Kurt Carlson

55kg Powerpro
May 30, 2011, 03:37:13 PM
Have seen that Powerpro now offers 55kg line.  I have only seen it available in the UK.  Anyone aware of it being available on this side of the planet?  It is supposed to be pe8 diameter.

Jamie Moir

Re: 55kg Powerpro
May 30, 2011, 04:35:47 PM
Friends don't let friends power pro.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
May 30, 2011, 06:14:14 PM
Power Pro 80lb and up is fine. Don't know about a 55kg rated line though.

Jamie Moir

May 31, 2011, 03:57:47 PM
Have a look at this and see how ppro shapes up in the heavier weights;

http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/4linetestingbuy.htm

Could be a little thick for what its ABS is, but its not really the worst performer. The lighter weight stuff is all over the shop!

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 31, 2011, 04:17:13 PM
Perhaps I got a dud spool, but I had a spool of 50lb power pro which repeatedly broke at between 8 and 10kg (tested by me using some scales).

I tried it in different parts of the spool, and the line was brand new. After one trip out, I tested it, then pulled it all off the reel.

My testing was not as scientific as the link that Jamie posted, but I used the same test with the same knot on some 30lb braid made by another manufacturer and it was breaking at around 13kg.

As mentioned, may have been a dud spool, but I would never use it again!

Kurt Carlson

May 31, 2011, 05:30:47 PM
I have been using PP for years and really appreciate personal experiences with this line.  I am looking to get something over 100lb for a new set I have.  I am keen to try some other brands, avoiding the $1 a meter brands. 

Vasko Dimoski

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 31, 2011, 09:47:47 PM
I have used power pro braid in 20lb when surf fishing and lost a good fish on it i then tested line with a set of scales when i got home  (70 turn Bimini  used) line broke at about 5kg it was the first and last time i have used power pro  i just put it down bad QC I'm sure its not every spool but have heard of to many people with same problems so il never use it again  :( 

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 02, 2011, 08:11:20 PM
I've been running 100lb pp on a 18000sw for a couple of months now and landed several quality fish including a 31kg specimen in a shallow Bommie ridden lagoon. Good times!  Im very impressed with this line, especially for the dollars but it's definitely not pe8 diameter so I can't see 55kg line being. 100lb pp is still slighted thicker than pe10 Varivas

Kurt Carlson

June 04, 2011, 06:50:26 PM
As I understand it, PE is a thickness rating.  100lb PP is .46mm, which is listed on the the spool I have making it just under PE8 (.47mm) The 55kg PP is stated as .46mm on a spec that I got from a Euro PP website.  Wondering  if we got estimated breaking strain against actual going on here. 

I have also run into flaws in the middle of a spool of PP 50lb, but it was around 5 years ago.  Have not seen that sense.  Hope the company has worked out these issues.  In the meantime, I plan on giving some other line brands a go.