Steven Kakonyi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Yamaga 'Blue Reef'
March 25, 2011, 09:22:09 PM
Just wondering if anybody knows when the Yamaga 'Blue Reef' series is going to be released??

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Yamaga 'Blue Reef'
March 25, 2011, 09:33:02 PM
I'm pretty sure they've already been released. They're definately out in Japan, not too sure about elsewhere though. Check with Richard at Xpedition Tackles, he should be able to let you know more on their availability.
AKA: Sunny

Steven Kakonyi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 25, 2011, 10:11:27 PM
Thanks for the reply Chuen,
Just had a look on the Xpedition website but couldn't see anything so I'll send an email through to Richard.
Cheers, Steve

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 25, 2011, 10:12:43 PM
A friend has ordered one and is expecting delivery by the end of March - so should be imminent.

Paul Lee

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 08, 2011, 12:33:02 PM
Hi Steven,

The Yamaga Blue Reef line are now available at Richard's place.  According to Richard, the pricing will be a little more expensive as compared to the Atlas line, due to the raising Yen.  All in all, the rods looks really nice and and light.  Can't wait to test it out.  Cheers.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 09, 2011, 01:20:46 PM
Got some photos of the rod Paul?  Would be good to see.

If the Blue Reefs are only a bit more expensive than the old Atlas range, then good news.  These are very good value rods.

Steven Kakonyi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 11, 2011, 06:58:03 PM
Has anyone had a play with/ willing to give a review of, any of these yet in particular  GT 710/10??

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 12, 2011, 12:35:13 PM
Saltywater tackle has got the blue reefs pics n specs.

Paul Lee

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 12, 2011, 01:00:09 PM
Hi Steven,

I have the GT 78/8.  Have not tested it out on the field yet but from static hand pumping, the action looks and feel great for a PE8 rod.  The GT 78/8 is designed more for chugging while the longer 710/8 or 10 is more suited for stickbait play,  according to Yamaga Blanks and Ripple Fisher tester,  Richard Foong from Anglers Hut.

I must add that the rod not only look great but feels quite light for whole day casting.

Attached is a picture of the Blue Reef range.

Cheers.

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 10, 2011, 07:03:36 PM
Hey guys,
        Anyone had a chance to play with these rods yet, in particular the 7'10 stickbait models? Wondering how the 7'10/8 compares to the Ultimo 79mh?

Cheers chris

Sam Loh

September 11, 2011, 12:48:52 PM
I only test casted 710/10 and I was together that along with Ultimo 82MH. I must say that the 710/10 really impressed me. With 4" longer obviously the 82MH won on the casting distance, however apart from that I love every bit of the feel on the BlueReef. I felt it's has a softer tip than the 82MH thus allow me to work even a CherryPai 200 much better than the Ultimo yet i can cast Gamma200 to 50m with it which I couldn't achieve the same distance with the 82MH. I know the Gamma200 is overweight for both but I just want to have a feel the saturation point of individual blank.

The optimal casting lure weight on both are quite similar around 120-140g. Understand these rod are designed for stickbaits, any popper above 130g like Cubera 125 is the max for both with 82MH chugged a bit better than 710/10.

I dry loaded on 710/10 with STL10K on full drag and my buddy was kind enough to act as a GT so that I can asssess the down power of the 710/10. Because of its slightly shorter length and softer tip than the 82MH, it doesn't hurt my back as much as the 82MH while having enough power to turn head.

Cant wait to see how it will perform in live field in couple of months time. Just need one good GT to confirm all the goods feel I have had with 710/10.

Sam

Nick Wykeham-Martin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 27, 2011, 03:36:48 PM
Hi,

Im new to the forum. I just got back from a fishing road trip through Australia which included a fair bit of time in Exmouth. I picked up a Blue Reef GT710/8 from Expedition Tackle in Singapore matched with a Twinpower 12000sw before i left and was really happy with it. I dont have much experience with GT fishing and we didnt manage to land the monster GT's we were aiming for but we did land a few quite big sharks in the 100kg plus range on this rod and i was very happy with it! Will have to head off on another trip soon to try and get the monster GT though!

Antonino Augugliaro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 28, 2011, 05:40:55 PM
I only test casted 710/10 and I was together that along with Ultimo 82MH......
.......The optimal casting lure weight on both are quite similar around 120-140g. Understand these rod are designed for stickbaits, any popper above 130g like Cubera 125 is the max for both with 82MH chugged a bit better than 710/10.

For me this is a very good information. In dicember I'll got the chance to check 710/8 e 710/10, but from your impression I think I'll go to 710/10 as dedicate stick bait rod. Just now, I was thinking to 710/10 as stiffer rods compared to Ultimo 82MH, due to technical specification I red (max cw=200gr).

Sheldon Chee

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 29, 2011, 04:40:38 AM
Have to agree with Sam on this one as I too got a 710/10.

I had been looking for an 'all-day' rod and had initially single out the CV79/40 BUT since it's the weapon of the GT-gods getting one without drooling for one year waiting in line is almost impossible at that time.

So when specs for the GT710/10 came out it was seriously second best on paper already but the moment I held it, I knew it was coming home with me.

I will limit my comparisons also with the Ultimo82MH and the EP82/35 as those were the only ones around me to compare with.

The GT710/10 is very balanced and especially when paired with the SW10000. That said I was a little sceptical as I had wanted to a PE8 rod as my go-to but the moment it was loaded up and shooting stickbaits, everything just came together. In fact, it feels more like a PE8 with good reserves down low. So I'd imagine that the GT710/8 would feel more like a PE6 instead.

However, the clincher was how fast I could 'feel' the control of the rod when working the stickbaits. Cherry Pai 200, RealBait, Dartbait and SS Lures came alive with the soft tip. Eventhough rated to 190gm max lure weight, optimally it punches out best at 100-150gm. It is not too much of a slouch with poppers either and would be best at 100-130gm, tested with a E-Cup but the magic was with the El Toro 125gm. Since I pretty much know that I will be limiting my casting weights to max 150gm, this rod became a very good choice in addition to its length.

Ultimo82MH has a lot more grunt than the GT710/10 and personally I think it is more of a chugger although it could really push and work a Gamma 200, but then again at that weight i suppose even a Komodo can work it. It doesn't feel as sensitive and definitely stiffer even at 8'2"

EP82/38 feels a little simillar in terms of sensitivity and it casts buttery smooth; perhaps it's the length but it feels slightly more forgiving than the 710/10. I'm seriously considering this as my distance rod.

I'm still very curious about the CV79/40F though ..... if only the pocket can go deep enough :o

Hope this helps your decision a little better.....
Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 05:04:37 AM by Sheldon Chee

Antonino Augugliaro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 25, 2012, 07:49:00 AM
I Sheldon, thanks a lot for detailes and comparison. I have not had the chance to try these items, but I liked very much your description of 710/10 ... shall be my rod for sure...
Thanks again