Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I have been looking into rods and reels over the last month to take on my upcoming Bali trip and seem to have narrowed down my choice to a PE8 popping / stickbait combo of the following:

Ripple Fisher - GT79 Reversal if I can find one,
Shimano Stella 10000 with a SOM 16000 spool upgrade spooled with Avani GT Max PE8

I beleive the capacity of this spool to be around the 260m mark and wanted to know if this would be enough line to cover a monster fish iof I was lucky enough to hook one.

I also just wanted general opinions on the combo from anyone who has used either the rod, reel or both together. I am quite a large lad (130kg) and am quite strong but my overall stamina probably isn't the best. Should I be looking for something a little easier on the angler or would this combo be OK?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Ben, that's an excellent combo.

The 79R is a superb all round GT popping rod and pairs nicely with a SW10000 with SOM NL 16000 spool. I don't think you will get 260 metres PE8 on that spool though without over-filling it.  I fill mine with about 230 metres. That is more than enough for GT fishing.

You might also want to look at a Stella SW18000. More reel for less money than a 10000 + upgraded spool.

The 79R is an easy rod on the body given its rating, and I do not think you will have issues on that front.
Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:56:05 AM by Mark Harris

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Also, if anyone knows where I can get a Ripple Fisher - GT79 Reversal before mid April that would be a great help. Australia seems to be out of them until May.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
It's a nice combination but if you're looking at a 79R, I'm with Mark - I think you should consider an 18000 instead. I'd regard this combination as a "heavy" PE8 outfit. If you were looking at a more mid-weight PE8 outfit, you'd look at a combination like a Coral Viper CV79 RF40 with an 10000 and SOM NL 16000 spool. The former combination does offer you the flexibility of moving up to EP10 with the same rod and reel.

It does come down to what weight and type of lures you are looking to be fishing with.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
If you were looking at a more mid-weight PE8 outfit, you'd look at a combination like a Coral Viper CV79 RF40 with an 10000 and SOM NL 16000 spool.

I beleive I would have the same problem tracking one of those down as I am currently having with the Ripple Fisher! I will look into it, thanks for the advice.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
definitely the case with a Coral Viper. Unfortunately it leaves you a bit short of options.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
As much as I love CV79/40, not sure it is the ideal all round GT rod as a first purchase? Possibly a bit lightweight for medium/large chuggers?  Mine seems to handle Craftbait GT3 150s OK but that felt like the limit to me.
Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:08:04 PM by Mark Harris

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
As much as I love CV79/40, not sure it is the ideal all round GT rod as a first purchase? Possibly a bit lightweight for medium/large chuggers?  Mine seems to handle Craftbait GT3 150s OK but that felt like the limit to me.

Hi Mark ,

CV79/40RF SHP is a stickbait rod which can still accomodate medium sized chugger , for chugger rod you should consider MH ( Moster Hunter )  models which is replacing SP ( Super Popping ) models from Carpenter rods selection .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Totally agreed Jon and I want a Monster Hunter as you know.

Sacco Gerard

• Red Bass
  • Liked:

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Sacco, as recently as Saturday I was fishing a Cubera 150 and Craftbait GT3 150 with a Coral Viper.  No real problem but that might be the sensible limit for this rod.

I would regard those as medium-sized chuggers but cannot speak for Jon :).

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:

Hi Gege ,

I would rate Cubera 125 and Cubera 150 as still " medium " sized chuggers and Cubera 180 as large sized chugger , however some other lures which may only weigh 150 gr. but the body size may be larger , dimensions wise , than Cubera 180 should be rate as " large " sized chugger too .

Casting weight wise , CV79/40RF SHP is rated at 200 gr. , one should take into consideration of the weight of the hooks n splitring in this case and it's easy to exceed this max. casting weight when one uses ST76 , GT Recorder or large Decoy trebles and #11 Owner Hyperwire splitring so it is no surprise a bare 150 gr. chugger is felt as maximum for CV79/40RF SHP because a pair of big trebles can weigh as much as 40 gr. .

Method of casting also play part in casting these heavy lures a the required distance , an advanced caster will know what to do in such situation .

Jon . 

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Chris Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
How about the El Toro 150? Should be a nice rod. If you can find the older Bali special, might be a good choice for stickbaits thou.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
How about the El Toro 150? Should be a nice rod. If you can find the older Bali special, might be a good choice for stickbaits thou.

Nobody who buys that rod will regret it. Fantastic value. Despite its name, handles quite big chuggers (eg Cubera 180) without issue and ideally suited for 120 to 160 gram range I think. Very nice casting rod as well. And you would have quite a lot of money left over to buy other things :).