Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DHL - aarrgghh!!!
June 23, 2011, 12:46:06 PM
I have just received an invoice from DHL stating that my shipment has incurred an inspection fee of $47.30 and that I should ring them to arrange payment. DHL is the only freight company I know that tries this trick. I suppose if even 25% of people pay this, they're way ahead.  >:(

I've just ignored it in the past.

No other freight company I have used charges this so-called inspection fee. To me, it is an absolute rort and these days, I try my best to make sure sites I buy from give me an option other than DHL like Fedex or USPS.

How do the rest of you treat this?!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: DHL - aarrgghh!!!
June 23, 2011, 12:57:22 PM
What new gear are you getting now, Brandon?  ::)

I just received a rod via DHL, no invoice for inspection fee, but it does appear that they have opened it for inspection.

I'm of the oppinion that if they wish to open my shipment then they can absorb this fee, not that it costs anything anyway.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 23, 2011, 01:06:21 PM
Wait for it - it will come. It takes about a week or so for them to send it out to you
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jaime Chee

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 23, 2011, 01:08:22 PM
Brandon

I have had the same problem getting some lures overseas. Here is the other thread with the same problem .

http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=3724.msg32042#msg32042

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 23, 2011, 01:18:38 PM
Wait for it - it will come. It takes about a week or so for them to send it out to you

ahhh damn, thought I got out of it for a second.

Won't be paying that's for sure.

Luke Seyrek

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
June 23, 2011, 01:18:54 PM
Hi Brandon,

I was unfortunately slugged with the same charge. I contacted DHL customer service to see if I could dispute it and query it and I was given the whole spiel about if a customs officer is sent to the delivery company to check contents of the package then the customer is liable and by importing goods into AU can inflict charges and to contact customs as it is not in DHL's hands and that there;s absolutely peanuts than can be done.
I then read through the customs web site and realised that by purchasing from overseas, yes unfortunately you may be liable for the cost of an inspection fee.  (Apparently wooden items are ones that can be inspected often due to them being able to carry bugs etc...)
I then contacted DHL back to pay the $47 and I got a really nice representative who told me she would waive the fee for me as it was the first occurrence and that I wasn't aware.   

Maybe try to call them and if your unsuccessful the first time, try again  :o

Tony Giang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 23, 2011, 01:34:17 PM
How come no one has contacted the ACCC or today/tonight?

Robin Loi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 23, 2011, 01:34:43 PM
happened to me here in Singapore too.. took delivery of some lures and within a week or less (can't really remember), an invoice was posted to me requesting me to pay for the inspection fee.. didn't know much about it so i blurrily paid up.. but since then, i've used postal and other couriers except DHL and am glad none has ever billed me for any inspection fee after i've taken delivery..

luke peters

June 23, 2011, 02:32:06 PM
I to have had this problem

I first got the customs tax as the item was over $1000 and then received a second charge. what can you do

And just a heads up, there is a DHL email virus doing the rounds. If you receive an email from DHL that you not expecting dont open the rar/zip file

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
June 23, 2011, 05:48:39 PM
Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 07:32:27 PM by doug terry

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
June 23, 2011, 06:23:20 PM
Brandon, I've had it happen 2 or 3 times now, each time I just ring and tell them I'm not paying it and I knew nothing about the charges (my description is a bit lengthier on the other post).  They'll waive it!

If they were fair dinkum, they wouldn't release the parcel until it had been paid!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 23, 2011, 06:41:17 PM
If they were fair dinkum, they wouldn't release the parcel until it had been paid!

Yeah this is what I though too. I have been contacted to pay Import Tax and Customs Duty on parcels in order to have it released but once I've already received it good luck...

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 23, 2011, 07:13:36 PM
Bollocks! My view on this is that DHL and every other freight company knows they bring stuff in and out of the country so they should be incorporating any inspection or handling fees into their pricing. The postage is paid at the senders end and if DHL can't communicate these extra fees to their overseas offices then its their bloody problem.
I have received heaps of goods that have been inspected by customs and haven't had to pay any fees yet and that's the way it should be.

My advice is that if you have received the goods and they are trying to get more money out of you, flat out refuse to pay. It should have been it the original shipping price.

Ahh doesn't it feel good to have a vent ;)

Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
June 23, 2011, 08:56:40 PM
Hands up here too- got my first bill from DHL a week or so ago. It won't be getting paid. Sorry mr DHL. You will have to pay for your own carton of Corona. Its a silly practice, because I've been a real fan of DHL until this. I've found them to be very quick with deliveries US to Australia. Generally about 3 or 4 days. USPS are twice the delivery time. And TNT are rough. I'm in furniture transport myself and was disgusted the day I went to collect some rods from the Bris TNT air freight depot. Throwing (chucking?) Freight around seems to be the go. I couldn't believe the rods were ok.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 23, 2011, 09:07:31 PM
It happened to me.

I rang them and told them I wanted an actual inspection number provided.

The lady said to me....'Look what do you want me to do..?...Drop the fee..?...because this isnt worth my time'
I said well it sure isnt worth my time either and yes I want you to drop the fee.

That was it...fee wiped and I considered the whole thing an absolute joke.

DHL are just trying to rip people off.

Pete