Lazaros Tsenesidis

ASSIST HOOKS
February 18, 2011, 06:21:57 PM
Hi guys

I need some advice, when it come to select the correct hook size for a jig.

1) what should be the length of the assist hook compering to the length of the jig?
2) what should be the width of the hook compering to the width of the jig?
3) what type of hooks i should use?
4) makers and models of assist hooks you think are good?

I used numbering in order to make it more easy

I think it is a interesting topic that will help all of us to learn something new and useful

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ASSIST HOOKS
February 18, 2011, 07:15:44 PM
Lazaros

There are not really any right or wrong answers to those questions, only points of view. I will give mine!

1. As a very broad rule of thumb, one third of the length of the jig. For very long jigs though, less than that. Usually about one third of the length mean the hook point will be somewhere close to behind the eye - that's good as many predator fish strike in that area.

2. The width of the hook should preferably be wider than the width of the jig. 

3. The perceived wisdom is that short shanked hooks are usually those that work best for jigging.  Again though that is only a guideline.  Personally I have a lot of success working with a very long shanked hook (Owner Jobu), but that is not typical of the hook types used for jigging. 

4. I would urge you to learn to tie your own assist rigs (it is VERY easy) and not buy the made up assist hooks. This will save you money, give you a greater sense of achievement, and allows you to determine exactly how you want to present your hook. I make mine with kevlar assist line (usually Varivas Assist in the 260 lb size), a tube of super glue and some heat shrink. There is a very well written beginner's guide to jigging which includes how to tie the assists, here: http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f68/intro-jigging-gman-reference-beginers-4449/

Leaving aside my peculiar taste in Owner Jobus for jigging :),  my favourite heavy jigging hooks are Owner SJ41 and Owner SJ51 in the largest sizes. Sadly, it seems Owner have discontinued the SJ41 in size 13/0 but you can still find them around. I also sometimes use Owner Gorilla in the large sizes.
Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 07:23:53 PM by Mark Harris

Lazaros Tsenesidis

February 18, 2011, 07:54:36 PM
You reply makes me happy but more questions are coming in my head now.

1) Sorry but my english is not perfect so i need you to explain "short shanked hooks"
2) You mentioned owner sj41/51 hooks what numbers-size do you use for slim size jig (when i say slim i mean 2-3 cm width)

Thanks for the help mate i am in the process of making my own hooks that is why i am asking all these questions.

Jamie Moir

February 18, 2011, 08:02:45 PM
  • I've seen people use, and get hookups with assists as short as maybe 5-6cm to the bottom of the gape on jigs like 200g sidethrusters.
  • Wider than the widest part of the jig, but adding those little octopus skirts seems to help prevent fouling with small jigs too.
  • I seems to be using Smith and Owners ATM, bit off decoy after straightening one recently.
  • Assists are pretty easy to tie, try this guide A constructive post - tying assist hooks. I really must buy some of that solid cord that everyone seems to sell in singapore for the little stuff.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 18, 2011, 08:22:04 PM
I would recommend the doubled cord method of tying assists (as in Gman's tutorial which I linked) and not the single cord method in the link that Jamie posted. Apart from anything else there is only one knot involved rather than 2.  Also that guy is tying the assist to a split ring -  definitely not recommended for reasons of abrasion IMO.
Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 08:37:43 PM by Mark Harris

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 18, 2011, 08:35:52 PM
You reply makes me happy but more questions are coming in my head now.

1) Sorry but my english is not perfect so i need you to explain "short shanked hooks"
2) You mentioned owner sj41/51 hooks what numbers-size do you use for slim size jig (when i say slim i mean 2-3 cm width)

Thanks for the help mate i am in the process of making my own hooks that is why i am asking all these questions.

Short shanked hooks are the compact type with not too much (it is very hard to explain without using the word shank.. LOL!) "distance" between the eye and the base of the hook. If you look at an Owner SJ41 (short shank) and Owner Jobu (long shank) you will see what I mean I think.

Owner SJ41

Owner Jobu

On size, it depends on what species you are targeting, but I tend to go big. For jigging of "normal" deep reef species like Amberjack, GT, Dogtooth, big snappers etc I would use for example SJ41 in size 13/0 or 9/0 and SJ51 in 11/0 or 9/0 with a regular shaped 400 to 600 gram jig.  Obviously much smaller jigs should be rigged with smaller hooks as you will tend to be targeting smaller fish in gentler current conditions.

Here is a pic of one of my rigged jigs, 400 gram centre-weighted type with a SJ41 13/0 on a double 260lb kevlar cord.

Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 08:49:09 PM by Mark Harris

Jamie Moir

February 18, 2011, 10:13:37 PM
I would recommend the doubled cord method of tying assists (as in Gman's tutorial which I linked) and not the single cord method in the link that Jamie posted. Apart from anything else there is only one knot involved rather than 2.  Also that guy is tying the assist to a split ring -  definitely not recommended for reasons of abrasion IMO.

"That Guy" is also this forum's Kasey Leong and I'm sure its only for demonstration purposes as you can see all assists shown in the first image are tied to solid hooks.

I also use the double method, and its pretty foolproof, but I think that the method shown is probably better for the solid braid for light jigging.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 18, 2011, 11:13:26 PM

"That Guy" is also this forum's Kasey Leong and I'm sure its only for demonstration purposes as you can see all assists shown in the first image are tied to solid hooks.

I also use the double method, and its pretty foolproof, but I think that the method shown is probably better for the solid braid for light jigging.

Oh my  :-[. How embarrassing :0. I know Kasey personally. Whoops.  Sorry Kasey. 

I am though sure some folks will look at that and think the demo is saying the right thing to do is to tie the assist to a split ring.  I did not notice the others at first glance. Reading the whole thread through, I see that Kasey did explain that you should not tie to a split ring!

I am not sure what you mean by solid braid for light jigging? PE cord maybe?  When I light jig, I still use doubled kevlar looped through the solid ring, just in a much smaller size.

As I said in the first post, there are no definitive correct answers to any of this, just opinions :) .

Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:22:33 PM by Mark Harris

Lazaros Tsenesidis

February 18, 2011, 11:22:58 PM
First of all i want to thank both of you for your help

One could argue about single or double cord, single less strength and also 2 knots are always loss of strength. On the other hand single cord is less visible assist hook that can trick the fish easier?

I am using the way as the one Mark has shown in his post. My mistake i thing is related with the size of the hook.

I need to say that i am mostly using small size jigs 60-130gr and specially from shore as i am doing mostly shore jigging, the technique is not so different from vertical just the size of fish is smaller.   :-[

So up to now i have been using owner sj 41/51 No 2 and 3 but i see they are too small since the open part of the hook is not bigger than the width of the jig.

I saw in your photos Mark that you use a swivel and a solid ring that i have not seen before double loop solid ring, can i ask why swivel? And also what is this solid ring (model/maker)?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 18, 2011, 11:30:51 PM
Those figure of 8 solid rings are from Taiwan. I know Jigging Master make one but I think this is a different brand. I buy them from Kaiser in Singapore. See: http://kaiser-pro-shop.blogspot.com/2010/06/new-arrivals-for-june-2010.html

I always use swivels as I jig with a spinning set up.  The line twists can get fairly horrible without a swivel. The one pictured is a NT Power Swivel size 3/0.

Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:03:12 AM by Mark Harris

Jamie Moir

February 18, 2011, 11:33:46 PM
Oh my  :-[. How embarrassing :0. I know Kasey personally. Whoops.  Sorry Kasey. 

Its ok, Kasey only fishes freshwater these days *giggle*

I am not sure what you mean by solid braid for light jigging? PE cord maybe?  When I light jig, I still use doubled kevlar looped through the solid ring, just in a much smaller size.

As I said in the first post, there are no definitive correct answers to any of this, just opinions :) .

I'm not really sure what it was, its the only thing Ive found that will go thru the small damn eyes on the shout light jiggers. Will try and work it out.

Speaking of opinion, here is some more, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4 & Part 5

So up to now i have been using owner sj 41/51 No 2 and 3 but i see they are too small since the open part of the hook is not bigger than the width of the jig.

I think thats where the octopus skirt things come in handy, Shout! also has a product for the same job, looks like a sticker to place on the shank?
Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:06:11 AM by Jamie Moir

Lazaros Tsenesidis

February 18, 2011, 11:50:07 PM
Jamie that is  a work of art i can say it look really nice.
Whats the name of that tool??
I wonder if i can find this is Korea, mostly i wonder how am i going to ask for it xixixi

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 19, 2011, 12:18:20 AM
It's a splicing needle.  Lovely work by that fella I must say.

Splicing gives you a great feeling of satisfaction when you make a good job of it. But it's fiddly and can take ages to get right. Time might be better spent on other things :).
Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:26:50 AM by Mark Harris

Jamie Moir

February 19, 2011, 01:14:56 AM
Here is one; YGK Etuki Needle for assist cord. I'm sure the sponsors would have something similar, although perhaps not on their websites.

You can make some very spiffy looking assist hooks, but seeinga s fish just eat them, I went back to knots ;)

Solid assist cord ... closest I can see on the usual sites is zylon x, but thats not the brand I'm thinking of.