voodoo

Adventure Fishing Fitness
November 05, 2007, 01:07:32 PM
I'm off with a few other members to Marion Reef mid next year for a week of heavy GT popping.

An expensive (possibly once in a lifetime) trip that I hope will bring me some great fishing moments. 

Obviously it pays to be pretty well conditioned before undertaking one of these trip. Hours of casting each day, day after day and the occasional battle with a crazy GT will no doubt take it's toll on even the fittest fisherman.

My question to those who have been on these trips before is what part gets sore first? , what sort of training have you done prior to previous trips and what is the best way to get conditioned so that I can squeeze every last cast out until the end of the trip?

I woudl be interested to hear of anyone's experience training for past trips and what worked, what didn't. maybe this information is useful for anyone else who plans on getting the most out of extended GT fishing trips in the future.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Adventure Fishing Fitness
November 05, 2007, 06:40:07 PM
Hi Josh - which week are you going out to Marion Reef on? (I've just been reminded you're on the same week as me)

Marion won't be only heavy GT popping. There is plenty of lighter applications available at Marion as well as heavy jigging. Of course, if all you want to do is heavy popping, then I am sure they can accommodate that!

A lot it comes down to technique so I'd suggest you take the time to practice your casting and to make the effort to get good at it. In terms of fitness, heavy popping needs a certain level of fitness to go the whole day but you don't need to be able to run a marathon. Just be sensible because if you continue casting when you're %^$$#, you'll hook a fish at the worst possible time. The casting will hurt you but in my view, not as much as the constant popping motion. There is a certain economy of movement you learn with experience in terms of the repetitive motion of casting and retrieving and until then, well, it's really hard work!  ;D

It is a good idea to have an assortment of stickbaits as these will give you a rest in comparison to the popping motion. Also, use poppers of a size which are not going to kill you.

I'd strongly suggest that you don't go out there and cast your#$!@# off early on. You don't need to do this and all you will do is compromise your ability to last the whole week. Remember that you have to last six days! In terms of what hurts first, well, that depends on each individual but in general, you will your shoulders, arms and traps really start to feel very weary as the trip goes out. Another part that really starts to die on you are your hands. You will know exactly what I mean by the time you get to about the fifth day when the popping claw forms. For me, I don't get much of a problem with the shoulders and arms. The popping claw is my worst enemy.

Getting into the gym to build strength never hurt anyone when it comes to popper fishing. This is an important aspect of the sport and good old fashioned pulling power has many times been the difference between winning or losing a fight.

Just remember six days is a lot of days. When you get tired, give yourself a break or go try some other form of fishing for a while. Pace yourself. I'm not too proud to say I'm %^$%## and that i want to catch some reefies for a break!
Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 01:54:05 PM by Brandon Khoo
If it swims; I want to catch it!

voodoo

November 06, 2007, 08:36:50 PM
Very useful run down on what to expect.

thanks Brandon.

That popping claw sounds nasty!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 06, 2007, 08:41:39 PM
The popping claw is really bad. You'll know what I mean when you wake up in the morning and it's so hard (and painful) just trying to open and close your hands.

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
November 06, 2007, 10:04:56 PM
My hands feel like that after I dream about GT's  :o, Do I have a problem ???

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 06, 2007, 10:28:22 PM
yes, I think so. It is clear you have symptoms of an addiction!   :D

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
November 07, 2007, 07:14:31 PM
Brandon has pretty much hit it on the head.

Like most fishing, fitness really isn't an issue - however in my opinion popping/jigging fits into the extreme end of the spectrum. A good level of fitness is okay but being really fit can make a good trip - great.

In my opinion, the most vital task to do everytime you go popping which hasn't been mentioned is stretching. The physically demanding nature of this sport means that this is must. Just after you have applied your sunscreen even 10 minutes of streching on the way to your popping grounds is very effective. 15 minutes of stretching and cool-down during breaks and after fishing will also help.

For myself, it is more a matter of mind fatigue than actual soreness while popping. Sometimes you just hit a wall - try taking along some energy/chocolate bars. Also drink plenty of water.

As mentioned, make sure you get your techniques worked out before going on the trip. Practice in any body of water both the casting technique and the actual popping motions.

As for things i would recommend concentrating on prior to the trip it would be:
+ Develop/enhance lower back strength
+ Develop/enhance shoulder and arm strength
+ Using your complete outfit, load your rod and practice some of the positions - both stance and balancing.
+ Know the limits of your tackle

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 13, 2007, 11:47:38 AM
Hi Josh,

I found as a newbie all the sore points and others on my last trip away.  I recall pulling up pretty sore.
For my upcoming trip, a mate of mine works at a gym and is giving me excercises to do right now, 8 weeks away.  I'm amazed at how much some secondary muscles are so out of shape.  Areas like rotator cuffs in my shoulders and other targeted smaller muscle groups seem to have been totally neglected, although I kayak a few times a week and used to rock climb a lot also.
I will also follow the advise given and practice, stretch etc, but reckon physical preperation for me will make the trip a lot more enjoyable.
Not ideal spending top $'s on the trip, charters and gear and then not being able to fish to a level you had hoped for.

