Dan Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jigging Setup for Panama
March 02, 2011, 10:23:22 AM
I'm thinking about getting an overhead jigging setup for Panama.  I would probably be fishing in the PE 5-6 range in relatively shallow water for cubera snapper, amberjack, and whatever else bites.  In general I would like the lightest and least fatiguing rod possible that still has the backbone to reel in fish in the 30-60lb range.  What are people's suggestions?  Thanks for your opinions.

Dan Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Jigging Setup for Panama
March 02, 2011, 10:33:10 AM
Oh, and if this affects anyone's opinion I'm 6' tall and weigh 72kg and in decent shape.

Lee Margrave

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 02, 2011, 01:14:41 PM
Hello Dan,  I fish Panama every year for all those fish,  Where in Panama are you going and who are you fishing with?  Looks like that Rooster is from Mexico or Panama. What exactly do you mean by overhead? The size 4-6 PE is about right unless you get into the tuna. There  is a lot of structure if you try for the cubera on the bottom , you might want to think about 8PE to keep them out of the rocks.  I pop for the cubbera,jacks, and roosters,  sometimes we will throw a bait to the bottom or jig the bottom.  Hope this is helpfull.  Going back to David in December couldn't make my March trip with my mates,  too much work .      Regards....................Lee

Dan Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 03, 2011, 07:29:21 AM
I will almost certainly go with Pesca Panama.  I may also do a trip with Tropic Star down south.  I've fished Panama three times in the past, but always in the Cebaco Island area south of Montuosa.  In that area I almost never got broken off fishing jigs on the bottom with 65lb braid.  Got some Cubera up to 70lbs but all the big ones over 35lbs were on live bait.  Did get a 40lb Broomtail Grouper and a 35lb Cubera on Salas jigs bounced off the bottom.

I would like to hear your experiences and where you have fished down there.

When I say "overhead" I mean conventional as opposed to spinning reels.  That seems to be the lingo on this board.

Dan Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 03, 2011, 07:30:26 AM
The rooster in my pic is from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.  That has the best roosterfishing I have ever seen or read about if you hit it right.