP it is then!  Can't seem to find 80lb in spools greater than 300y. Does anyone know if they do 1000y spools or something like that?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 03, 2007, 08:00:28 AM
TF XP is available in anything from small spools to ones that can go around the earth!

if you're looking for the finest braid around, it's pretty hard going past Varivas GT - and these days, they have the GT SMP. Their PE8 is 120lb breaking strain. It's great line but bloody hell, the price has to be seen to be believed.  :o
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 13, 2007, 05:28:06 PM
Hi Sam. Try Power Pro 80lb. Have been using this for three years now on all my reels and have found it to be a better performer than Fins and Tuf Line XP. Another one you can try although I do not know if it is available in Australia is made by an American brand called Izorline. It is a bit pricier than Power Pro but a top line.