Fabio Ward

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Travel Insurance
March 09, 2011, 08:27:42 PM
Hey guys, got a trip planned to Fiji next week and am organising some travel insurance. Was hoping you guys might be able to recommend someone good to go through. I called a few places today and the prices were reasonable but they didn't cover fishing gear under "luggage/personal effects", to list specific gear with values put the price up a fair bit. Just wondering what's the best option for insurance? Any info would be appreciated.

Fab

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: Travel Insurance
March 09, 2011, 08:58:17 PM
Hey mate

I went through travelinsurancedirect.com.au for a trip to the Montes.

They have a limit on sporting gear (or luggage for any kind of that matter) where the gear is a "set". I think the limit was a grand or something.

So if you had a set of golf clubs, limit would be $1k. However, I spoke to 3 people there (lastly a manager of some description) and they assured me that all your fishing gear together is not counted as a "set". So I asked if say I got two rods stolen would they both be covered up to the $1k limit, she said yes so long as they are not designed to be used together, which obviously they arent.

Can see some interesting arguments concerning rods and reels together though. Arguably any number of reels could be designed for use with one particular rod, but guess there will always be grey areas.

By the way they did not say that I had to seperately list items, however I photographed every piece of my kit before the trip just in case there were any arguments as to what I did/did not have with me.

Dan

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 09, 2011, 09:45:22 PM
GTPopping has a special arrangement with Chartis (formerly AIG).

http://chartistravelinsurance.com.au/gtpopping/default.aspx
If it swims; I want to catch it!

mark kyriacou

March 09, 2011, 10:12:06 PM
this website is awesome im heading on this trip with fabio and we have been pulling our hair out with all the rods and reels ect. i have learnt so much for this trip (as it is the first one for us) from this website and now this amazing :) :)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 09, 2011, 10:29:12 PM
I've put in two claims with Chartis (AIG) in the past three years and they've been paid, no questions asked. I have always ensured that I have full documentation including a letter from the charter operator for the trip cancellation. It's great having this surety because it is already depressing enough having a trip cancelled at the last moment. I never go on a trip without being fully insured these days.

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 09, 2011, 10:32:04 PM

Does this special agreement cover rods, reels and tackle seperatly to luggage items?

Fabio Ward

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 09, 2011, 10:41:43 PM
Thanks Dan and Brandon. I had a brief look at both of those earlier today, will look into them a bit more tomorrow.

Does this special agreement cover rods, reels and tackle seperatly to luggage items?
Im interested to know this as well, i'm not so much worried about the actual cost of the trip but more the value of the gear.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 09, 2011, 11:08:54 PM
this website is awesome im heading on this trip with fabio and we have been pulling our hair out with all the rods and reels ect. i have learnt so much for this trip (as it is the first one for us) from this website and now this amazing :) :)

That's great to hear Mark.  This forum is certainly truly top notch.  The wealth of experience here and the willingness of the membership  to share that is just brilliant.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 10, 2011, 06:24:28 AM
Ben/Fabio, once you get to equipment, it starts to get much more complicated. You get coverage to a certain level (I can't remember what it is) but if you want full coverage for all your gear, you need to top up for that purpose and the cost of the insurance goes up exponentially. For me, I am primarily seeking to insure the cost of the charter, travel and ancillary accommodation. In the case of a Nomad charter, this is easily $7,500 to $8000 all up.

Generally, you're looking to insure against theft. Carrying your reels with you as hand luggage reduces that exposure.
You can't get insurance for being a hetadesu (being incompetent) and breaking your rod from high sticking!  ;D

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 10, 2011, 07:19:07 PM
Also check your house insurance cover - I have claimed for around $5000 AUS on my home cover (Direct Line in the UK) for lost and damaged rods and gear coming back from the Seychelles - covers each item to around $1600 AUS - doesn't help with the trip cancellation etc but covers accidental damage!

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 10, 2011, 07:24:59 PM

You can't get insurance for being a hetadesu (being incompetent) and breaking your rod from high sticking!  ;D

HETADESU!

I have learnt a useful new term. Have you been watching my favourite scene from that DVD?
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 10, 2011, 10:45:37 PM
no, it is too painful to watch  :'(