Lenny Lim

• Fusilier
  • Let's do it !
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Guys, I am in a dilemma. Need to choose a suitable combination for some power jigging (jigs approx. 300 ~ 500gm). Targetting doggies.

First combination = Stella SW20000 with Carpenter OH 55XH-S

or

2nd combination = Jigging Master (53B-H) with Jigging Master Power Spell Reel PE8

Which is a better gear ?  :-\

Cheers.

Jamie Moir

How about a Synit Deep Shot 550? Thats a mean beast and pretty sure KPS had some pics of them knocking off a few dogtooth.

You could buy spin or oh or maybe a big accurate, som l120 or ocea jigger 5000p?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Lenny, it is always a difficult question when someone asks a question like "which is better?"
The issue is "better for what?" Gear is the is great for one person could be completely useless in the hands of another. In this case, you're not even comparing like with like with a spinning outfit versus an overhead outfit. Maybe if you got a bit more specific, some of the members might be able to give you some good advice but as the question currently stands, I doubt you're going to get anything useful.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Lenny, I have no idea how strong and fit you are, but there are few folks around who are capable of using a Carpenter OH 55XH-S for any extended period.  I couldn't and it is the only Carpenter rod I have ever sold! I also witnessed it put a friend of mine on his back after one day's use and he is a mighty strong and experienced jigger.  Undoubtedly an amazing rod for for lifting monsters but super heavy on the body. Also, you mention 300 gram jigs - this is the certainly the wrong rod for jigs that light.

The other issue with OH55XH-S is finding one. I manage to sell mine in less than 24 hours of putting the word out as finding a new one was very hard.

If you want a spinning set up for targeting Doggies, I would suggest something a little easier on the body and better at impacting action on the jigs. My arsenal for such fishing with 400 to 600 gram jigs in strong currents is a Synit Venom 550 FT and a Smith Nirai. You could pair either with a Stella SW20000.

Your question indicates that you are considering between a spinning set up and an overhead set up.  Only you can make that decision - there is no right or wrong between the two. Personally I do not like the JM blank action, but that's just my opinion - plenty of others do and it is a popular rod with large mass market appeal.

I do agree with Brandon that some more specifics will help in getting a useful answer.  Where are you fishing for example? Targeting what else apart from Doggies? What line weight?
Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:14:07 PM by Mark Harris

Lenny Lim

• Fusilier
  • Let's do it !
  • Liked:
Thanks, Jaime, Mark & Brandon.  :D

I have always been a spinning guy as it is so easy to use. My usual spots of jigging are in Rottnest / Shark Bay usually for samsons or snappers. So, I the current gear of jigrex S526 with stella 10K (with 16K spool) is more than enough to use.

But we are planning to fish in Sumba (April) and Alor (in Nov) for doggies or whatever we can find in East Indonesia.  8)

So, I am getting another set of heavier gear for the adventure. There is one Carpenter OH (spinning) available now brand new. But I was thinking before I jump into buying it, I wanted to get some opinions from the forum to see whether,
1) This is a good set-up for doggies (OH XS & Stella 20K)
2) or go for a baitcasting set (either JM or Accurate)

Happy Sunday !

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I don't know of too many jigging spots in Sumba....?

As for the Doggies at Pulau Kambing in Alor - good luck :). I am not sure anything can stop the really big ones there in those formula 1 speed currents. I tried, even with the OH100 XHS, and failed (breaking my S526 along the way). A lot of adrenalin pumping fun though.  One tip - jig at night there. You mentioned 300-500 gram jigs - forget that at Pulau Kambing. 500 absolute minimum and 700-800 could easily be required to get any sort of drop.

No doubt that an OH100 XHS with a SW20000 is a good pairing.  I guess the only other reel worthy of the grunt of this rod would be an Expedition. Whether it is the right solution depends a lot on you Lenny as per my previous remarks. I would urge you to think carefully before buying what is a very tough rod to use properly for any extended period.

Eric Tai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I think an important question is whether you are more comfortable jigging with an overhead or spinning setup. Have you had much practice jigging for large sambos using an overhead outfit?

If not perhaps you should head out with Al Bevan and have a go before you make your decision.
Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 04:15:41 PM by Eric Tai

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Lenny, IMHO, there is a bit of a fallacy out there with doggies and that is you need go up in gear to maximum power.  No angler I know is capable of holding onto a very heavy outfit on very heavy drag against a huge doggie that is determined to go in one direction and prevail. With big doggies, we tend to land the stupid ones only. By no means am I denigrating some of the captures of really big doggies but the reality is that if you hook a really big doggie in deep water and it decides it is going in one direction and one direction only, it's a goner. The only ones we land are ones that swim all over the place in every direction.

I've found in the past that there is but a marginal difference whether I am fishing PE6 or 8 or even PE10. The fish is going to swim wherever it wants to. If anything, really pulling hard on them seems to send them berserk and then they fight crazy hard, literally running themselves to their deaths. The trade-off then is whether you're better off with more line to allow the fish to swim all over the place or the addtional pressure you can apply with heavier braid. I can tell you that going heavier on doggies didn't work for me - at all. About the time I stopped fishing for doggies, I was thinking of going the other way and that was back to PE6 and playing it softly, softly with them. Incidentally, I got an OH55 specifically to dish out some punishment on big doggies. I sure taught some samsons a lesson with that rod but the only thing that rod achieved with any decent sized doggie was I started crying for my mummy a lot earlier than I did with my Nirai or Fremantle.

As for overhead or spinning, only you can make that decision. The best jiggers I have seen like Yoichi Mogi, Dave Irving or even Tak Otsuka locally all tend to use overheads for some reason. I'm too damn uncoordinated myself.  :'(  I think Eric's idea is a good one - head out for a charter with Al and try out what it is like.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
............ I got an OH55 specifically to dish out some punishment on big doggies. I sure taught some samsons a lesson with that rod but the only thing that rod achieved with any decent sized doggie was I started crying for my mummy a lot earlier than I did with my Nirai or Fremantle.

I know that feeling Brandon  :(.

On spinning v overhead it is a personal preference thing I think. There is no doubt in my mind that mechanical jigging with a spinning set up requires less co-ordination so it is easier in that sense. On the other hand, lifting a big fish and jigging big weights for long periods is probably easier with an overhead.  Whichever way, I think you get used to it.
Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 06:36:35 PM by Mark Harris

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Not an expert in jigging but these 2 rods have completely different actions , JM will bend from the handle while Carpenter start at mid point , the choise is up to each individual angler .

As far as Carpenter rods are concerned , OH55XH-S and OH52XH-B will perform better for fast moving current areas such as Bali , Alor , etc. while in slow moving current , OH55XH-S will feel like a broom stick and OH56MH-S or OH54MH-B are a better choise . I sell most of OH55XH-S or OH52XH-B to Bali anglers and they are mostly young angler upgrading from other brands .

Carpenter jigging rods are definitely " deep jigging " rods , should one jig in relatively shallow water less than 80 m , check MC Works Northern Blue models which in my opinion is a better choise of rods .

Jon .

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .