Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wiring / Re-wiring Poppers
August 11, 2011, 10:26:08 AM
Here's a "How to" on how I wire my poppers... ( I apologise in advance, I am not a hand model :P)

I think we all have some lures that could get another lease on life if we had them re-wired. This is only how I do it, there will be other ways or different techniques...Feel free to add on to the thread if you have some tips  8)

First up is the tools involved, most will have something lying around or a mate to pinch them off...

- Vice Grips
- Circlip Pliers ( Internal )
- 1.6mm 316 SS Wire
- Grommets
- Weights

First steps are to form a tow point eye in the wire....

About 50mm down the wire, grab with the narrow end of the pliers and bend to 45 degrees.

Re-grip further up on the pliers.

Use your thumb and bend the wire over, you will need to re-position the pliers through the bend.

Now grab the tag end with the Vice Grips, use the eye formed to put the round pliers into.

Start wrapping, keeping things snug and tidy.

Trim up the end and your done... 3 wraps is plenty, anymore your wasting time and wire.

Now you have a solid connection you can wire up the popper body...

Grab some poppers, you may have to twist / cut the old wire form your popper you want to re-wire...These are fresh off the dryer.

Thread the wire in with the grommet, this is also where you would replace swivels etc... Make sure the wire passes through the swivel eye  ;) I line up the tow point eye to where I like it ( horizontal ) If you want to run single hooks remember to bend the wire on the tail horizontal aswell.

Next up, add the weight or however your lure goes together and grab right down tight with the pliers ( narrow end )

Again, use your thumb and bend to 45 degrees.

Re-position the pliers further up to form the eye of the wrap.

Push the wire over with your thumb.

Re-position the pliers and follow through with the bend.

Grab the tag end with the Vise Grips, and start the wraps keeping the wire tight and tidy.

Keep wrapping, the wire will soon become tight.

Before going any further, check to see how your eye lines up, make any adjustment before the next step.

Squeeze the wrap, you will feel the last wrap "pop" under the others. This will pull the wire tight, sometimes you may be able to make another wrap and squeeze again. Be careful you could split the body going to tight  :o

You could snip off the tag now and you would be done. The secret is to keep the wrap as short as possible to limit any leverage.

I personally double back up my wrap because I like the look and its a bit "beefier"

All done, go fishing  ;)

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Wiring / Re-wiring Poppers
August 11, 2011, 10:36:35 AM
thanks for this, poppers have a wicked paint job too mate.  8)

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 11, 2011, 10:40:45 AM
thanks for this, poppers have a wicked paint job too mate.  8)

That's cool Dan, I hope you get something out of it  :)

The paint is a new one for me, it colour shifts... Blue, Gold and Green... I am liking it  8)

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 11, 2011, 10:46:17 AM
Great guide Sam  8)

When are your GT poppers going to be ready?

Rick Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 11, 2011, 11:06:56 AM
Thanks for that tutorial. Very helpful!

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 11, 2011, 12:48:45 PM
Awesome demo Sam, thanks for sharing.

I currently do my wiring with similar principles, but I don't have those pliers with rounded jaws...definitely need to get myself some. I form a eyelet loop around an appropriate sized drill bit, and then stick the almost-closed loop into a vice. Then grab the tag end with my normal pliers and wrap tightly. As you can see, my method is messier and more difficult than yours! I think I will be abandoning it now, having seen your method.  ;D

I have only recently started doing a double wrap of wire with the tag end, but with my dud method, it's sometimes difficult getting the right tension on the thru-wire.

Thanks for showing me the light!

Angus

Gil Ayuyao

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
August 11, 2011, 01:58:03 PM
Thanks Sam.  Just got some round nose pliers and will be rigging some lure bodies this weekend! 

Graham Blackmore

• Fusilier
  • fisherman first diver second
  • Liked:
August 11, 2011, 04:57:10 PM
super post - many thanks.

What wire do you use?

Dave Hudson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 11, 2011, 06:02:46 PM
Great post Sam, thanks for the info, your lures look great  8)

Luke Seyrek

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 11, 2011, 09:33:29 PM
Thanks for sharing Sam, lures are looking fantastic!

Alexandre Charbit

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 12, 2011, 04:12:09 AM
super post - many thanks.

What wire do you use?

Hi,
Sam does mention 1.6mm 316 SS Wire

very instructive pics, and beautiful lures, thanks!
cheers,
Alexandre

Graham Blackmore

• Fusilier
  • fisherman first diver second
  • Liked:
August 12, 2011, 04:36:50 AM
hehe - yes he does sorry  :-[

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 12, 2011, 11:12:16 AM
Great guide Sam  8)

When are your GT poppers going to be ready?

They will need some testing yet and I need to decide on just what I will make ???... Still focusing on getting a Stick Bait sorted for our Kingies, this will more than likely cross-over to GT's though. But some big cup poppers will be in order aswell  ;)

The popper in the photo is 100g, 130mm long and has a 38mm cup... It will raise and get the GT's to bite also. You can swim it too, I think that helps turning follows into bites.

Will keep you lot posted as things evolve  8)

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 12, 2011, 03:04:36 PM
That's cool Angus!

Let us know how you get on with the wiring...I use a similar twist/wrap technique for stick baits when you need a slimmer wrap to fit in the nose of a bait.

Been baking up many lures lately?  ;)

Awesome demo Sam, thanks for sharing.

I currently do my wiring with similar principles, but I don't have those pliers with rounded jaws...definitely need to get myself some. I form a eyelet loop around an appropriate sized drill bit, and then stick the almost-closed loop into a vice. Then grab the tag end with my normal pliers and wrap tightly. As you can see, my method is messier and more difficult than yours! I think I will be abandoning it now, having seen your method.  ;D

I have only recently started doing a double wrap of wire with the tag end, but with my dud method, it's sometimes difficult getting the right tension on the thru-wire.

Thanks for showing me the light!

Angus

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 13, 2011, 10:11:41 AM
That's cool Angus!

Let us know how you get on with the wiring...I use a similar twist/wrap technique for stick baits when you need a slimmer wrap to fit in the nose of a bait.

Been baking up many lures lately?  ;)

Hi Sam,

Unfortunately, not many lures on my workbench at the moment, work has a habit of getting in the way of lure making activities for me these days.  :(

But at least when I get back to finishing a few creations, I'll know the best way to wire them! Will share some pics whenever I get to that stage.

Thanks again
Angus