Paul de Bruijn

Advice on sunglasses
July 12, 2011, 02:39:26 AM
Hi guys, not really fishing tackle, but still important...

I'm looking for suitable sunglasses for a trip in April next year. This will be a 6 day trip, so we will be on the water the entire day. Only time to rest the eyes will be in the evening and night.

I was wondering which glasses you might recommend.

I currently have Oakley polarised glasses and they take out the glare of the surfacewater for the most part, but that's about it...

I'm looking for glasses that obviously protect the eyes, but also enable me to see some detail/colour etc

Thanks for your tips and advice.
Paul

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Advice on sunglasses
July 12, 2011, 04:21:42 AM
Hey Paul - I picked up some Costa Del Mar's after seeing the difference over my Oakley polarized on a flats trip last year - the guys could see a bit further and as a result I am convinced they could get a shot in early = more fish for them ...

I have the Blackfins with 580 green mirrors but the Permit's look good with side vents ...

http://www.costadelmar.com/store/BVModules/ProductTemplates/Costa%20-%20Product%20Layout/Product.aspx?productid=fcd48761-4af8-4ffc-9faa-240b1c2c5d8e

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 12, 2011, 07:00:47 AM
I second the costa's. I have Blackfins also but with the 580 blue mirror.

Pro's- excellent for vision, very hard to scratch the glass lenses, very comfy to wear and the soft rubber stuff hangs onto your face so you wont be worried about them falling off while hanging over the side :)

Con's- weight, with the glass lenses they are heavy compared to say oakleys with poly carb lenses etc. Customer service due to having to send glasses back to the states for warranty/repair, however I believe they are being sold in aus now so it might have improved.

Overall they are excellent. Worth the high price tag? Not sure, I haven't compared them to other high price specs.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 12, 2011, 07:58:13 AM
Never used the Costas but the styling of them is awesome, what ever the ones Warwick has are anyway.

I have Spotters with the brown photochromatic lenses - they are ok but i wouldn't buy them again.  The lenses are too light on bright days, fine for darker days I suppose.  Also with their strap it pushes on the side of my head and gives me a headache.  I also don't think much of the styling, i certainly wouldn't grab them to head down the shops, which for the money, you should be fine with - the Costas i would for sure.  But then maybe i'm just a snob - with a big head  ;D

PS relevant polarised sunnies lesson...i didn't have mine on when we were casting at a mackeral bustup the other day.  My mate did and says, woah, look at that shark!  I was like, shark, what shark?  Put my sunnies on and about 15m away there's a 10-12ft whaler cruising the surface coming straight at the boat - granted we weren't swimming bu i still like to know where those suckers are!
Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:03:42 AM by Travis Heaps

Michael Evans

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 12, 2011, 09:52:13 AM
Maui Jims all the way

Jamie Moir

July 12, 2011, 10:35:51 AM
I had a pair of the Spotters Thunders in the Penetrator photochromatic lens. No real problem with them, certainly happy to buy another pair sometime. They lasted for three years, which is decent enough. In that time one arm did snap and it was replaced fro the princely sum of $26inc post, so the back-up service is good too.

Incidentally, I got a pair of these Cablz in with my last semi-disposable sunnies from the US. They're pretty good too!

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
July 12, 2011, 11:09:41 AM
Paul, definately go with the polarised glasses as other have recommended. 
Go for glass over polycarb, harder to scratch and have better optical correctness - this makes a difference when you are moving your head around a lot to reduce eyestrain, such as repetitive casting and getting thrown around in a boat!
Of all the lens colours, I've found the brown / amber lenses to give much better glare reduction and surface penetration (ability to see below the water).  Admitedly, they are not always as dark as some of the green / grey lenses, but I have never found myself wanting more sun shade protection with them.
With regard to styles, open sided glases can let in some unwanted light which can bounce of the back of the lens (normally at sinrise or sunset), however blinkered glasses (with a solid sideflap) can impede peripheral vision.  This can be an issue in spotting action in the side of your vision, particular on a boat with a few people casting in close quarters.  I like to see when the guy beside me is winding up for a back cast out the corner of my eye...if you know what I mean.  Generally, glass lenses dont come in wrap around designs unless they are faceted...so you will look like a knob down at the local shops, if this is an issue to you!
Iv'e been using the amber lense Mako's for a few years now (in a regular style) and can't fault them.  Teamed up with a hat and buff, I manage to keep most unwanted light out from behind as well.  Cheers.

Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:11:50 AM by Peter Childs

Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 12, 2011, 01:19:42 PM
Oakley have some Fishing Specific Sunglasses in their range these days.

http://www.oakley.com/products/4869

http://au.oakley.com/products/6726/25080

http://www.oakley.com/products/5717/19856

Im ordering a pair of the Pitballs - I need a new pair of Oakleys.

Ben

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 12, 2011, 03:23:04 PM
I have got a couple of Revo H2O sunglasses which I use occasionally when wearing contact lenses but nowaday I prefer to use prescription polarized sunglasses . Revo H2O sunglasses were among the best in late 90's / early 00's , check this : http://www.revo.com/#/technologies/8-polarized-lab

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
July 12, 2011, 07:35:51 PM
Another vote for Costas.... and I agree with Peter on the Amber lenses... they are so much "gentler" and relaxing on the eyes in my opinion... I know most recommend the Blue/Gray lenses for offshore work, and amber for inshore, but I still prefer the Ambers whether inshore or offshore.... and as most Popping is done in "inshore" type waters, you will appreciate the Amber and the way it boosts the colour and contrast and cuts out the glare...
The Costas and others like Maui Jims ( which I've had and loved as well ) have superb polarization, make sure you get the 580 lenses if you go with the Costas..... and I vote glass lenses for sure... the plastic/polycarb lenses aren't worth sh*t in my opinion, they scratch so easily its a joke, and the difference in weight is negligable in my opinion....

I wear the Hammerheads from Costa del Mar, which fit my fat head, but they have so many size/style options I'm sure you'll find ones that fit and suit your style needs..... same with Maui

Another option would be KAENON glasses which have been getting amazing reviews from fishos round the world, but I've not had any experience with them..
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Stuart Wood

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
July 12, 2011, 08:04:09 PM
To me I don't care about the brand as long as it has the prescription in it!
Maui are brilliant and kaenon are very sharp!

Paul de Bruijn

July 12, 2011, 08:12:00 PM
Hi guys, thanks a lot for the replies.
I will take a look at the brands and options mentioned!

Ladd Yoshimura

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 13, 2011, 06:39:50 AM
I have the Oakley Straight w/deep blue lens... and absolutely cannot tell the difference between them my Arnette regular polarized glasses.

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 13, 2011, 07:13:04 PM
Take a look at Habervison IMHO best glasses on the market I got the copper/rose tint awesome could see things under water I never saw with my Action Optics and with the exchange rate between the USA$ and the AU$ it's a no brainer.

Carl Hollis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 13, 2011, 08:24:46 PM
Got a pair of Spotters for my bday and can not fault them. Great range and good for fishing, driving and general outdoors - in my case rock climbing.

Carlos
Carlos