Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi there

I ended up pulling the trigger and buying a Yamaga Blue Sniper 65/3 for soft plastics and light casting (mostly in Western Australia).

At the moment it has a 6000 size Saragosa on there, but it is a pretty heavy lump of a reel for the (very light) weight of the rod.

Looking to downsize to either a 4000 or 5000 size reel. I know that at least so far as the saragosas are concerned, the 5000 is only 0.6 ounces lighter (20.6 vs 21.2), whereas the 4000 is significantly lighter than the 6000 (12.5oz vs 21.2). There is 20% line capacity difference between the 4000 and the 5000, but drag pressure is the same at 22lb for each.

On paper the 4000 looks the go, but planning to also have a crack at knocking over a sailfish with it at Rompin in 3 weeks, so wondering if that extra 20% capacity will come in handy, also concerned that drag washers might be much smaller on the 4000 and smoke up on the first run with a saily..

Anyone tried any of these setups?

Dan

Ken Uechi

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Hey Dan,

I recently bought a Yamaga Blue Sniper 77/3 which I paired with a Stella 5000SW.  I use it mainly for casting smaller plugs from shore for small GT and bluefin trevally.  Though I have not caught anything that could put up a fight with this set up, I can tell that the rod is simply amazing.

The Stella 5000SW weighs around 14 ounces and it balances nicely with the Blue Sniper 77/3 which must weigh a small bit more than your 65/3.  As such, in terms of weight, a 12 ounce reel would probably be more fitting for your 65/3 but a 14 ounce reel would probably feel good too.  I would not want to sacrifice line capacity so if I were in your situation, I'd probably look for a lighter 5000-6000 size reel.
Ken

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
4500 Saltiga mate. Thats the way to go.

Chris

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Cheers but probably intend on sticking with Shimano (force of habit).

Going to take the rod to a tackle shop and test fit a heap tonight.

Sam Loh

Hi Dan, most of the regular in Rompin will advice to equip with at least 30lb and 300m for the sail there by exhausting it in 3 runs instead of fighting against it's brute power otherwise you will need a 10k reel (Shimano in this case) with at least 65lb provided that all terminal tackles able to hold.

I used Shimano 600 loaded with 200m PE4 and yamaga 75/4. Its first dash took 100m of line even at full drag. Managed to recover 50m before its 2nd dash of another 100m .. finally the captain had to start the boat engine otherwise i would have lost it.

Enjoy..