Robert Balkow

Your advice for Ripple Fisher rods needed!
September 09, 2011, 05:19:10 AM
Hello guys,

i am looking for a new rod out of the Ripple Fisher range to work large poppers and stickbaits (180-230g) with enought backbone to stop big GTs before getting reefed.
I am thinking about buying the GT79H but i have not the possibility to get my hands on one before buying it. Is this rod the right choice or should i better take the GT78XH but i am not sure!
Does anyone has some experiences with both rods?
Thanks in advance!

Robert

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Your advice for Ripple Fisher rods needed!
September 09, 2011, 06:39:27 AM
Rob, you won't go too far wrong with the Ripples. The two most suitable rods for large poppers in the range are the 79H and the 78XH. The only thing I would say to you though is that you want to be sure you can manage them. If you have a reasonable level of strength and fitness, the 79H should be manageable (unless you weigh 60kg) but with the 78XH, I can only say to approach with caution! This is an absolute brute of a rod and I really would not recommend it unless you had the size and strength to manage it. I am personally scared of this rod. I fished the prototype a few years back (2008, I think) and I am not embarrassed to admit that the rod broke me. I had a fish of some 30-35kg that got into the current. I held on as long as I could but some 15 minutes later, I needed an ambulance!

These rods are made to work big poppers and fish PE10-12 but on their ability to stop big GTs before getting reefed, well, I don't really think that is a realistic ambition. If you hook a really big fish and it is determined to get down into a reef 40m away, no rod is going to stop that fish, not even on 20kg of drag and there are very, very few guys who could hold onto a rod at that drag setting.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 09, 2011, 09:34:59 AM
Looks like one of these might just be what I am looking for.... Which one is less brutal on the fisherman?

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 09, 2011, 10:50:10 AM
Looks like one of these might just be what I am looking for.... Which one is less brutal on the fisherman?

That would be the 79H.

Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 09, 2011, 11:54:55 AM
Hi Rob
 Just got back from New Caledonia, used the RF79h. Awesome big rod. Ripper fishers are very good casting rods. 79h is perfect for casting big chugger, and pop it with ease. I was using full-scale king kong on the rod and it pop it nicely. So easy to pop with big chiggers. I also use big foot 230, no problem. These rod has got power when lifting fish. Awesome rod for big fish. Mine is the Ferrari red with custom handle, you can see the bend on the rod under the topic reports on expedition
PM me if you want more info.

Married with children on the way

Ricky L
Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:04:38 PM by Ricky Lim

Robert Balkow

September 09, 2011, 05:22:07 PM
Thanks so far!
The experiences and opinions showed what i already expexted.
This rod should be for working big chuggers and stickbaits (Orion Big Foot 230 and Nambas) and i think i will go with the 79H.
For smaller stickbaits and poppers i have a customized Race Point 250 - awesome rod!

@Rick & Brandon
Thanks a lot!

Rob
Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:26:00 PM by Robert Balkow

Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 09, 2011, 06:29:11 PM
Hi rob
I just PM you regard of RF 79H. Let me know what you think.

Ricky L

Robert Tapert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 10, 2011, 11:53:00 AM
Having just  fished with  Ricky I  can say  that  the rod performed beautifully.  Ricky  never struggled under it. However he is about to  struggle under a mountain of nappies!!!!

Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 10, 2011, 08:32:29 PM
Hi! Rob T

Thankz Rob thanks... :- :-\ and you call me a trouble maker!! (takes one to know one ;)
Hei was fun fishing with u, had good laughs, not bad for an old fella. ;D
 Might take up your offer and head down to new Zealand one day and cause some trouble.

Peace out my friend

Rick