Cheers Dave

Ben Keller

November 13, 2007, 12:17:34 PM
Try deadlifts. Best exercise of all, for me anyway.

Warm up on 12 reps, then drop to around 8 (second warm up) then 5, then 2, then 2 then a heavy single, then a warm down set of around 10. Keep your back straight ALWAYS. This will work just about your whole body especially grip strength and lower back strength.

Dont listen to people at the gym when they say, 'oh, its too heavy, work on 'cuts' or getting 'buff' ( ;D ;D :D).

Graham Stevenson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 13, 2007, 06:09:15 PM
think I'm on the same trip as you next year.
Can only re iterate brandons comments with one addition.
I find my shoulders and particularly my elbow getting sore and invested in one of those elbow support bandages (for tennis elbow) before my trip to Bugatti this year.That probably saved my life.
The only other advice is to pace yourself and if you're tired have a drink and a rest.

Aaron Concord

November 26, 2007, 08:19:32 PM
Chinks in the physical armour can be enormous....
Some mornings on Odyseey had sooo much Tiger Balm and strapping tape I felt like putting on a Jane Fonda work out video for the customers, some of who were my best mates!!

Brandon and Luke have pretty well rapt it up.
Be prepared with Hat, the best polarized sunnies,gimble belt and casting gloves before casting.
Warm up/warm down...general stretching is important.
Have a lighter rod and a "Oh dear, that looks like danger" rod on board and use the appropriate gear the guide tells you to use for the conditions...no good using a 30cm blooper for a section of reef that has more red bass than GT's!!! You will wear yourself out...pace yourself!!
Drink a heck of a lot of water....being in possesd mode can make you dehydrated quickly which stuffs the muscles. Cast N Retrieve fishing can make you forget the essentials, like food n water!!
Have a good level of fitness is OK....to bounce back to fight a few more rounds and to feel good by day 6, be a Water polo champ like Chris Harrison...He and Mark Shannon are fishing machines!!!!!!!(Mark's just a big fit lad..not sure what he does for fitness other than travel fishing for GT's...would you need any more than that!!)
For me...Pilates has turned my crappy back to a point it now doesn't fold in a mild breeze, let alone holding onto a rod connected to a reef ruffian!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 26, 2007, 08:56:20 PM

Have a good level of fitness is OK....to bounce back to fight a few more rounds and to feel good by day 6, be a Water polo champ like Chris Harrison...He and Mark Shannon are fishing machines!!!!!!!(Mark's just a big fit lad..not sure what he does for fitness other than travel fishing for GT's...would you need any more than that!!)

Hi Aaron ,

Mark Shannon's exercise is running through the vineyard in the southern Italy every morning and as for Chris Harrison who was an Olympian Water polo athlete and now still managing the Australian water polo team , I am sure is in the pool often enough to do his work out .

Jon . 
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 26, 2007, 10:12:18 PM
I get the feeling that as a former elite athlete, Chris may be in a completely different ballpark to the rest of us!

Aaron Concord

November 26, 2007, 10:40:39 PM
Brandon,
He's not a small man...very fit and man can he pull!!
Filmed him on a 50kg GT that dragged us into the surf line crevases out at Wreck Reef...never seen such a great job done going hard on a big GT in absolutly hairy country only to get strung up in the coral!!
Awesome fight scene....he's been getting revenge here and there since.
That's what can happen...the fight of your dreams after 200 casts for the morning...it is brutal on everything!!

Jon,
Mark had a little bit of red while out with us....he's not a small lad either...can punch a 130gram popper 100m off a Carpenter Long Reef all day and have the Supa Popping 78UHL ready to fire when needed....he was another man on a mission!!! His distance ability and accuracy was brilliant.

It just showed how these guys rocked up with there "game faces" on!!
I know Japanese guys who quit smoking and drinking for a year and go to the gym just to last the distance!! They don't want to cramp up or be hurt on a GT of a lifetime...

If my body wasn't a temple of doom, I'd do the same!!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 26, 2007, 11:59:35 PM
Aaron ,

These are some of the most accomplished GT anglers whom I have met , the stranger is probably one of the best GT angler in the world , he will be fishing with NOMAD next month and his name is Pat Victorino from Hawaii . The others you know them all .

Jon .
Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 05:22:20 PM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .