• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
i hope this link will help you

http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=2997.0
Thanks! But this is the review by Brandon I referred to in my posting above. Maybe I should have made this more clear.

Possible alternatives to EP88 could be EP85 and EP82 (also mentioned by Brandon), but since there are no fixed dates for release, I assume that it would take some time before we see these rods for sale.
Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:39:03 PM by Dan Wulf

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Dan, like most I cannot give any opinion on the Endless Passions as I have never held one :( .

I do have a (recently acquired) CV79/40 though and this is currently my favourite GT rod bar none. I absolutely love using it.  It casts like a dream and works my favourite surface stickbaits in 140 and 160 gram weights better than any other rod I have used.  I have not caught a monster with it yet but managed a very feisty 32-33 kg fish with ease. I was very surprised by the amount of power this rod has down low given its light weight. That Malcolm Crane recently caught a 65 kg GT with CV79/40 says more than I ever could. Like you, I also have a RF 79R and going out with that rod plus a 79/40 would be a great combination.

The CV79/40 also works small medium chuggers very nicely.  I have used it with smaller Heru Cubera 125 and Adhek Venus 125, and up to Craftbait GT3 150, and it handles all of those very nicely indeed. 

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

ed baduria

Hey,
I was also looking for the CV 79/40 SHP. Someone on the buy and sell offered a slightly used one for $1000 AUD. I turned him down, since I managed to acquire a brand new one for my trip to  Southern Oman. There won't be any new CV's made till the end of June. Good Luck

ED

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
Dan

I own a CV 79/40 and reckon its a great stickbait rod, this rod replaced my Long Reef 88 for lighter popping and stickbait work.  Whilst the 88 is a fantastic effortless long caster and did a reasonable job of working mid sized poppers, I found the length a little difficult for working stickbaits - particularly those where a subtle slow moving surface action is desirable.  I say this for 2 reasons;

1) - Due to the shear length of the rod, any movement at the grip end is magnified ten fold at the tip, it can be hard to get into a rhythm using such short twitches, particularly if you are chopping and changing with shorter rods during the day.
2) - I like to work some stickbaits with the rod tip down and sweep it back towards me.  With a rod of this length it is very difficult unless you are high off the water (like on the bow of a larger game boat).  Held in this fashion, a long rod can also feel quite top heavy and place a fair degree of strain on your wrist over a long stickbaiting session.

Having said all that, if distance in the cast is your primary goal, go the longer rod!  Effortless casting into the next postcode.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I would only go with the EP if casting distance is your main priority, having said that, the CV really does cast like a dream.

I love my CV 79/40 and it works stickbaits in your range beautifully. I find it extremely difficult to put it down and use my other gear because it's just such a great rod to use.

Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I cant comment on the cv79 but i got a tbl80/30 and the ep88/35 and I would agree with the others and say go for the rod that's right for your conditions. I'm not a very experienced gt angler, but I do a lot of fishing landbased.  The real benefit of the longer rod for me is not only the casting but allowing you to properly work stickbaits from the higher platforms but as others have said if you're fishing on a small boat the longer rod might hinder your lure work.
Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 05:14:57 PM by Gavin Ng

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
The longer rods are meant for casting the longer distance than the shorter rods , EP88/35 is such a longer rods and can be used for landbased while CV79/40RF SHP is a stickbait/chugger rod for better control of fighting from a boat near the structures when one needs to apply pressure to turn the fish' head from burying into the reefs . TBL models are dedicated stickbait rod , one can use it for chugger works but the lures are limited smaller sized ones .

Backbone wise , CV79/40RF SHP is a stronger rod than EP88/35 which in turn still stronger than TBL80/30RF SHP .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
sorry, I'm in NZ at the moment!

Dan, for your purposes, I'd disregard the EP88. Look at rods like the TBL711/35 or TBL80/30 depending on whether you want PE6 or PE8. The Ripples are also excellent - The Ultimo range in PE6 and PE8 are beautiful rods. You also have the option of opting for the shorter rods (around 7'9") or the longer rods (around 8'3").

The Coral Viper is more an all purpose rod. If you want a rod specifically for stickbaits, then look at a Blue Lagoon or Ultimo. They will both be superior to the Coral Viper in terms of their ability to work surface stickbaits. The Coral Viper will be good if you're looking at Stickbaits in the 140 to 160g category but on light sticks like say 100g, the tip is just a bit too firm for those to be ideal.

The Endless Passion is a long casting rod that is very suitable for stickbaits but at 8'8", it is just that touch too long. if you are willing to wait for the 8'5" model, that would be more suitable.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Spot on.

I was just in NZ and I found my Coral Viper a little stiff to effectively work stickbaits around the 80-110g.

For future stickbait work I will be looking for a rod with a lighter tip.

Pete

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Instinctively that all feels right. Personally, I have not used a CV for any sticks lighter than 125 grams.  I think it is very much a GT rod and will not lend itself so well to smaller sticks targeting Tuna, Kingfish etc.
Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:00:18 PM by Mark Harris

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Spot on.

I was just in NZ and I found my Coral Viper a little stiff to effectively work stickbaits around the 80-110g.

For future stickbait work I will be looking for a rod with a lighter tip.

Pete

Hi Peter ,

For kingfish , BLC models are designed for it .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Cheers Jon,

I fished with both models of Blue Chaser over there....(Mark has both).

Very nice and yes..alot easier to work the sticks.

Pete