Michael Evans

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Yamaga Blue Sniper 75/4
April 27, 2011, 11:56:58 AM
I have just recently bought this rod was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice on lure weights.

the rod is rated to cast 80g lures....can it stretch to 100g Cubera's and similar stick baits or is it best casting lures in the 60-80g range.

The inteded use is for inshore light med stickbait/popping for reef species, sml tuna etc with 35lb braid

Thanks in advance

Mick

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
Re: Yamaga Blue Sniper 75/4
April 27, 2011, 03:25:57 PM
Michael

I think the 100 Cubera might be stretching it, it seems happy around 60 - 80 grams tops.  Try the Heru Tuna 80, it is a bit lighter for casting and has a smaller cup for a better retreive on that rod, this would still be about the max for the rod though. 

Ideal would probably be something more like the Halco 135 Roosta!  I'm sure Dave Noble could shed some further light on casting weights for you, I think this is one of his light weight fav's.

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 27, 2011, 03:52:08 PM
I have fished this rod for the past year or so, I run 40lb JB braid on it and have cast lure weights from 30-80g unrigged. It would be asking alot of the rod if you were thinking about 100 cuberas, the tip section is just a tad on the light side to work cup faced lures of that size. Optimum casting weights in my opinion are from 50-60g unrigged.
AKA: Sunny

Michael Evans

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 27, 2011, 08:06:51 PM
Thanks Gents - Appreciate the advice (that's what I figured!)

cheers

Mick

Sam Loh

April 29, 2011, 10:31:34 AM
Hi Michael
I've been fishing with this rod for more than 2 years now. I pair it with twin power 6k loaded with avani PE5 for boat casting in Maldives. The setup cast a mile with yozuri sashimi bull 60g but that is the max I would go for popper with this rod. However for stickbait it works wonder on maria loaded 75g due to its soft tip, but I have pushed all the way recogn the max is hammerhead CherryPai 200 rigged with owner st66 no 4. So far my record landed GT with this rod is 20kg, I ve lost bigger not because of the rod but the twin power gave way. Hope that help.

Sam

Michael Evans

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 30, 2011, 07:20:40 AM
Thanks Sam - just what I was after.

I'll get to test it myself in a couple of weeks but figured stickbaits to 80 and poppers around 60.

cheers

Mick

Michael Evans

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 30, 2011, 08:07:12 PM
Having given the Yamaga a bit of a workout, (see Masandam 13-14 May in Trip report), I agree with all of the above. While I fished some 80g sticks for some of the trip, 60g seemed a much more optimal weight for casting/retrieve.

Very impressed with the strength of this rod down low - while the leader/Braid/reel were stretched to the limit on some big fish under load, I thought the rod a fair bit left!