Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New? knot for single strand
March 23, 2011, 02:44:00 PM
So i'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to friction knots....PR knots need an expensive tool and from what i've seen can be fiddly.  FG knots seem better but when I tried I couldn't perfect it, and even when they did seem good they could come loose over time.  Not to mention recently when I did have a mate do the PR for me I seemed to suffer tip wrap fairly commonly when casting - something that pops up in discussions about friction knots a little bit it seems.  Stacks of people use them successfully but I struggle so I started looking for a new knot...

Anyway it's knot  ;)easy to come up with something new these days and someone has probably done this ages ago but it's new to me and I haven't seen it on here before so thought i'd post it up.

The knot is essentially a catspaw as done with braid to a twistie but in this case it's to single strand.

So we start with a simple bimini loop - straight forwards

I tried to make this so it was easy to tie on the boat.  Keeping the leader on the leader roll pull out  say 4 inch length and loop it back on itself and secure.  In this case i've used tape.  I like the idea of blob of blu-tack for this (it could also be used later...)

This part requires a bit of knowledge of the catspaw but essentially pass the bimini up through the loop you've created with the leader.  Now holding braid tight loop the leader around one leg of the bimini 6 times.  Make sure none of the loops fall off the end of the loop of trace and around the braid itself.  Sorry, that's a bad description and will confuse first timers but just look up instructions for the catspaw.

Holding both legs of the bimini loop evenly pull the knot tightto the tip of the trace loop.  Notice how it sits nicely along both legs of the trace and is not bunched - this is vital

This bit is nifty in that you just use the trace holder as a knot tightening grip...in this case i'm working directly off the reel but usually you'd have the braid wrapped around a gloved hand I suppose.

So you end up with a catspaw as you would with a twistie but in this case it's single strand with one long tag end. 

Next step is trim this tag end.  Do it on as flat an angle as you can achieve, this will help streamline the connection for casting.  I also like to hit the tag end with a lighter and roll it to smoothen and add a knob.  I didn't have a lighter in this case but below it is a knot that has been hit with the lighter and used to catch a few fish.  Oh yeah, this is where the blu-tack would come in handy again as you could mold it around the knot and just leave the tag end exposed which would protect the rest of the line/knot from accidental damage.

People like the friction knots as it is a low profile connection which means you don't have to double the leader.  In the picture knot 7 above that is 200lb leader and 100lb braid - I was casting it on a FCL Labo 81 Extream and can honestly say it was not noisy or an impariment to casting at all - I also never had a single case of tip wrap.  That knot landed three fish up to 111cm and was used over three days of fishing and still looked great.  For me it's quick to tie on the boat, doesn't require any tools and so far has no negative sides to it when casting.

I've attached an old sketch up of the twistie to braid catspaw connection which may help some people out who are new to that knot which this is based on.

Jamie Moir

Re: New? knot for single strand
March 23, 2011, 03:54:10 PM
Have you looked at the ted donelan leader connection? Uses much the same theory.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 23, 2011, 04:09:41 PM
Like I said, hard to come up with something new these days  ;D  Yeah same end result by the looks, hadn't seen it used for a GT connection though...i'm a fan.

http://www.fishnet.com.au/library/knotsrigs/tedsleaderconnection.html

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 23, 2011, 05:30:51 PM
Excellent work Trav. My only concern would be that perhaps because the line of pull on the catspaw is only being directed along one leg of the mono (the other leg having been trimmed to a tag), it might somehow slip under immense pressure?

Anyway, if you've done some serious trials in real-life angling, and can vouch for it's strength, then I may well have to do some practice/tests.  ;) Certainly looks a lot easier than the more commonly accepted knots for heavy single mono leaders.

Thanks

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 23, 2011, 05:33:23 PM
Like I said, hard to come up with something new these days  ;D  Yeah same end result by the looks, hadn't seen it used for a GT connection though...i'm a fan.

http://www.fishnet.com.au/library/knotsrigs/tedsleaderconnection.html

I like the look of that, has anyone tested it? Even my huge clumsy hands could handle that one!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 23, 2011, 07:14:57 PM
Thanks Angus. Yeah i had the same concerns initially but it held up, the melted knob on the tag end also adds some security to it being pulled through. Ben...have a read of the original post...same knot 3 days fishing, 3 gees to 111cm fork. By no means comprehensive but it came through sweet.

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 23, 2011, 07:39:47 PM
Sorry mate I was enquiring about the "Ted's" knot in the link.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 23, 2011, 07:53:02 PM
Yeah no worries, i think youll find thouhh the end result with what i did and the existing Teds is identical, i just wasnt aware it existed prior to posting